When do you REFUEL?

mgarciaknight

First Name
MG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU80
Wondering about the different personalities and opinions on when do you refuel and why? In other words, how low do you let the tank get before you fill up again? Half way, Quarter tank, Yellow warning light, Lowest red mark on gauge, Running on fumes?
I am guilty of letting it get to the lowest mark on the gauge before filling up the tank again.
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Wondering about the different personalities and opinions on when do you refuel and why? In other words, how low do you let the tank get before you fill up again? Half way, Quarter tank, Yellow warning light, Lowest red mark on gauge, Running on fumes?
I am guilty of letting it get to the lowest mark on the gauge before filling up the tank again.
When the low fuel light turns on.

Even though I know it’s probably not great for the pump since they have to work harder.

But. Life is short.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I top off before heading out to the trails. Once a month I’ll get below a quarter tank with no trail run and then look for a convenient time to fill up.
When I used to log my fuel economy in previous vehicles I’d record my odometer when my fuel light came on and then purchase fuel. Usually only about 5 gallons since I wasn’t driving much in LA.

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
I've gotten used to always filling up at half tank. Guarantees that fuel pump is always cool and if I end up going longer in-between filling , I usually catch it at a quarter tank no further. I use non-ethanol only and every so often I'll do a long trip just to cycle everything through to clear out the old for to keep it form cycling in the tank for to long.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
When traveling I try to pay attention to the range and find a gas stop before range gets down to 0. This requires planning because some roads in New Mexico and Colorado have gas stops pretty far apart. Here around town I don't drive much and I usually try to fill up when I get down to half tank. I like to keep our cars reasonably full in case of emergencies.

Sponsored

AlrightAlready

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR. Couple Ducs
Whenever I have free time while driving home. Mine stays usually at 3/4 or higher. I rarely go under half a tank. Never hurts to be prepared haha. If I am making a trip 3+ hours, I let it go down pretty low but fuel up before getting to destination so I won't need to when leaving. I never run it to the fuel light though.

Sital

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys - Reign
Typically when my cruising range is somewhere between 30 and 80 miles.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Fuel pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank. Fuel pump life is dramatically impacted in a negative way if it is not cooled properly...

And... the first time in your life that you have a major disaster, a medical emergency in regard to you or your family and similar occurrences, where you need to go somewhere a tad distant, NOW in your vehicle, is the last day that you will routinely let your gas gauge go below say half tank.

Sponsored

firesnuffer

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubi, 2006 Xterra, 14' Explorer
I usually fill up when the tank hits 1/2. Habit I formed from work. We top off trucks as soon as they hit the 3/4 mark. Always good to be prepared for a emergency.

BenDiem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 991.2TT; 23 EVO RWD
Occupation
US Gov’t Contractor & Gym Rat
I’m guilty of refueling btw 1/8 & 1/4. I hate refueling b/c I can never get rid of the gas smell on my hands. Moreover, I hate it even more during the pandemic.

Just now realized, I need to put some hand sanitizer in my vehicles. That should remedy this issue, lol...
Cheers/B

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Right before the next drag race at the track... or the traffic light

Jeep Wrangler JL When do you REFUEL? 1618231348129

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
With the small tank in the 2 dr even full you're already low on fuel :( I refill at 1/4 tank typically. IME @ 1/4 tank it still only takes about 10 gallons.
Sponsored