Sponsored

When to change to Soft Top from Hard Top?

Salt1972

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUD + 2016 JKU
New 2020 JLU owner. We ordered the dual top option. We're in TN and temps are climbing, but pollen is still a bit heavy. When do most people change from HT to ST?
Sponsored

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Typically, you’d want to do it on a sunny day of at least 70* F so the top will be flexible enough and stretch easier.

Last edited:

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Changed mine 2 weeks ago when it was 87. Agree you should do it when warm and sunny (I mean put the soft top on).

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
First warm, sunny weekend, in the spring. Changed it a few weeks ago. It's since snowed. Several times. FML.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've only had soft tops.... Had it down with the heater on a few weeks ago..( 44 degrees)
( Beautiful Northeast Ohio !!!)
You could put the hardtop up for sale (ha)
You'll love the open air feeling !
How do you keep the brine they put on streets now from turning your top white? That's why I use the hard top in the winter.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
New 2020 JLU owner. We ordered the dual top option. We're in TN and temps are climbing, but pollen is still a bit heavy. When do most people change from HT to ST?
Matt:

I usually wait until several scantily clad bikini models come knocking on my door and announce that they heard there to be this really cute guy living there who needs his top changed out and offering to do so....

..as they have much experience in taking their tops off.....;)

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
How do you keep the brine they put on streets now from turning your top white? That's why I use the hard top in the winter.
Mike: I also follow your schedule but find Formula 303 great at preventing and treating stains. A lot of forum members swear by it.

https://www.amazon.com/303-30604CSR...709&sprefix=formula+303+fabric,aps,143&sr=8-1

Equally important, there's general consensus that Armor All is the devil's spray on soft tops and should be avoided being used there: much as the product has great indications for plastic.

Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual

actually University of North Carolina has a semester called " soft or hard" starting each February

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I haven't really had an issue with staining...
I would highly recommend that you wash the top thoroughly and then after it is COMPLETELY dry...
Apply 303 fabric protectant...( Did this last fall)
Had no issues this winter... I always rinsed it off when it was above freezing when possible.
The water is still beading up pretty well..
Going to do it again in a month or so... Also use plexus on the windows ( seems to protect well)
All that's left is to enjoy it this summer!

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't really had an issue with staining...
I would highly recommend that you wash the top thoroughly and then after it is COMPLETELY dry...
Apply 303 fabric protectant...( Did this last fall)
Had no issues this winter... I always rinsed it off when it was above freezing when possible.
The water is still beading up pretty well..
Going to do it again in a month or so... Also use plexus on the windows ( seems to protect well)
All that's left is to enjoy it this summer!
Considering I can't get it off my paint until it has been washed several times (and clayed) no way will I risk it staining my soft top. I know some people swear by 303 but not worth the risk to me.

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Considering I can't get it off my paint until it has been washed several times (and clayed) no way will I risk it staining my soft top. I know some people swear by 303 but not worth the risk to me.
I did take the windows out before I sprayed the top... Did the windows separately... Used a sponge to apply around the windows
Never had an issue, any overspray washed off with no issues.... Sorry you had an issue
Sponsored