When to upgrade ball joints with 37s?

Tank (Rubicon)

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Has anyone gone with the Ball Joint deletes?? From what I've seen they seem stronger and better then a standard ball joint, yet if their so good why isn't everyone using them?
I’m looking into ball joint deletes for 2012 Rubicon. Anyone have any specific warnings before I make the change? Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Spartan-463

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUR
I’m looking into ball joint deletes for 2012 Rubicon. Anyone have any specific warnings before I make the change? Thanks in advance
In the process of changing my BJ's on my JK. Decided against the BJ deletes as the more I heard, they are apparently very squeeky when turning, alright for rock crawlers not soo much day to day. But this is only what I read, not first hand. Ended up just going with some Moog as the parts soo had then and I really needed to get this job done before I'm too busy.

Gripster

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2D
For those who make it 40k miles on original ball joints, how often do they require some retorque? I torqued mine to check factory (after death wobble at 3k) and basically got one cotter pin rotation (not really but then you have to keep going to next available slot). Is the plastic sleeve on the ball joint or the taper shaft?

Reactions: J0E

Tank (Rubicon)

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Has anyone gone with the Ball Joint deletes?? From what I've seen they seem stronger and better then a standard ball joint, yet if their so good why isn't everyone using them?
Ordered deletes yesterday and they’re arriving on the 12th and being installed on the 16th so I think I’ll make some updates at regular intervals here and give my observations as a test case. I know to expect stiffness for a couple months but if I never have to replace them again then the $1300 (CAN) will be ok.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Allegedly the american iron deletes don’t make as much noise as they did before. Not sure id wanna run them over the dynatrac BJs.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
In the process of changing my BJ's on my JK. Decided against the BJ deletes as the more I heard, they are apparently very squeeky when turning, alright for rock crawlers not soo much day to day. But this is only what I read, not first hand. Ended up just going with some Moog as the parts soo had then and I really needed to get this job done before I'm too busy.
Which Moog part numbers did you use?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
For those who make it 40k miles on original ball joints, how often do they require some retorque? I torqued mine to check factory (after death wobble at 3k) and basically got one cotter pin rotation (not really but then you have to keep going to next available slot). Is the plastic sleeve on the ball joint or the taper shaft?
If you are tightening further, it is drawing the taper shank deeper into the knuckle tapered hole. With aluminum knuckles, this likely means the aluminum is giving a bit.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I just replaced mine with the Dynatrac HD rebuildable ball joints. I have the 2021 JLUR with stock wheels and tires and 23,000 miles. I have moderate mechanical abilities and performed the swap myself. I uploaded a video of the passenger side. Most videos only show the driver side, so I figured i would show the passenger side since you have to remove the FAD.

Please forgive the poor camera skills ;)
I didn't have to remove the FAD to install my Dynatrac balljoints and Reid iron knuckles. Just pulled the shafts like it wasn't there.
Sponsored