When is the JL Facelift coming?

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR (soon), Gen 2 Cummins, 22 Sport Alt. R.I.P
Definitely agree it looks new/classic at the same time. Hoping the next generation offers the Hurricane motor and takes some of the 'good' of the Bronco.

What does the Bronco have I like:

USB/power on the dash for whatever ya have up there
Larger screen
Modern motor options
10spd transmission
I haven't been a fan of the 10 speed in other rigs I've driven, too much gear searching IMO. Take that with a grain of salt though, I still drive manuals, haha. The Hurricane is coming!
Sponsored

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's the biggest issue. People want to make the LED lights or many of the other options standard but they balk at the idea that this may increase the price of the lower levels. The simple fact is if you increase the standards of the base, the price of the base will increase accordingly.

As for everyone dissatisfied that this edition is not being refreshed meaningfully or that it is "long in the tooth", imagine being a fan of the 4Runner. That thing desperately needs a refresh.
I helped my son install $35 LED bulbs in his Jeep Patriot last night, they worked perfectly. It can't be that difficult.

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep the exterior styling as is, but just add paddle shifters to the above list and that would be enough of a refresh for me to order a new 2024 to replace my 17k mile 2019...
I just rented a Chrysler 300 with paddle shifters, if I ever quit driving manuals I will need me a set of those.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Back in the Old Days, before Cell Service, the YJ , in order to compete with the Suzuki Samurai, offered a real Entry Level Wrangler. Rear Seat Delete, no carpet, no AC, no power steering, soft top, half doors. 4 cyl, 5 spd. I know, because I bought one. I think it was just under $9, 000, A Samurai was $8700, with carpet, rear seat. I bought one in 1987, loved it. The YJ, 1989 , never should have sold either.
The point being, an absolute Base model that can actually be afforded by first time new vehicle buyers, is a must.
If it sells at a loss, that slight dip will be more than offset by enthusiast sales, accessory sales, Generational Sales.
Entire Jeep Families,from Base 2 doors to loaded up Grand Cherokees.. Cut out the young, first time buyers, and that whole sucession collapses.
How many people would actually live in a Log Cabin in the Woods ( outside of this Forum) , yet it is the iconic symbol of a simple, ideal life.
So is the Wrangler, it is as firmly rooted in our backbrains as any Icon ever was.

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I'd prefer they keep it for a few more years. It helps to make repair parts cheaper for all of us when they wait longer to change it up. Unless they're going to make major improvements in the engine, drivetrain, etc, I'd rather they just leave the aesthetics basically the same.

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Agree, but they can't make 4Runners fast enough and are selling like crazy. It certainly needs refreshed, but why fix it if it isn't broke from a business standpoint? I know I'm biased, but if Hurricane isn't going to get much better mileage than 392, why not keep 392? It's bad ass and I think them getting rid of Hemis (on everything) is a huge mistake.
I see your point but at some time, the age of the platform without any serious refreshes will hurt it and already do to a small extent. The transmission needs some desperate attention (extremely sluggish compared to my JL) for one. Yes, a plug in can help but an upgraded transmission would be better.

As for the hurricane, I'd choose it easily for a couple of reasons. Better performance and lighter weight would trump being able to say "I have a Hemi" for me any day.

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I helped my son install $35 LED bulbs in his Jeep Patriot last night, they worked perfectly. It can't be that difficult.
There are worlds of difference between adding $35 led bulbs into reflectors that they may or may not work well in and quality LED headlights, like what come on the Wrangler. The two aren't really even comparable.

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Likewise, a lot of other people on this thread should have bought an old TJ.
I compared the choices of upgrading my TJ and buying a JL and, if it were just me, I would have built and beat the shit out of my TJ. But, especially with my wife and her back problems to consider, it made more sense to trade to a JL where I would have to do minimal work to get it to the point I wanted it to be at and probably still have a better ride for my wife on trips we may take with it. Plus all of the little things that make it a bit better for her, such as the door sill not being 3" higher. But there are many days that I still miss my TJ.

