Sponsored

When the dealership checks to see if youve abused your jeep…

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
What exactly are they seeing? Last time i had a major repair under warranty they called and said they were checking for abuse. I was extremely anxious because i was just doing burnouts the week before. And my vehicle probably sees red line 30 times a day.

but all was good! So… what actually constitutes abusive driving? Driving in 4wd in 3rd gear with revs maxed out on the highway for 5 hours?

is there a name for this? Im curious to see what the mechanic sees during this procedure
Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

Yeah that is a bit weird. Maybe lots of bashing under for rocks and such? Pinged diffs and scratched drive shafts?

Or maybe they are just assholes?

Jeep: "The greatest off roading vheicle in the world!"

Jeep Dealer: "How dare you go off road we will be inspecting!"

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Maybe if the OP tells us what the Jeep was in for (what warranty repair?) we could provide some insight.

For example, if you come in and say your entertainment system is not working, they can check for water intrusion in the cabin/dashboard. Or if you complain of steering issues they can check for bent steering links.

I find it odd that the dealer would bring them up. If a dealer has an attitude of wanting to deny warranty work, leave and go to another dealer. You want a dealer who is on your side and wants to do the work at the warranty reimbursement rate and will fight with Jeep on your behalf. Not some nitwit that wants to deny warranty work.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Dealers are ASSHOLES.

A few years ago I had a JKUR Recon with only 8,000 miles; it had a squeaky driver seat and a clunky A-pillar that drove me nuts. The Jeep had a Mopar lift and 35-inch KO2s. Twice I try to have the dealer address these issues; each time the service advisor brings out the service manager. Completely covered in grease, he gives the seat a good yank and mumbles “that’s how it is supposed to be”; turns around and leaves.

One day I decide to press harder so I set up another appointment.

I drive the Jeep into the service bay. The service advisor, the service manager in the same greasy outfit, and one of the techs stand around the Jeep and start questioning everything. “That lift is not factory” says one of them. “Those bumpers are not original” says another. Like an idiot I stand there defending the fact that the lift is “Mopar” and the steel bumpers are factory on the Recon Edition. The tech then bends down to double check and mumbles “it says Mopar...” At that point the manager starts firing “You didn’t buy this here, did you.” “I didn’t” I reply. “Bought it in California; moved here 10 months ago.” So he then latches on to that: “Oh, you are not from here. You didn’t grow up here...”. I realize they are looking for any excuse to avoid having to do warranty work, but the whole thing is quite insulting.

After 15 minutes of this nonsense I have enough. “Give me the keys!” I tell the spineless advisor who is just standing there. I grab the keys, climb into the Jeep and start the engine. The manager comes over to my window and tries to calm me down “Well, perhaps we can take a look...” “Open the gate!” I yell. They open the gate; I drive off.

I dump that Jeep at a Toyota dealer across the street, in trade for a Tacoma TRD Off-Road.

I leave scathing reviews on Yelp and on Google. I then get a call from the General Manager. Apparently he is oblivious to the whole thing. I explain to him my experience; he sounds surprised. I let the reviews stand.

When the time comes to buy a JL, I do not set foot at that dealership. Find this one at a good price sitting 1,000 miles away. I happily fly out and drive it home.

Two years later I go back to this dealer lured by a Mopar lift special. Find out the service manager has been fired; apparently customers —and staff— had enough.

Whenever I come across anyone looking to buy a Jeep, to this day I tell people to stay away from this dealer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Too bad manufacturers cant have their own dealerships like Tesla.
The sooner, the better. The dealership closest to me is absolutely terrible. Most recently, the service manager told me one thing, turns around and tells FCA something else. Wasted a month of my time - for warranty service, I now drive twenty miles out of my way to use another dealership.

Bought my latest Jeep through emails with a dealership out of state. Haven’t looked back since.

Funny you guys mention Tacomas. If it wasn’t for my damn height (6’5”) and the god awful seating position, I would have sworn off Jeep by now.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Jeep: "The greatest off roading vheicle in the world!"

Jeep Dealer: "How dare you go off road we will be inspecting!"
I updated my insurance policy to admit that I have mods, to try to get in front of any problems I might have if they discover this fact the hard way. The questions were ridiculous.

"Why do you have a winch? Is it for off-roading in any way? Off-roading is completely unacceptable."

"I have the winch to look cool, and only ever use it to pull my lawn mower out of the ditch. I have a deep ditch, and I'm always getting the mower stuck."

"Why do you have a lift? Is it for off-roading in any way? Off-roading is completely unacceptable."

"How do you define 'off-roading' anyway?"

"Do you ever drive on a beach? [Tap tap tap] You live in the mountains. Do you drive on ATV trails?"

"Every place I take the Jeep is a numbered and sometimes named public road that is officially open to highway vehicles, and appears on Google Maps. Some of them are too rough for a Toyota Prius, but they're all roads. I never go off-road."

"Looks like we're good to go then. Just make sure you never go off-roading in that Jeep."

"Why would anyone go off-roading in a Jeep? Perish the thought!"

