When is the JL Facelift coming?

OP
OP

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I put 58k miles in 26 months on my 2020 Grand Cherokee V6 8spd. Not seeing the hype. Is it decent/good - yes. Exceptional? - Far from it.

Part throttle downshifts are miserable in many incidences - no reaction until the go pedal is pushed down too far and engine screams. Transition from deceleration to acceleration are miserable. Transmission is still in slow-down mode while driver wants to accelerate - result is excessive down shift.

Through work Iā€™ve had the opportunity to drive 100ā€™s of different cars / trucks over the years. Always preferred manual transmissions for my personal vehicles for the mere fact of driving enjoyment. A few cars back, the guy at the MINI dealer let me drive a Counrtyman 2.0T with their 8spd auto. He promised me I would not miss shifting my own gears - he didnā€™t lie. Calibration/programming of shift points were spot on; no matter of driving style. Got into this GC, assuming experience will be similar - no such luck. Looking forward to the JL Sport 3.6 MT. Slower, less precise on-road manners and an ever so bigger grin while driving it.

Based on other comments however, I would consider test driving the 2.0T with the 8spd, should the MT become obsolete.
That is a transmission tuning problemā€¦
Sponsored

Swisskidd

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
57 Corvette, 23 JL Sport Base Earl
Occupation
Automotive Restoration
That is a transmission tuning problemā€¦
Agree! It was reset a couple times by two different dealers (no upgrades available) early on. Driving behavior for first few hundred miles was better, then the self learn process brings it back to the sluggish shift delays. My driving style is very passive for the most part and Iā€™m assuming it has a negative impact on the learn process.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Would expect a mid-cycle refresh soon, probably nothing major, then a new model sometime between 2028 -2032.
I agree.

Enormous work and risk goes into changing the vehicle's visual appearance, particularly on the outside.

No matter how many focus groups and reiterations and amounts of money are spent, designers always battle not only people's inherent aversion to change, but even the best of changes will have its (vocal) critics who will cry that the appearance of the vehicle has taken a "steady downturn since its introduction in World War II."

Stellantis has to be very careful to not redesign the Wrangler's appearance from the ground up, but only make tweaks in appearance, paying homage to its legacy, no differently than a good cosmetic (not reconstructive) plastic surgeon makes only improvements to an existing "canvas," not a completely new face. Stellantis' designers would be very smart to learn and heed the marketing lessons of New Coke--which is actually similar to those Stellantis faces, in a very loyal following to existing and legacy product, despite what focus groups might say.

We can continue to expect Stellantis to "pull up their skirt" a bit in the release of concept vehicles for trade shows and other well known Jeep events, in an effort to whet people's appetite and gauge interest in a design direction, as sure as we can expect that they are heavily researching the use of no less strong, but lighter building materials to squeeze range out of their electric lineup.

We can only hope that with the eventual saturation in the market of electric refueling stations, and faster refueling times, that the search for lighter materials will peak for most auto makers, but the Wrangler still has to consider range for the difficulty of off road refueling.

Rhino Rack--now is the time for you start investigating the ability to repurpose your bat wing products as off road solar panel chargers and put the patents in place. You're welcome. ;)

OP
OP

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I agree.

Enormous work and risk goes into changing the vehicle's visual appearance, particularly on the outside.

No matter how many focus groups and reiterations and amounts of money are spent, designers always battle not only people's inherent aversion to change, but even the best of changes will have its (vocal) critics who will cry that the appearance of the vehicle has taken a "steady downturn since its introduction in World War II."

Stellantis has to be very careful to not redesign the Wrangler's appearance from the ground up, but only make tweaks in appearance, paying homage to its legacy, no differently than a good cosmetic (not reconstructive) plastic surgeon makes only improvements to an existing "canvas," not a completely new face. Stellantis' designers would be very smart to learn and heed the marketing lessons of New Coke--which is actually similar to those Stellantis faces, in a very loyal following to existing and legacy product, despite what focus groups might say.

We can continue to expect Stellantis to "pull up their skirt" a bit in the release of concept vehicles for trade shows and other well known Jeep events, in an effort to whet people's appetite and gauge interest in a design direction, as sure as we can expect that they are heavily researching the use of no less strong, but lighter building materials to squeeze range out of their electric lineup.

We can only hope that with the eventual saturation in the market of electric refueling stations, and faster refueling times, that the search for lighter materials will peak for most auto makers, but the Wrangler still has to consider range for the difficulty of off road refueling.

Rhino Rack--now is the time for you start investigating the ability to repurpose your bat wing products as off road solar panel chargers and put the patents in place. You're welcome. ;)
Yes, thats what I meant... to me a facelift is a slightly redesigned grille, headlights and taillights and updated infotainment, a major one would be new engines, perhaps get rid of the 392 (dont shoot me) the Diesel and the V6 and add the hurricane. So only 4 and 6 cylinder turbo options available a la Bronco.

Most people like big screens no question about it and when you get in the Bronco the screen really captures you, Jeep with the changes above could rule above the Bronco because it will have the tech, interior quality and power. A few weeks ago I drove a Bronco, frankly it felt waaaaay too cheap for me and decided to pass on it.

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
I put 58k miles in 26 months on my 2020 Grand Cherokee V6 8spd. Not seeing the hype. Is it decent/good - yes. Exceptional? - Far from it.

Part throttle downshifts are miserable in many incidences - no reaction until the go pedal is pushed down too far and engine screams. Transition from deceleration to acceleration are miserable. Transmission is still in slow-down mode while driver wants to accelerate - result is excessive down shift.