Long story short, though, and to get back on topic, may people still want all of this stuff standard but will then complain when the price of a base Jeep runs into the high $40k range. Jeep will never please anyone but I hope that they never go the route to try to entirely please the cookie-cutter, luxury SUV crowd that wants the look of a rugged off-road based vehicle but still expects to be pampered like they have a Mercedes. There's enough of that crap on the road now. Keep Jeep rugged and simple. Personally, I think that the Rubicon should have still been more basic with options available for those who want it.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I'd like to see the following items where Bronco leads over Jeep:

1. Body mounted mirrors
  2. Frame-less doors, so one could essentially have half-doors (without having to buy them). With a frame-less door, you can put all 4 doors of a bronco into it's rear storage \ trunk area.
  3. Rear side hardtop windows should come out for all versions of the hardtop (like the Sky one-touch top does)
I agree with most of this, except I'd like the mirrors to come off with the doors, since as someone posted above, they get damaged on narrow trails. Also, having two side mirrors isn't a requirement anywhere I've lived, so I don't see the point of always having them in the way.

I'd also go along with the frameless doors, as long as there is a window frame. There are so many complaints about the Bronco glass "catching" when opening or closing the doors, and a rattle while driving because there is no frame, that I'd want to make sure my frameless doors had window frames. Also, taking them off and putting them in the back is dumb, since most people won't remove all of their other gear to make room, and they don't work that way with a 2-door, and off road they are going to bang around in the soft bags. That's a gimmick.

I'll also agree with number three, since I run a soft top.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
TJ did get an interior refresh in 03. Dash switch panel is different and interior A pillar trim was added, among other things like seats.
Jeep Wrangler JL When is the JL Facelift coming? 9706t

This is not an interior "refresh" or a "facelift" like the JK received. Updated parts as time went on? Sure. Complete redesign because Sergio Marchionne scoffed at how laughably bad it was? Absolutely not.

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are worlds of difference between adding $35 led bulbs into reflectors that they may or may not work well in and quality LED headlights, like what come on the Wrangler. The two aren't really even comparable.
Oh I agree, there are some awful LED's on the road but it still shouldn't be that difficult especially when sooo many people are wanting them. It would help keep the some of the blindingly bright stuff off the road too.

I was impressed with the ones we installed in his Patriot though. The housing still gave them a good solid cut off and we barely had to do any adjusting.

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
8 speed FTW! Finest transmission on the planet.
Big 10-4 on that! Paired with the 2.0T, it's a frigging brilliant tranny - haven't driven the v6 with it, so I can't opine on that pairing. The shifts are silky smooth and timed perfectly with the turbo's powerband.
There's plenty of small refinements that'd make the JL shine a bit more, but that ZF8 is a gem.

Swisskidd

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
57 Corvette, 23 JL Sport Base Earl
Occupation
Automotive Restoration
Big 10-4 on that! Paired with the 2.0T, it's a frigging brilliant tranny - haven't driven the v6 with it, so I can't opine on that pairing. The shifts are silky smooth and timed perfectly with the turbo's powerband.
There's plenty of small refinements that'd make the JL shine a bit more, but that ZF8 is a gem.
I put 58k miles in 26 months on my 2020 Grand Cherokee V6 8spd. Not seeing the hype. Is it decent/good - yes. Exceptional? - Far from it.

Part throttle downshifts are miserable in many incidences - no reaction until the go pedal is pushed down too far and engine screams. Transition from deceleration to acceleration are miserable. Transmission is still in slow-down mode while driver wants to accelerate - result is excessive down shift.

Through work I’ve had the opportunity to drive 100’s of different cars / trucks over the years. Always preferred manual transmissions for my personal vehicles for the mere fact of driving enjoyment. A few cars back, the guy at the MINI dealer let me drive a Counrtyman 2.0T with their 8spd auto. He promised me I would not miss shifting my own gears - he didn’t lie. Calibration/programming of shift points were spot on; no matter of driving style. Got into this GC, assuming experience will be similar - no such luck. Looking forward to the JL Sport 3.6 MT. Slower, less precise on-road manners and an ever so bigger grin while driving it.

Based on other comments however, I would consider test driving the 2.0T with the 8spd, should the MT become obsolete.
Sponsored