Talk about riding a line with a fine razor edge. Technically, I never do go off-roading, but your mother's 1971 Cadillac El Dorado would not fare well on what are technically roads. This is why I prefer to talk about on-pavement vs. off-pavement. If I'm flexed out in a deep wash-out at a 25° angle on a dirt road, that's pretty much what I consider off-roading, but tecccchhhhhhnically.......

OP
OP
LiveToWork

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Maybe if the OP tells us what the Jeep was in for (what warranty repair?) we could provide some insight.

For example, if you come in and say your entertainment system is not working, they can check for water intrusion in the cabin/dashboard. Or if you complain of steering issues they can check for bent steering links.

I find it odd that the dealer would bring them up. If a dealer has an attitude of wanting to deny warranty work, leave and go to another dealer. You want a dealer who is on your side and wants to do the work at the warranty reimbursement rate and will fight with Jeep on your behalf. Not some nitwit that wants to deny warranty work.
I had to get a whole new rear end replaced. Gears were already clunking at 12k kms. When diagnosing me they kept calling saying

“we are going to check this and that. If it is not under warranty it will be a 400 dollar fee. Do you wish to proceed?”

I was working out of town so i couldnt go to my local dealership. The whole thing was a bad experience.

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I updated my insurance policy to admit that I have mods, to try to get in front of any problems I might have if they discover this fact the hard way. The questions were ridiculous.

"Why do you have a winch? Is it for off-roading in any way? Off-roading is completely unacceptable."

"I have the winch to look cool, and only ever use it to pull my lawn mower out of the ditch. I have a deep ditch, and I'm always getting the mower stuck."

"Why do you have a lift? Is it for off-roading in any way? Off-roading is completely unacceptable."

"How do you define 'off-roading' anyway?"

"Do you ever drive on a beach? [Tap tap tap] You live in the mountains. Do you drive on ATV trails?"

"Every place I take the Jeep is a numbered and sometimes named public road that is officially open to highway vehicles, and appears on Google Maps. Some of them are too rough for a Toyota Prius, but they're all roads. I never go off-road."

"Looks like we're good to go then. Just make sure you never go off-roading in that Jeep."

"Why would anyone go off-roading in a Jeep? Perish the thought!"

Talk about riding a line with a fine razor edge. Technically, I never do go off-roading, but your mother's 1971 Cadillac El Dorado would not fare well on what are technically roads. This is why I prefer to talk about on-pavement vs. off-pavement. If I'm flexed out in a deep wash-out at a 25° angle on a dirt road, that's pretty much what I consider off-roading, but tecccchhhhhhnically.......
Almost all of the Jeep roads here are actually county roads. Cars that try them get towed off damaged... You are not not technically "off road" however. They may be some of the roughest most rock strewn "roads" in the country but they are county roads...LOL

Last edited:

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
What exactly are they seeing? Last time i had a major repair under warranty they called and said they were checking for abuse. I was extremely anxious because i was just doing burnouts the week before. And my vehicle probably sees red line 30 times a day.

but all was good! So… what actually constitutes abusive driving? Driving in 4wd in 3rd gear with revs maxed out on the highway for 5 hours?

is there a name for this? Im curious to see what the mechanic sees during this procedure
From your description I think you consitutte abusive driving.

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

Too bad manufacturers cant have their own dealerships like Tesla.
Except Tesla has by far the worst customer service experience of any vehicle manufacturer ever. You go in to buy a vehicle and they don't pay attention to you. You go to buy a used vehicle through their website, they offer you a different vehicle then condescend to you that it's not the one (either range or performance options) you want or need - and then try to refuse to refund the deposit. You go to buy a new S online before they make the shit design change they currently are - you get assurances from 5 different 'Managers' that you will get the one you ordered, and then 8 months after the original delivery date (never once getting told about the delay until you call a week after) get told that they're waiting on the redesign to finish and you will get one of those. Go to cancel and then get condescended to and deposit refused.... And they pull the same bullshit "easy" experience where there are no discounts, no negotiation, no give-a-f about anything other than profit and if you try to ask for out-the-door pricing they pull the same "it's this much after estimated savings" that their website does.

I have tesla-owning friends who have had repair claims refused for even more ridiculous reasons - one whose battery COMPLETELY FAILED (not fire, but just got a "Unable to charge - Disconnect cable and retry" error every time even at superchargers) and was denied because his in-home charger wasn't connected to wifi for them to get diagnostic information. One had their aero skirt on the bottom fall off because the clips weren't the normal clips (early model) and the dealer tried to charge them $8k saying that it was from them scraping on some of the long speed-bumps around their house - on a Model X which has PLENTY of clearance.

If manufacturers go the way of Tesla, then you will all dream of returning to the worst dealers of today...

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I had to get a whole new rear end replaced. Gears were already clunking at 12k kms. When diagnosing me they kept calling saying

“we are going to check this and that. If it is not under warranty it will be a 400 dollar fee. Do you wish to proceed?”

I was working out of town so i couldnt go to my local dealership. The whole thing was a bad experience.
Sounds like they can tell that you drive like a maniac and want to make sure that you know you’ll be paying for beating on the Jeep and not warranty. Doing donuts and redlining 30 times a day is something that just might cause problems. Good luck with your repair and with your Jeep in general.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If you have an inch of mud on the engine cover and the motor is seized is the dealer an asshole for denying the warranty?
Sponsored