Sponsored

When the dealership checks to see if youve abused your jeep…

Black96z

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE, Tesla Model S
Occupation
Machinist, Applications Engineer
I think the problem with a lot of the customer service issues is the decline of the independently owned dealerships. All the corporate dealerships are all interconnected, and share data and notes on the customers and just try to bilk all the money they can from anyone. They will try to "deny" you your warranty work, have you pay for it, and then send it on through as a warranty job to get paid twice.

When you have an independently owned dealership, they generally care more about the customer service experience.

As for the comments about wishing for Tesla Service, I can assure you, you do not want that. While I love my car, and I will wrench on it, Tesla is a complete pain to deal with. They also severely over charge for parts and labor because it is all closed source. With labor rates of $195/hr, even a quick job is typically over $1000. They also do not diagnose any issues, they will just replace whole assemblies. You could need a simple fuse replacement, but they will only replace the whole module for the parts + labor rate.
Sponsored

OP
OP
LiveToWork

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
They will try to "deny" you your warranty work, have you pay for it, and then send it on through as a warranty job to get paid twice.
greasy.

that explains one of the dodge dealerships in my city. All throughout covid, these guys have had a FULL lot. One reason only. Everyone in our city hates them with a passion.

my aunt scheduled a repair for her durango, but the warranty was up 2 weeks later. So they pushed her appointment all the way back til after she had no warranty.

they blamed my dad for everything that went wrong. He always had dodges and i remember as a kid how angry he would be every time he had to deal with them, watching him threaten them with court/etc constantly.

anyone i talk to hates that dealership for the same reasons. Explains why they still have 10 wranglers, 50 half tons, and never sell one.

so i could see them pulling something off like that.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Near me all the service departments are super busy, with service visits being scheduled two-weeks out.

*AND* Jeep's warranty reimbursement rate (specially in a high labor cost area such as mine) and time allowance for repair are such that warranty work is the least desirable for a service department to take.

If Jeep had higher allowances/rates, the dealerships would not be so averse to spending tech time on warranty claims.

As it is if the choice is chasing a complex issue that has a low warranty allowance or changing Mary's brakes which has a 300% markup on parts and labor, you can't really fault the service managers for it.

Deleted member 59098

I just took mine in for warranty work on the radio. They seem to love how it already has dings and scratches. They even buffed out a bad scuff while I was there. Even started talking about Golf Rs and R32s. Redwood City boardwalk Jeep/VW can be pretty cool sometimes for a Bay Area dealership.

Deleted member 59098

Except Tesla has by far the worst customer service experience of any vehicle manufacturer ever. You go in to buy a vehicle and they don't pay attention to you. You go to buy a used vehicle through their website, they offer you a different vehicle then condescend to you that it's not the one (either range or performance options) you want or need - and then try to refuse to refund the deposit. You go to buy a new S online before they make the shit design change they currently are - you get assurances from 5 different 'Managers' that you will get the one you ordered, and then 8 months after the original delivery date (never once getting told about the delay until you call a week after) get told that they're waiting on the redesign to finish and you will get one of those. Go to cancel and then get condescended to and deposit refused.... And they pull the same bullshit "easy" experience where there are no discounts, no negotiation, no give-a-f about anything other than profit and if you try to ask for out-the-door pricing they pull the same "it's this much after estimated savings" that their website does.

I have tesla-owning friends who have had repair claims refused for even more ridiculous reasons - one whose battery COMPLETELY FAILED (not fire, but just got a "Unable to charge - Disconnect cable and retry" error every time even at superchargers) and was denied because his in-home charger wasn't connected to wifi for them to get diagnostic information. One had their aero skirt on the bottom fall off because the clips weren't the normal clips (early model) and the dealer tried to charge them $8k saying that it was from them scraping on some of the long speed-bumps around their house - on a Model X which has PLENTY of clearance.

If manufacturers go the way of Tesla, then you will all dream of returning to the worst dealers of today...
Tesla is kind of rapidly going to shit. Way too much ego. Nice 0-60 though.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
...changing Mary's brakes which has a 300% markup on parts and labor, you can't really fault the service managers for it.
Markups.

One of the rear struts on Offspring's CR-V was leaking just a bit. It wasn't enough to cause the vehicle to fail the annual Safety inspection, but the tech suggested that it be attended to at some point in the near future. He also said (and I agreed) that both struts should be replaced at the same time. The dealer quote was ~$950.00.

I DIYd the job for $240.00, all in.

Dealers have expenses that I don't -- I understand that -- but seven C-notes was a bridge too far.

Jeep Wrangler JL When the dealership checks to see if youve abused your jeep… Strut 1

Jeep Wrangler JL When the dealership checks to see if youve abused your jeep… Strut 2

Jeep Wrangler JL When the dealership checks to see if youve abused your jeep… Strut 3

Peace be upon the name of Aerokroil, and M12 Fuel impact drivers. :)

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
Thank you. You can always tell when a non electrician does the job. The electrical is never done properly. In fact, its always against code and unsafe. Just because it works today, doesnt mean it isnt going to burn your house down tomorrow.
I’m not an electrician or licensed, just got done wiring my home I’m building. Passed inspection and the inspector said I did a better job than most electricians in our county would do. You can exclude me from the “always” statement lol. I guess since it’s my home and my family’s safety I care more than your average contractor would.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Markups.

One of the rear struts on Offspring's CR-V was leaking just a bit. It wasn't enough to cause the vehicle to fail the annual Safety inspection, but the tech suggested that it be attended to at some point in the near future. He also said (and I agreed) that both struts should be replaced at the same time. The dealer quote was ~$950.00.

Dealers have expenses that I don't -- I understand that -- but seven C-notes was a bridge too far.

Strut 1.jpg

Strut 2.jpg

Strut 3.jpg

That's a huge difference. Dealers in larger cities are charging $150+ a hour for labor though. I would estimate maybe 1.5-2 hours for labor, if that? Were the parts you used OEM Honda?

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Markups.

Jeep Wrangler JL When the dealership checks to see if youve abused your jeep… Strut 3

240 all in? You must have gotten a hell of a price on that garage and tools.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Were the parts you used OEM Honda?
Premium aftermarket. A perfect match for OEM, per the photos.

240 all in? You must have gotten a hell of a price on that garage and tools.
:LOL:
In what universe does a homeowner incorporate his house and tool costs when comparing a DIY job to a dealer's charge for the same? By that logic, I'd not be allowed to use the impact wrench for any other work.

As I acknowledged in the original post, Service Depts. have expenses that I don't, but the cost spread between their invoice and mine can still occasionally be unreasonable.
Sponsored