Sponsored

When do you consider a Jeep to be "built"?

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
I often hear people refer to rigs as "built". What do you think qualifies for that designation? To me it seems like the rig in question needs to be 100% ready for Black/Red trails, so skids, tires, lift, bumpers, winch, lockers. What's everyone else's definition?
Sponsored

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
A Wrangler build completion is not only a fluid window from, at one extreme, the manufacturer's completion for some, until the other end of the spectrum when the owner has added all the things they want to, I'd even argue that it can, all based on the mind of the owner, go from completely built, to less than so, as features get released in the market that the owner feels compelled to save up for, acquire, and install.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I often hear people refer to rigs as "built". What do you think qualifies for that designation? To me it seems like the rig in question needs to be 100% ready for Black/Red trails, so skids, tires, lift, bumpers, winch, lockers. What's everyone else's definition?
I think it refers to the old “ built not bought “ phrase. When I was younger and broke, you’d buy a strip down bare bones Jeep and build it. Axles, lockers, bumpers winch, lift etc.....

Then you could put on your “ Built not Bought” windshield banner, and be proud to show off what you’d done.

Now that I’m an old man I don’t want to go through that much work to start from scratch, so I bought a rubicon. I might not be cool anymore, but I’m enjoying the fruits of my working my ass off for 40 years and counting.......:)

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
when it’s sold
Ken, did you mean when it's sold by the dealer, or when the owner thereafter sells it someone else, as in the adage, "the two happiest day in a boat owner's life is when they buy, and sell their ship?"

;)

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Ken, did you mean when it's sold by the dealer, or when the owner thereafter sells it someone else, as in the adage, "the two happiest day in a boat owner's life is when they buy, and sell their ship?"

;)
So true - what I wxperience is once I’ve done everything I go “what’s my next project”

Sponsored

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
A Jeep "build" is what the owner does to it after purchase to make it able to do the type of use he plans on doing with it. So a Jeep "build" will be different for each person, and some will be mild builds and others will be more serious builds. Sorry, a stock Jeep has not had a Jeep "build" performed on it.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I am building mine. So far, bigger tires, rock rails, new front bumper, winch, stubby antenna. Next is a lift. It has a “build,” but it will probably never be “built,” because I may come up with a new project, such as more armor.

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
If you are referring to the "built not bought" mentality; this is mute in reality. Please point me to a person who "builds" their own jeep, without "buying" what they want, and having others bolt it on. NOBODY "builds" their own jeep. They "buy" the parts they need, and might bolt a few of them on (tires/lift kit/bumpers), but everything else 99.99999% of the time someone else does it for them. Especially a custom jeep that will never see mud, dirt, rocks, etc., but will be at every jeep or car show and be as clean and immaculate as Jesus's robe.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
If no mods in previous 90 days, it's built! My build is ongoing...
Sponsored