Through work Iā€™ve had the opportunity to drive 100ā€™s of different cars / trucks over the years. Always preferred manual transmissions for my personal vehicles for the mere fact of driving enjoyment. A few cars back, the guy at the MINI dealer let me drive a Counrtyman 2.0T with their 8spd auto. He promised me I would not miss shifting my own gears - he didnā€™t lie. Calibration/programming of shift points were spot on; no matter of driving style. Got into this GC, assuming experience will be similar - no such luck. Looking forward to the JL Sport 3.6 MT. Slower, less precise on-road manners and an ever so bigger grin while driving it.

Based on other comments however, I would consider test driving the 2.0T with the 8spd, should the MT become obsolete.
That's a bummer. Nothing worse than a tranny that won't do what you want it to. It, with a 2.0T, makes the 2 door feel like a rocket. If you time a quick lift right, it'll short shift into 2nd right as the turbo kicks, chirp the tires and press you nicely into the seat...and hold that acceleration through the gears up to about 70...in right around 7 seconds.

Sponsored

Viking Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR. 2021 392 Wrangler.
9706tj.jpg

This is not an interior "refresh" or a "facelift" like the JK received. Updated parts as time went on? Sure. Complete redesign because Sergio Marchionne scoffed at how laughably bad it was? Absolutely not.
Thats a refresh. Nothing was mentioned about the significance of the refresh. Thanks for the photos.

Swisskidd

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
57 Corvette, 23 JL Sport Base Earl
Occupation
Automotive Restoration
Yes, thats what I meant... to me a facelift is a slightly redesigned grille, headlights and taillights and updated infotainment, a major one would be new engines, perhaps get rid of the 392 (dont shoot me) the Diesel and the V6 and add the hurricane. So only 4 and 6 cylinder turbo options available a la Bronco.

Most people like big screens no question about it and when you get in the Bronco the screen really captures you, Jeep with the changes above could rule above the Bronco because it will have the tech, interior quality and power. A few weeks ago I drove a Bronco, frankly it felt waaaaay too cheap for me and decided to pass on it.
The screens / instrument cluster in the Bronco was an instant turn off for me. I do really like the appearance of the basic 2-door version (I know Iā€™m in the minority, preferring the low trim level). Spending a lot of time in a vehicle, the instrument panel plays a big role. It is what will be staring me in the face while driving.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Now that Iā€™m not having constant ESS and transfer case problems, I'm pretty happy.

A couple of wants:
1. Ditch usb A. While you're at it, power all the ports with PD and throw a hub somewhere under the dash so it's easier to add stuff.
2. NVM. I'd like to have conversations above 60mph.
3. All models get steel knuckles.
4. Rubicon fender/bumpergap close outs. Make them removable for the people that will lose their minds.
5. A nonturbo hurricane. I know this won't happen, but it'd be nice and the only thing that might tempt me to upgrade.
6. OLED rear view mirror

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Back in the Old Days, before Cell Service, the YJ , in order to compete with the Suzuki Samurai, offered a real Entry Level Wrangler. Rear Seat Delete, no carpet, no AC, no power steering, soft top, half doors. 4 cyl, 5 spd. I know, because I bought one. I think it was just under $9, 000, A Samurai was $8700, with carpet, rear seat. I bought one in 1987, loved it. The YJ, 1989 , never should have sold either.
The point being, an absolute Base model that can actually be afforded by first time new vehicle buyers, is a must.
If it sells at a loss, that slight dip will be more than offset by enthusiast sales, accessory sales, Generational Sales.
Entire Jeep Families,from Base 2 doors to loaded up Grand Cherokees.. Cut out the young, first time buyers, and that whole sucession collapses.
How many people would actually live in a Log Cabin in the Woods ( outside of this Forum) , yet it is the iconic symbol of a simple, ideal life.
So is the Wrangler, it is as firmly rooted in our backbrains as any Icon ever was.
Yepā€” After WW2 discharge my father & uncle were struggling with a start up garage business. After a few years business improved to where he could afford his 3A, my grandchildren are the recipients, so far, ā€¦ā€¦..So It Continues! šŸ˜Š

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

šŸ”«ā€” BANGā€” Damn, must be out of range. šŸ˜‰

BrentMG

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
My Tacoma had the safety crap and would freak out every time it saw a shadow. I HATED that thing, there's nothing like thinking you're about to plow into something that isn't there lol. Not Something id care for in a jeep.
When I purchased my Explorer Sport back in 15, I didn't know about all of the safety stuff. Needless to say, I found out about all of it when I was taking a turn possibly a little too fast when the sensors picked up a mailbox that it felt was a little too close. That beeping scared and confused the hell out of me. Up until that point I thought it was just the sensors which let me know if someone was in my blind spot.

Jeepnā€™

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
When I purchased my Explorer Sport back in 15, I didn't know about all of the safety stuff. Needless to say, I found out about all of it when I was taking a turn possibly a little too fast when the sensors picked up a mailbox that it felt was a little too close. That beeping scared and confused the hell out of me. Up until that point I thought it was just the sensors which let me know if someone was in my blind spot.
I honestly thought the loud beeping was dangerous. First time it happened was at night and I was scared out of my mind. I even slowed down on the freeway thinking I was going to hit something. It was just so unexpected lol.

BrentMG

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
I honestly thought the loud beeping was dangerous. First time it happened was at night and I was scared out of my mind. I even slowed down on the freeway thinking I was going to hit something. It was just so unexpected lol.
Agreed. I didn't know what was going on the first time. It took a few times around that curve to figure out it was my driving style setting it off. And to honest, I wasn't really even close to the mailbox. If you weren't expecting it, it is definitely probably unsafe.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now they donā€™t just beep, they sometimes unexpectedly Slam On The Brakes. My GC does when going by an occupied turn lane if the road is curving, almost rear ended once. Take the long way home now when driving it to avoid such a spot. šŸ˜–
Sponsored