Sponsored

When should you NOT disconnect your sway bar?

Edslittleworld

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubi, '21 Crosstrek, '20 Miata, BMW moto's
I was trying out my new Rubicon and came up to a washed out portion of the trail. About half the road was gone and the other half required riding up on the side of the road, while the lower half was a narrow ridge and down about 2 feet. I had my sway bar disconnected and it started to feel tippy. I've driven this same passage in a Tacoma TRD and it was not bad at all. However, I was pretty spooked on this same stretch and I wonder if I should have left the sway bar connected. Are there technical stretches where you DON'T want the sway bar disconnected?
Sponsored

Beancooker

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
General Manager
If it felt “tippy” with the sway bar disconnected, it would have felt even worse with it connected.
As far as I am concerned, if you’re shifting into 4hi or 4lo, disconnect the sway bar. If you start to go fast enough it needs to be connected, it’ll reconnect itself.
Disconnecting just gives you better articulation and allows the tires to contact the ground with more even pressure.
The only reason to connect it is to go faster, where you don’t want the vehicle swaying and having excess body roll.
You can also look at the Antirock system and never have to connect/disconnect again.

Beancooker

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
General Manager
I should have a also mentioned, I had a Tacoma before this. Trying to compare the “feeling of tippyness” between the two is impossible. The suspension is so different between these two vehicles. IFS vs Solid Axle. The Rubicon is a far more capable vehicle. It will just take some getting used to.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
The sway bar is there to resist sway, or in offroad terminology, to resist articulation. Sway is a problem during high speed cornering, allowing the body to roll. This should not be a problem offroad so going slow offroad you can disconnect the swaybars. On pavement leave them connected.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Sponsored