Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Manual says 5,000 miles. I'm getting emails from dealership saying it's due at 3,000 miles. So they are not in agreement.
They aren’t connected. The dealership sends those emails out as a way to strum up business and money. Just because they are a dealer unfortunately doesn’t mean that are always the most honest or have the highest integrity.

Brett
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
There is NOTHING about oil or oil changes in the manual. There is NOTHING about oil changes in your info-tainment pages on maint. The only reference to oil is where the dipstick is...how to read it and where the oil filter cap is. They don't even tell you what type of oil or oil filter to use in any literature that jeep provides. You are expected to rely on the "oil life" within the engine monitoring system....then take it to the dealership. At least they put the type of oil it uses on the oil filler cap......probably so the Maint-Tech at the dealership can determine what oil to put in it.
Its is sad that jeep has failed to include this information. Majority of jeep owners are DIY's The manual should have had Oil type, # of quarts needed, Filter type (Mopar) and aftermarket, and recommended oil change intervals.......Hell they should have provided this for ALL the fluids in the jeep.
Just because the majority of people on this forum tend to be hands on doesn’t mean most Jeep owners are. Just ease of math but 15k wranglers per month have been sold for let’s say a year, you’re talking 180k JLs on the road. How many members are on here. They appeal to the masses and the general idea of DIY maintenance is not very common anymore

Brett

CRZYCDN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL XR Unlimited
OK now I'm worried!
I had an oil change a couple weeks back and I remember them charging me for 6L... and I didn't check or question it, but now reading all of this I'm concerned. - I will be checking when I return from a work trip in a week...
Any fears of long term damage?

OP
OP
mdelzer

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Developer, Home Automation and AV
Probably not. In a more extreme case when you have too much oil, in any engine, the oil can foam and the result is a drop in oil pressure due to a lack of being able to pump the foamed oil. If you were doing heavy off roading with climbing or if you had been towing it could be an issue, but likely a CEL would probably throw from low oil pressure. Also they are built for errors it's entirely possible that 1 full extra quart isn't enough to cause a problem.

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
SOAB. Had mine done last week at 4500. According to the sheet, They also put in 6. I checked the dip and it's way high.
It's too cold to drain a quart so I plan to head down today. I've always done my own oil changes but didn't think a dealer service dept could screw up an oil change. What is wrong with these people today.

Sponsored

JLJoy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU 3.0 Diesel
I just don't trust them anymore. Would be nice to have the free oil changes, but I have done all my life and enjoy doing so I do them myself. Did my first change at 1,500 miles and will do at 5,000 mile intervals going forward, makes it easy to keep track of.

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
The manual has it serviced when it comes up on your instrumentation panel and within 500 miles of that. I would guess somewhere around 7K.

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 door Rubicon X in Anvil
I referenced the 6 quart fill versus the appropriate 5 qt. fill in an earlier post. Seems it is very common place to have the dealership service department incorrectly filling the JL's 3.6.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/when-to-do-my-first-oil-change.13943/#post-339395
I have had two oil changes, one at 3000 at the dealer where I bought the Jeep on them at 3,000 miles. Just did my second at 6,000. Both invoices showed 6 quarts. I am going to the second dealer on Monday to have the oil level fixed. I inquired at the dealer wher I had the first oil change done and this was their reply. "The service information for your 2018 JL Jeep does indicate 5 quarts of engine oil. We check the oil level after the 5 quarts are installed, if the engine requires an additional .25 or .5 quart a 6th quart is billed."

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Fred

You know what they are spewing is pure crapola. YOU know that..

Can tell you they would not get away with talking that crapola to me.

Since the JL takes 5 quarts, they should be putting in 5 quarts and no more. The part about the "if the engine requires additional .25 or .5 quart a 6th quart is billed" makes me think the "additional" is a money grab (some day they will grab that money from you not FCA) thing and no more. I mean what else could it possibly be.... the engine requires 5 quarts and that is it. This is fact and the additional oil thing is.....

My oil change yesterday, cost me $17.02, yesterday. I used 5 qts of Pennzoil Platinum and an OEM Filter. The oil change took me 17 min. and that included the cleanup of the drain pan, etc. after the oil change.

IF, I had gone to the dealer for the oil change, I would have paid a couple of dollars for gas to get there and back. I would have sat at the dealership for an hour and ... and gotten an oil change by who knows who, who knows how much oil they used , did they cross thread the oil pan bolt or crack the oil filler cap.... did they dent the Jeep or get grease on the seat or floor mat..... did they screw something else up..... did they ....

I'll stick to doing my own oil changes.

cc
@LLRubylady

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Bumping this older thread. Honestly do not understand the level of incompetence dealers and techs have these days. Here’s my story today:

First Jeep dealer, work up early since there are no appointments on Saturdays. Arrive with 5 five ahead of me. Stood there for 15 mins, not one person greeted us. Approached a SA and politely mentioned we were out there and he said sorry we will be right with you. Fair enough. Guy behind me walks in and two minutes later walks out with SA!!! SA says to me give us a few minutes and we will get you right in. I replied, no actually you won’t I’m out. Apparently you and this guy don’t understand the concept of a line.

Drove to second dealer, super nice people got me in the bay in under 10 mins. Oil change done in about 15-20. Perfect! So I thought. Get RO and says 6 qts! ‍♂♂♂ Mention the JL takes 5 not 6 and the SA said it’s always written up that way on the RO for all Wranglers. Questioning everything at this point, go to get in my Jeep and there’s oil all over my leather seats. Trying to remain calm and understand techs get dirty, I asked for a rag to clean my seat. SA says no problem let me take a look. Meets me at the Jeep with Super Degreaser which I replied No, you’re not using that on my seats. I ended up cleaning it off myself but not completely. I checked the oil once I got home and it seems to be filled correctly but I’ll check it again once it say. I have a feeling it’s overfillled and won’t get benefit of the doubt just yet.

@JeepCares I was also told there were no TSBs for dead spot in steering and that it was normal. I also want to make sure in case these spots don’t come out all the way, there’s record of it. So that’s two dealers down out of three in my immediate area.

If anyone can suggest a good dealer in Ft Lauderdale area I’d greatly appreciate it. Joey Accardi and Massey Yardley are out for me at this point.

96B5580F-9733-4F6A-A9C8-34FB2825163D.jpeg

661BF336-CCFF-4B9E-A547-9391860F591B.jpeg

Reactions: JP1

Sponsored

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Back at the dealer, they overfilled it. Remaining calm and patient, just frustrated to say the least despite my mentioning before and after the service and was assured is was done properly.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Of course they overfilled it. Dealership service centers are absolutely awful at their jobs.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
It’s complete incompetence on multiple levels. who would do an oil change and not check the oil level when finished ? Just as incompetent our vehicle owners who never check their own oil. It should be common sense routine on any kind of gas motor maintenance whether it be a lawn mower, tree trimmer, or car. check the oil periodically like the manual states. All these oil change problems could be solved immediately if the dealer technician checked the oil or the vehicle owner checked the oil both very simple very common sense things to do after an oil change which are not happening. Very scary. And it appears the vehicle owners feel they have zero responsibility to check their own oil.
A simple , no cost, oil level check after a service from all the party’s involved and all problems stop immediately.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
If you can check your oil, you can change your oil. It’s that easy on the wrangler. Change it yourself and save yourself the hassle.
X100!
Sponsored