Sponsored

When ordering a 392, why so many XRs?

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I think it’s just that it sounds cooler, but truly the only thing worth anything is 4.56 gearing. And 98% of people don’t need that low gearing in the 392. The 1/2“ of rim doesn’t give you enough width for 37s, which matches well with 4.56 and a 392. So you’re gonna buy new rims and tires to go 37” anyway

Downgraded shocks from the standard 392 on the XR.

everything else you already get on a regular 392. So $4k, I don’t get it.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Not only can you easily mount a 37 on an 8” wheel, but they are 8.5” wide when mounted as a true beadlock. Some want the 35’s from the factory because they are paranoid about warranty issues. The 4.56 gears are obviously the biggest value of the package, especially if 37’s are in your future plans. The hinge gate re-enforcement and relocation bracket also mean a 37” spare will fit. If you are happy with the 33’s and will never go bigger, the choice is obvious. If 35”+ is the plan, I’d spend the $4k up front.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Majority who buy Rubicons/392/XR buy it for status...badass mall crawler minority take them offroad.

In reality XR is just as much of a waist of money as 392, as none of that is neded for offroading - people just want nice toys these days with all options as it makes them feel better.

OP
OP
stumblinhorse

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Not only can you easily mount a 37 on an 8” wheel, but they are 8.5” wide when mounted as a true beadlock. Some want the 35’s from the factory because they are paranoid about warranty issues. The 4.56 gears are obviously the biggest value of the package, especially if 37’s are in your future plans. The hinge gate re-enforcement and relocation bracket also mean a 37” spare will fit. If you are happy with the 33’s and will never go bigger, the choice is obvious. If 35”+ is the plan, I’d spend the $4k up front.
Over here too….

Please link me to a 37 that specs a 8” rim. They are all 8.5“ as the min.

Sponsored

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
First I have heard the shocks are downgraded...please elaborate.
There are those that are of the opinion that because the xr shocks are mopar branded rather than fox, they're inferior, despite info from jeep saying they're a better, more advanced shock that just happens to be mopar branded (as if mopar makes their own shocks and don't just slap their name on others)

OP
OP
stumblinhorse

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
First I have heard the shocks are downgraded...please elaborate.
XR shocks are mopar painted steel that come in the mopar lift.

standard 392 shocks are fox 2.0 with stainless bodies.

downgrade?

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
XR shocks are mopar painted steel that come in the mopar lift
Scott Blum, a product manager at Jeep that's active in the 392 Facebook group and addresses things like that on occasion disagrees

392shocks.png

OP
OP
stumblinhorse

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Jeepeto is already running a 37 on the mopar wheels. Beadlock ring or not the 37 will mount fine to the 17x8.
Will mount yes, not spec’d for them tho. I am not someone that blindly follows specs from a manu, but why put them on something so narrow? As an example aev rims are 8.5 or 10 wide. 8.5 for 35s and 10 for 37s or larger on hd trucks. 37s are mostly e load with 10 plys, why force them on a 8”?

Sponsored

OP
OP
stumblinhorse

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Scott Blum, a product manager at Jeep that's active in the 392 Facebook group and addresses things like that on occasion disagrees

Jeep Wrangler JL When ordering a 392, why so many XRs? 392shocks
That is the same guy that said a few hours ago on FB that damaged inner front fenders are not normal. Mine were destroyed on the way to my house from the dealer…. I have been molding my own replacement pieces for an 80k Jeep…. I don’t believe everything I read on the interwebs. But I am glad they “say” they are better.

path0s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Will mount yes, not spec’d for them tho. I am not someone that blindly follows specs from a manu, but why put them on something so narrow? As an example aev rims are 8.5 or 10 wide. 8.5 for 35s and 10 for 37s or larger on hd trucks. 37s are mostly e load with 10 plys, why force them on a 8”?
I mean, if you're looking at it in thay sense, why a E load under something as light(comparison to a 3/4 ton truck)as a jeep? I think mounting a 35/37x12.5 is alot safer than the stretching I used to do on tires.

I think a 17x8 is bit safer than the stock rubi wheels at 7.5, and people were also running 37s on those.

It's definitely to each their own, but do I think its completely unsafe for a 37 or 35 on a 8"? No.

cgrosen324

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Majority who buy Rubicons/392/XR buy it for status...badass mall crawler minority take them offroad.

In reality XR is just as much of a waist of money as 392, as none of that is neded for offroading - people just want nice toys these days with all options as it makes them feel better.
Of course you’re entitled to your opinion but why dog anyone for what they spend their money on? I for one can’t wait for my 392XR to be delivered. Is it a toy? Sure. Is it frivolous? Probably. I’m not buying it to “make me feel better” though. I’m buying it because I’m pushing 50, I work my ass off and I think it’ll be cool.

Last edited:

path0s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Also, the mopar wheel is a 5" backspace, not 4.4".

Measured it the other day. The mounting spec of the wheel is 17x8. Backspace you have to take into account the outer lip roll.

path0s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Of course you’re entitled to your opinion but why dog anyone for what they spend their money on? I for one can’t wait for my 392XR to be delivered. Is it a toy? Sure. Is it frivolous? Probably. I’m not buying to “make me feel better” though. I’m buying it because I’m pushing 50, I work my ass off and I think it’ll be cool.
Can't stress this enough. I wish others didn't worry about one another so much. Buy what makes you happy. Everyone's situation is different.
Sponsored