Sponsored

When the tyres are warm, what is the correct tyre pressure?

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
We all know to check tyre pressure first thing in the morning with the tyres cold. My correct pressure is 36 psi

- Check tyre pressure. Add air if nescessary
- Drive down the road, the tyres are now warm
- Air down and drive off road, the tyres are still warm
- Off roading is finished, I have to pump up my tyres before departing
- As the tyres are warm, what is the correct air pressure? It has to be less than 36 psi.
Sponsored

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If I owned a prius, I might have similar questions so I could sqeek out every possible inch of mileage out of it... but I have a jeep so I pump in every gallon it wants and then I pat it gingerly and say thank you for every mile it gives me in return. ;)

My other answer is put in what makes the ride feel the best for the terrain you're on.

WaX

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
There are so many variables to the correct answer and I don't think you can ever identify the correct pressure. This is due to some of your tires heating up at different rates due to their location. If you take a lot of curves, the outside front tire will heat up faster than the inside tire. If you do any heavy braking (without lockup), both fronts will heat up faster than rears due to transfer of weight to the front. Etc, Etc., Etc.

If you watch any racing, lets use NASCAR as an example where they only turn left on the oval, their right side tires will run hotter and wear out faster than left sides.

With that being said, when I air back up, especially right after the trail and without any cool down time, I will put in 1-2 psi less than what I normally run. It's always better to be over inflated (within reason) than under-inflated on the pavement.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Tire pressure expands when the tire goes from cold to warm. Factor in an increase of 3-6 psi per tire for the tire so if your warmed tires read 38, your cold pressure is between 32-35psi. The variance is because of the many variables @limeade mentioned.

Tires = American way of saying tire
Tyre = Stupid English way of saying tire

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Tire pressure expands when the tire goes from cold to warm. Factor in an increase of 3-6 psi per tire for the tire so if your warmed tires read 38, your cold pressure is between 32-35psi. The variance is because of the many variables @limeade mentioned.

Tires = American way of saying tire
Tyre = Stupid English way of saying tire
We spell ‘dumb arse’ differently too! Lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
Joe98

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score