When People's Republic of China resumes shipping to the Land of the Free then maybe your Jeep will c

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
hopefully soon , the waiting can feel endless

Advertisement

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
How "free" are we if we have to rely on other nations to ship us essential goods (not that Jeep parts qualify exactly)? Food for thought.

Gee-pah

First Name
Andy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
How "free" are we if we have to rely on other nations to ship us essential goods (not that Jeep parts qualify exactly)? Food for thought.
It's an entirely valid point Sean. I wish to take nothing away from it. But please allow some counterpoint:

How "free" are we if we have to pay $75 for a tube of touch up paint produced domestically, whose costs factors in the higher cost of labor in the States.

Not for a second do I like that many Americans fail to enjoy a basic standard of living these days, and I'm glad to put my money where my mouth is and pay more for some things produced domestically, including the security it provides that you cite, but freedom to buy includes not only ample supply, but ample supply at affordable price.

It's a tough line to straddle I think.

Peace.

fat_head

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
It's an entirely valid point Sean. I wish to take nothing away from it. But please allow some counterpoint:

How "free" are we if we have to pay $75 for a tube of touch up paint produced domestically, whose costs factors in the higher cost of labor in the States.

Not for a second do I like that many Americans fail to enjoy a basic standard of living these days, and I'm glad to put my money where my mouth is and pay more for some things produced domestically, including the security it provides that you cite, but freedom to buy includes not only ample supply, but ample supply at affordable price.

Peace.
You’re free not to buy it if you don’t want it. Sounds like freedom to me.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I try to buy American made when I can. All companies on the internet should be required BY LAW to list country of manufacture - “made in” - in the product listing so we can all see that.

anyway, hate to say it but...... if even half the stuff that is made off-shore was instead made here, we would not have the workforce to do it. We don’t have the bodies. And, a number of the bodies we do have would feel that a factory job was “Below them”...... yep, I was just told that by a long-term unemployed college grad....... and then there are the addicts and other grifters..... they wouldn’t take the job either.....

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid

Peace.

I don't disagree with that in the slightest.

However, if we had a truly free market AND adopted tax policy like the FairTax.org, we'd likely have both....according to hundreds of world leading economists (including 2 Nobel Laureates in Econ).

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I try to buy American made when I can. All companies on the internet should be required BY LAW to list country of manufacture - “made in” - in the product listing so we can all see that.

anyway, hate to say it but...... if even half the stuff that is made off-shore was instead made here, we would not have the workforce to do it. We don’t have the bodies. And, a number of the bodies we do have would feel that a factory job was “Below them”...... yep, I was just told that by a long-term unemployed college grad....... and then there are the addicts and other grifters..... they wouldn’t take the job either.....
True to an extent....but that's largely b/c educators and society in general have pushed the false narrative that one must go to "college" to earn a decent wage.

In truth, trade/vocational schools is one area the US lags behind Europe drastically....as well as the social stigma of "blue collar" work.

As for the comment that people wouldn't take X job....maybe not at the current rate, but if you cut out cheap, undocumented labor (by making it a mandatory felony to knowingly employ illegal immigrants) revamp H1BV programs, it is far more likely to attract citizens who will work for the unsuppressed wages caused by the influx of illegal labor.

richardya

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011

Peace.
Someone would start a company and produce it cheaper if free trade was fair. We have politicians in our country who artificially inflate wages and create expensive regulations to protect the American worker, but those policies basically force companies to move production overseas and put that worker out of work.

If another country can make something better or cheaper or smarter good for them, let’s buy from them. But all they have that we don’t is a lack of idiotic laws.

Gee-pah

First Name
Andy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
You’re free not to buy it if you don’t want it. Sounds like freedom to me.
The problem is what if you "do want it"...far worse...what if you really need it, like medicine and food.

Take some Wrangler accessories. There are a subset for all of us that simple don't "float our boat" as sure as we could afford them if they did: that's the freedom you describe and I respect/agree with.

And even that gear beyond our reach are likely things we could live without.

But for seniors who already have to prioritize which of their medicines they take, eating cat food to keep costs down, who'd face greater prices with more domestic production, I think you can agree that their choices are far, far more restricted and hard.

Peace.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The problem is what if you "do want it"...far worse...what if you really need it, like medicine and food.

Take some Wrangler accessories. There are a subset for all of us that simple don't "float our boat" as sure as we could afford them if they did: that's the freedom you describe and I respect/agree with.

And even that gear beyond our reach are likely things we could live without.

But for seniors who already have to prioritize which of their medicines they take, eating cat food to keep costs down, who'd face greater prices with more domestic production, I think you can agree that their choices are far, far more restricted and hard.

Peace.

The pricing of pharmaceutical is a DIRECT result of our current and past executive branch failing to use EXISTING anti-trust law (Sherman-Clayton and Robinson-Patman in particular) to protect the consumer and enforce consumer protection laws that disallow disparate pricing (not to mention carving out special "exemptions" to keep competition out of the medical industry).

Gee-pah

First Name
Andy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@richardya Richard and @Sean K. Sean:

I truly believe and agree with you that your ideas would help bring costs down for the consumer and returns certain business back to the States. Still more, you're right, politicians, most of whom are forever running for office from as earlier as the day they are elected. often make decisions that favor their own survival rather than what truly is best, as they cater to the workers who votes for them, and the special interests who fund the campaigns that target the worker who votes for them.

But with this said, all ideas, mine, yours, and the status quo all come with costs. If you and I were those laborers we'd want policies that provide us with a standard of living that's greater than that of most nations which currently produce many of the goods we buy, as sure as the incentives for pharmaceutical companies, geared to make their executives rich, are also part of the protections that incentivize them (and the insurance industry) to produce the next new drug to fight that which ails us.

By no means am I, unlike you as well, taking the sides of politicians or rich executives. All I'm saying is that to reduce some of the protections that inflate cost might also erode the worker's standard of living, and our access to drugs that turn diseases that might have killed us in the past, into chronic conditions today.

I believe there are no easy answers and hard choices. I suspect you guys truly get that, and have done so all along.

Peace fellow Jeepers.

Cthehentz

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Jl Rubicon Unlimited, 2011 LR4, 07'LR3, 08 RR.
Occupation
Retired
No telling when balance will be restored and we return to a normal way of life, there is a huge difference between a $4 ratchet and a $100 ratchet just depends where your priorities are.

Z J West

First Name
Ron
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR, '95 lifted ZJ, '14 Challenger R/T, '97 Tahoe, '90 C1500
The pricing of pharmaceutical is a DIRECT result of our current and past executive branch failing to use EXISTING anti-trust law (Sherman-Clayton and Robinson-Patman in particular) to protect the consumer and enforce consumer protection laws that disallow disparate pricing (not to mention carving out special "exemptions" to keep competition out of the medical industry).
Lobbyist are the root of the problem. How do we fix it?

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lobbyist are the root of the problem. How do we fix it?
Agree...to an extent.

The real problem is that government picks winners and losers in the market place. If we had a free market with government engaged in its appropriate role, then it does no good for a corporation to lobby government for preferential treatment and that money is put into making the best product at the best value to the consumer and competition is based on merit.