When you buy from an out of state dealer...servicing

duggram

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sport
I'm buying a JL out of Idaho and I live in New Mexico. What kind of problems will I have going to local jeep dealers trying to get my Jeep serviced/repaired? Are there any suggestions on how to approach the local service department? Jeeps are over priced in NM. A good used Jeep sells for almost as much as new list price. So I went to Dave Smith's in Kellogg and I'm saving a bunch over local prices. Any advice?
Sponsored

AMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG, BMW G650GS
I'm buying a JL out of Idaho and I live in New Mexico. What kind of problems will I have going to local jeep dealers trying to get my Jeep serviced/repaired? Are there any suggestions on how to approach the local service department? Jeeps are over priced in NM. A good used Jeep sells for almost as much as new list price. So I went to Dave Smith's in Kellogg and I'm saving a bunch over local prices. Any advice?
Any dealership will service your Jeep... you don't have to go to the dealership where you bought it.

SpringsJL

First Name
Cage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
Yep you can go to any Jeep Dealership, I go to a different one for all my service. Don’t care for JD I bought from lousy workers.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Agreed. My local dealer is happy to service my Jeep even though I bought from someone else.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Dealerships can turn you down for an appointment but it's far more the exception than the rule: giving priority to customers who purchased there.

But that said, I'd always buy my Wrangler primarily on best price. The whole idea of having a dealer network is that service should be available to you wherever you go or wish to have your rig serviced.

Dealerships largely make their money on service. I haven't had this problem.

I bought at Koons and got 5% off invoice. Before doing so I brought the offer to my local dealership and asked if they'd even come close, say 3% off. They wouldn't go lower than invoice.

In no way do I lose sleep over the fact that they lost the sale. Dealerships who legitimately claim they can't make money doing such deals need to get into the volume sales business where FCA will grant them incentives for moving lots of product, that they can then in turn share with the customer. I choose not to shop at Dealerships who wish to sell less rigs at higher markup. If they can turn my offer away, I can turn theirs away. That's free markets.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Call and make an appointment. Or better yet, make an appointment online if available. They will take your money. I wouldn't tell them you bought it somewhere else unless they ask. The only reason they may ask is if they already have your Jeep in their system.

Someone else posted in another thread that their local dealer wouldn't service their out of state Jeep. That dealer is probably far and away in the minority.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Well, what other people said are true, dealerships are bound to manufacturers' contract to service any car within that brand. They are less motivated to do warranty work since they are paid at a negotiated reduced hourly rate. They will be more likely to accommodate you if you pay out of your own pocket. It is all about money, and no one will deny money.

Since every dealer is running semi-independently, there will be good ones and bad ones and manufacturer (Jeep) really cannot do much. That is why I would recommend, if the price difference between your local dealer and an out-of-state dealer is only a couple of hundred bucks, just swallow it. Buying Wrangler is almost like a gamble or lottery (probably exaggerated). For me, I push my sales person and he pushed the service department, so everything I need is at priority, that is worth a couple of hundred bucks alone.

The model of dealership is so yesterday, and manufacturer should take responsibility to setup their own network (if not sale, at least servicing network). Tesla is doing exactly this.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Most dealers it doesn’t matter where you bought. We live in a mobile society with a lot of people moving every couple of years.
Some dealers may prioritize their sales customers, that’s their right. They also might push back installing a lift kit in favor of getting people repaired and back on the road. Short answer is all dealers are different, but except for a very few, it doesn’t matter.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Like others have said, you can take it to any dealership. Gone are the days where dealerships were difficult if you didn't buy the jeep from them.

In fact, the dealership that I bought my 2019 JLUR from said they couldn't get me in until next year for service. I explained the issue and that it is unsafe to drive. The service advisor said "well it is better for the jeep to sit at your house until next month than on our lot..."

I called another dealership and they made an appointment for me this coming Tuesday.

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
Duggram, you might want to look at this thread:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...e-i-didn’t-buy-there.18884/page-5#post-461231

Sponsored

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
Duggram, I'm looking at doing the same thing as you. I am looking at the same dealership as you in Kellogg ID because of their prices are supposed to be the lowest in the CONUS. And the money saved, I can take a great Jeep adventure driving back to Ft Worth TX.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Duggram, I'm looking at doing the same thing as you. I am looking at the same dealership as you in Kellogg ID because of their prices are supposed to be the lowest in the CONUS. And the money saved, I can take a great Jeep adventure driving back to Ft Worth TX.
Fly out to Vegas and drive it back, might even win enough at the tables to buy a few goodies :)
Ours was delivered to dealer a few days ago (Jim Marsh Jeep Crysler) and we'll be heading out there in Jan. trading on our older Maxima and driving the JL home :) Got it 5% below invoice and they are a high volume seller.
Sponsored