Sponsored

When is the best time to place a special order for the upcoming model year

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
I'm looking into putting in a special order for a Rubicon - 2door.

(Background)
I had an 04 TJ sport that I built up with 35's and basically everything you needed for decent offroading and had an absolute blast. After 17 years and 156K miles, It got to the inflection point of selling for a decent amount or keeping and let the value drop (little things started popping up). I loved that Jeep and even though I really miss it, I haven't 2nd guessed my decision.....it was the right time (and someone paid my "selling it at a crazy price" price).

So....My wife and I agreed to go after a new Rubicon, and just like my 04 TJ, I'm going to order it exactly how I want. I'm not in a huge hurry, but obviously after owning a Jeep for 17 years, I got a little bit of the itch.

I would like a '22 model year....so just trying to figure out when to place the order. Any insights?

(p.s. - thanks for moving to the correct forum)
Sponsored

Last edited:

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Sparty! Go GREEN! :)

If you are dead set on a '22, you will have to wait until order banks are open, but if you order too early (ie, after ordering is open, but before production actually starts) you might be waiting longer than if you wait a bit. Last year I ordered a '21 JLU for my wife. IIRC, order banks opened up in June or July, but production didn't start until sometime in August. I placed the order around the first week of August and we took delivery just about exactly 6 weeks later.

Since you want a 2 door, not sure if they will start rolling them off the line day one or not, but probably. Others will probably know that for sure.

Just my experience. The waiting is the hardest part, but it's worth it to get exactly what you want.

OP
OP
Sparty

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Sparty! Go GREEN! :)

If you are dead set on a '22, you will have to wait until order banks are open, but if you order too early (ie, after ordering is open, but before production actually starts) you might be waiting longer than if you wait a bit. Last year I ordered a '21 JLU for my wife. IIRC, order banks opened up in June or July, but production didn't start until sometime in August. I placed the order around the first week of August and we took delivery just about exactly 6 weeks later.

Since you want a 2 door, not sure if they will start rolling them off the line day one or not, but probably. Others will probably know that for sure.

Just my experience. The waiting is the hardest part, but it's worth it to get exactly what you want.
GO WHITE!!

Hey pangmaster - thank you for the info - that's exactly what I was looking for! Sounds like I get to spend the summer watching everyone else go topless/doorless :CWL:

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like I get to spend the summer watching everyone else go topless/doorless :CWL:
If it has to be a '22, then you would be correct.

Or better yet just say eff it and go down and place your order for a '21 right now and you'll more than likely have it before June.

Either way, I'm sure you will love it. Mine is almost 3 years old and I love more all the time (it's never finished) ;)

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Best time to order is early. There is a huge microchip shortage in the world today and the auto manufacturers can’t build as many cars as they want/need too. I am in the auto fleet business and I will be ordering my 2022, to replace the 2019, as soon as the build sheets drop.

Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Best time to order is early. There is a huge microchip shortage in the world today and the auto manufacturers can’t build as many cars as they want/need too. I am in the auto fleet business and I will be ordering my 2022, to replace the 2019, as soon as the build sheets drop.
Same here. Waiting for 2022s. Will be placing an order right away. Looking forward to some interior changes and new options possibly. Mid cycle refresh?

OP
OP
Sparty

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The chip market/situation will rebound. I can speak from other industries where they're looking towards June as the "things are getting better date"....and Automotive's priority (how big of a stick they carry) is larger than the markets I'm talking about. From what I've been reading so far, wranglers aren't hit as bad as other model lines.

Same here. Waiting for 2022s. Will be placing an order right away. Looking forward to some interior changes and new options possibly. Mid cycle refresh?
I have no knowledge - but from what I'm reading, '23 year may be the refresh. I can't wait THAT long...but waiting for the 22 model year is worth it for me in terms of depreciation - especially since I'll be ordering mine as I can't find any stock that matches what I want.
Sponsored