When to unmarry tazar JL mini

MichaelB887

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
Hi guys! I’m bringing my JLU in for it’s first oil change. I recently put a lift and bigger tires on it too. I use the Tazar JL mini for recalibrating the speedometer. My question is do I need to unmarry it for an oil change? Is there certain things it needs unmarried for? Or is it every dealer trip? Thanks!
Sponsored

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
I did 1st time, after that no. Never been questioned about it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@MichaelB887
@Dagwood

The problem is.. even when you bring the JL in for an oil change, there is a chance the vehicle will be hooked up to the wiTech II ..... it is not unusual for a dealer to do so... to do you a favor or do themselves a favor (looking for work/ additional charges to FCA)....

So, best bet is to always unmarry and remove the hardware anytime you take the JL to the dealership Service Dept...

WHY.... well read here.... read the whole post and you will understand why...
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tazer-mini-needs-to-stay-married.61293/post-1310209

Also, though the dealership Tech / Dealer may not care that you have a Tazer installed..... do remember the wiTECH II reports all directly to FCA and FCA cares... takes issues with ...that you have a Tazer JL.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Michael,

Here's a pretty good description of why you want to unmarry your Tazer on any dealership visit. Essentially you have very little control of what they can do to your vehicle when at the dealer.

Granted the express lane is not technically done by the service department mechanics and technicians but rather by some entry level oil jock. If the dealership has an order by corporate to push a software update, they will. They'll only likely inform you after the fact since they're getting paid directly from corporate no pre-authorization is required. Especially, if it's safety related.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tazer-mini-needs-to-stay-married.61293/#post-1310209

Jay

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

OP
OP
MichaelB887

MichaelB887

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@MichaelB887
@Dagwood

The problem is.. even when you bring the JL in for an oil change, there is a chance the vehicle will be hooked up to the wiTech II ..... it is not unusual for a dealer to do so... to do you a favor or do themselves a favor (looking for work/ additional charges to FCA)....

So, best bet is to always unmarry and remove the hardware anytime you take the JL to the dealership Service Dept...

WHY.... well read here.... read the whole post and you will understand why...
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tazer-mini-needs-to-stay-married.61293/post-1310209

Also, though the dealership Tech / Dealer may not care that you have a Tazer installed..... do remember the wiTECH II reports all directly to FCA and FCA cares... takes issues with ...that you have a Tazer JL.
Thank you!

OP
OP
MichaelB887

MichaelB887

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Michael,

Here's a pretty good description of why you want to unmarry your Tazer on any dealership visit. Essentially you have very little control of what they can do to your vehicle when at the dealer.

Granted the express lane is not technically done by the service department mechanics and technicians but rather by some entry level oil jock. If the dealership has an order by corporate to push a software update, they will. They'll only likely inform you after the fact since they're getting paid directly from corporate no pre-authorization is required. Especially, if it's safety related.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tazer-mini-needs-to-stay-married.61293/#post-1310209

Jay
Much appreciated!

timize

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willy's
First time tazer user here, and I am due for an oil change tomorrow. I have already unmarried the tazer. Do I also need to reconnect the cables or is it safe to leave them unattached ?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First time tazer user here, and I am due for an oil change tomorrow. I have already unmarried the tazer. Do I also need to reconnect the cables or is it safe to leave them unattached ?
@timize
Reconnect!

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
... If the dealership has an order by corporate to push a software update, they will. They'll only likely inform you after the fact since they're getting paid directly from corporate no pre-authorization is required. Especially, if it's safety related.
Hey Jay. Not for a second do I doubt your words...you know I always respect what you have to say even if I disagree.

That said--and not that I have an issue with flashing a rig without consent when safety is improved or addressed as a result--but I wonder what gives the dealer/FCA the right to do this without the owner's prior consent; not that IMHO any owner in their right mind should turn such things down.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Andy,

In a perfect world you would be correct.

However, I've been on the inside where some emission related tweak was required by federal mandate. However, as long as Corporate updated all the affected vehicles in the supply, manufacturing, delivery and service chains, no recall would be issued. Still, the company had to make every effort to apply the emissions update to as many vehicles as they could.

Since there was no direct impact to any individual customer, but rather the overall country as a whole, no pre-authorization would be required. The customer would just blissfully (yet unknowingly) drive away in a much environmentally cleaner car.

This happened on at least a half dozen occasions in my decade and a half career at Chrysler. Many others at the other car manufacturers I'm sure as well.

For safety related issues, a recall or service campaign would be used to inform the owner to bring their car in for corrective action at no cost to them. However, this would happen only for the most severe types of safety concerns. For minor updates, such as throttle response or other driveability improvements, these are sometimes 'pushed' to the current fleet of sold units wherever possible just to minimize or hide the issue from becoming widespread knowledge and thus becoming a public relations concern.

If, and only if, the company is unwilling to pay for some recommended (but optional) improvement will they solicit pre-authorization for payment. Otherwise, just like with any modern End User License Agreement (EULA), they'll do whatever is in their best interest. You can neither complain or hold them liable. You're purchase is solely your responsibility and they won't be liable for much of anything beyond what they can get away with by law. Which is typically only safety or emissions related functionality.

Essentially, you would be naive to think they won't quietly 'improve' your vehicle for yours or others benefit everytime they can put their mitts on your vehicle. I think by law they do have to disclose to you that they have done so. But its certainly a beg for forgiveness rather than permission type of environment.

Resistance isn't futile. It's irrelevant.

Jay

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just got a notification about an over the air update for the Uconnect system. Do I need to unmarry the Tazer mini for this? I hit reschedule to select a date and time and when I opened the door of the Jeep to grab my phone to take a photo the Jeep cut off and the screen disappeared. It’s asleep now so I’m assuming it will prompt me again and it didn’t actually schedule the update. Any reason why I shouldn’t leave the Tazer plugged in? My understanding is it copies the current setup when it is first married so if I leave it plugged in during the update then the update won’t be there when I later unmarried it... someone please school me on this. I can’t fix this with a hammer and it annoys me. 😅

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just got a notification about an over the air update for the Uconnect system. Do I need to unmarry the Tazer mini for this? I hit reschedule to select a date and time and when I opened the door of the Jeep to grab my phone to take a photo the Jeep cut off and the screen disappeared. It’s asleep now so I’m assuming it will prompt me again and it didn’t actually schedule the update. Any reason why I shouldn’t leave the Tazer plugged in? My understanding is it copies the current setup when it is first married so if I leave it plugged in during the update then the update won’t be there when I later unmarried it... someone please school me on this. I can’t fix this with a hammer and it annoys me. 😅
@Will

I was a very adopter of the Tazer JL. Installed one (3 yrs ago almost) when they first hit the market... My 8.4 radio received UConnect updates twice, while my Tazer JL was installed.

I have read a couple of posts over the last 3 yrs. where guys claimed/thought they were not getting UConnect updates because they had a Tazer JL installed but these posts were not founded..

Also, a couple of guys asked/reached out to the representatives of UConnect that said the Tazer Jl could prevent updates.... but again, this was never founded.

Very easy to unmarry the Tazer JL and remove the hardware, so if it gives yo piece of mind then do this.... Again, should not be necessary...

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I just updated mine and left the Tazer married. I also had it married last time I got an OTA update (back in the summer of 2018).

IMO you’re fine to leave it in place.
Sponsored