Sponsored

When to negotiate price on an order

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
When you order a vehicle, at what point do you negotiate price? I had assumed price was agreed to prior to ordering, however I just read a thread where the buyer negotiated when his JLUR had arrived. I have also read that the incentives in affect at the time of ordering may not be when it comes in, in which case you would not be eligible for them.

Iā€™d hate to order from a dealer and not find out until it came in that they wouldnā€™t give me a deal I thought was fair.

Iā€™m planning on ordering rather than buying off the shelf. My plan was to contact a bunch of dealers with my build specs and requesting their out the door numbers for the build.

Thanks
Sponsored

WrongWheelDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, Z06 Corvette, Fiesta ST, Polaris Slingshot
I wanted to have a set in stone price prior to my order. Who's to say when it arrives the dealer says MSRP price only.

JohnnyB54

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
When you order a vehicle, at what point do you negotiate price? I had assumed price was agreed to prior to ordering, however I just read a thread where the buyer negotiated when his JLUR had arrived. I have also read that the incentives in affect at the time of ordering may not be when it comes in, in which case you would not be eligible for them.

Iā€™d hate to order from a dealer and not find out until it came in that they wouldnā€™t give me a deal I thought was fair.

Iā€™m planning on ordering rather than buying off the shelf. My plan was to contact a bunch of dealers with my build specs and requesting their out the door numbers for the build.

Thanks
Your price should be negotiated at time of the order.

JDinSOCal

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKUR Anvil, '17 4Runner TRD
Vehicle Showcase
At the time you order. And make sure you get everything in writing! I ordered mine and luckily I had all my ducks in a row when it came time for delivery. The salesman who was originally helping my was let go before my order came in and they tried to change things up on me more than once.

Nicolas5150

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2013 Dodge Dart
So just giving you my personal buying experience on a 19 JLR factory order.

I called some of the dealers that have been known to do several percent under invoice and I got some quotes from them sent over and began to compare.

Once I had the lowest offer I started calling some dealers closer to me and most were willing to match the price I was given from the other dealership.

I went into the dealership I was most comfortable buying from and tested some 18s that were similar and then went back in to go over the build with the agreed upon price one more time.

I signed it at the bottom to lock in the price at that value. I had asked about Tread lightly and if financing or cash could get the deal down a bit more. (Side note the lowest priced dealer needed the TL and financing, this dealership matched it with no TL needed and any purchase method.)

They had said that I can try and negotiate the price even lower when I get to finance but I do feel comfortable with the price, but of course if I can get it lower I will try my best to do so.

I would suggest getting the lowest price you can upfront (in writing) and feel comfortable with it before ordering. If you can lower it at pickup / point of sale even better.

MSRP on mine was 49622 and before tax, title and (150 doc fee) I got it down to 42,920

Sponsored

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR

I called some of the dealers that have been known to do several percent under invoice and I got some quotes from them sent over and began to compare.

Once I had the lowest offer I started calling some dealers closer to me and most were willing to match the price I was given from the other dealership.

I went into the dealership I was most comfortable buying from and tested some 18s that were similar and then went back in to go over the build with the agreed upon price one more time.

I signed it at the bottom to lock in the price at that value. I had asked about Tread lightly and if financing or cash could get the deal down a bit more. (Side note the lowest priced dealer needed the TL and financing, this dealership matched it with no TL needed and any purchase method.)

They had said that I can try and negotiate the price even lower when I get to finance but I do feel comfortable with the price, but of course if I can get it lower I will try my best to do so.

I would suggest getting the lowest price you can upfront (in writing) and feel comfortable with it before ordering. If you can lower it at pickup / point of sale even better.

MSRP on mine was 49622 and before tax, title and (150 doc fee) I got it down to 42,920
Thatā€™s a good discount, do you mind sharing who you used?

OP
OP
cjaama

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

That's more or less my plan. Thanks

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
6% below invoice at Tyson Motors in shore wood Illinois

5F1D3CF3-29AD-4F3A-8A48-FDDF7CF77703.png

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
Ask for Jason

8A7C9C8C-5764-4DE8-9722-9F3B74812459.jpeg

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
You should negotiate and come to an established price prior to the jeep being ordered. If you didn't do this, they assume you are paying MSRP. You have very little leverage trying to negotiate after the fact. They know you just waited months for the jeep and have you by the balls.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
As far as I'm concerned, you negotiate before the order and then both parties stand by their word after the order comes in. To agree to a price when you order it and to try to get a lower price once the dealer has received it is just tacky. If there are some new incentives that might be applicable when the vehicle is delivered, just put a clause in the sales agreement that any new incentives will be applicable in addition to the agreed upon sales price.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75th Anniversary (2016) WK2 Trail Rated Laredo in Recon Green
Occupation
Retired Navy (2004) Now, Loafer & Fly Fisher

Thanks
I've always pondered and had stomach growling when entering a Dealership with the intent to Finally want to place an order !
I've never had a sales manager allow an "Out The Door" Price - excuse ? Too many variables, which can certainly be "tru-ish" !
But, I now (oh say since 2003) insist on an "Official signed, sealed sales-document" of some kind as My Proof at final time of delivery (could be months off when you could get the, "I don't recall that!" b.s. ! Always good to Protect yourself & your wallet, not to mention your sanity ! Just keeps everyone "honest" ! Kinda like locking your Rig; just keeps the honest folks honest, the thieves will find a way to "screw you" ! Don't forget those insidious "Fees" & "oops we had to add this, because - crap" !
They're not all like that, I hope, but my experiences over my lifetime have not been without "issues" that needed resolving.
Never . . . NEVER sign on the dotted line without FIRST going over and test driving YOUR (what will be yours once you sign off on it) Expensive new Toy ! Make sure "They" understand how you feel about that - AT THE VERY BEGINNING; sales person AND sales Manager . . . and I might add perhaps even the "Financial Guy" who will lock you in his little air tight room and try to add-on expensive "things" you may or may not want ! Bring your phone and be ready to use a Calculator App - add up all the Numbers your self - be sure the IMPORTANT Ones are what was agreed on in the original paperwork - yea I've had these "issues" ! Seems when you insist on a certain price, they say they had to "Fudge the Numbers" to make the final agreed to price ! This may be true but it can also cause you to wind up paying more in taxes or . . . ?
Be Confident, Certain and speak up . . . ask your questions Before, Not later when it will be too late !
Scary? Didn't mean to be . . . I'm just one, to be Nit-Picky . . . to an extreme, if I feel it is warranted .
HAVE FUN OUT THERE, YEA ! Can't wait to go through this again in about 6 months when I order my new JL and maybe try to get a decent trade # on my 2016 WK2 ! ? :clap: :clap: :clap: !

Nicolas5150

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2013 Dodge Dart
Thatā€™s a good discount, do you mind sharing who you used?
I ended up using Dwayne Lanes in Everett Washington. Cheapest Iā€™ve found and not having to drive way out of Seattle to pick up is saving me some travel money as well.
Sponsored