Sponsored

When did you do your first oil change.....?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have 1800 miles on my new Rubicon JLR which an oil change appointment for this Friday... I have seen some Jeepers get an oil change like me as old school at 2k or 3k miles and the dealer said 7k...

So tell me what you did....

Miles?
Type of oil/filters?
Did you do the dealer freebee?
Why or Remarks?

I am a new first time owner of a jeep...well my wife is. I have 400 miles on her 2021 Snazzberry Willy's. This was my question too. I want to treat "snazzy" well and get lots of use out of her. I plan to change at 1000 miles and will do it at home w/synthetic. If I read correct, everyone recommends the Pennzoil 0W 20 I will take it to the dealer around the 5000 mile mark and get the 'free' change. then at 12.5K change it myself again. I will probably stick to 5000 or 7500 mile regimen unless someone here with more experience recommends otherwise.
It'll be fine. While some of us like to do the first change earlier, I've never seen any evidence of harm in going 3k miles on the first oil change. In fact, I've not seen evidence of going the full oil life monitor distance, at least on the V6. I doubt it's an issue on the 2.0, either.

I did my first at 2k miles and did an oil analysis. It had the expected break-in crap in it, but no worse than what I've seen with 1k on others. The oil itself was in good shape, and doing what it is supposed to do by holding the crap in suspension.

The owners manual would say to change it early if it caused any issues to go the full distance.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Miles? I did my first oil change at 5K miles. Did every oil change and tire rotation at 5K miles.
Type of oil/filters? Mopar filter and whatever JEEP approved oil dealer used.
Did you do the dealer freebee? Yes, the dealer did the FREE oil change and 5-wheel tire rotations.
Why or Remarks? JEEP pays for the first 2 years of oil changes and tire rotations. My oil level was always right on but some members report different. Double check the oil level before leaving.

waypoint

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara Unlimited; 2017 Sport-S Unlimited
I did mine at 298x miles, found a few shiny metal specs in the factory oil filter but not unexpected on a new engine. Added a Gold Plug magnetic drain plug along with 5 quarts of Valvoline High Mileage synthetic 0W-20 (no Valvoline Extended Protection 0W20 on the shelf) and a MO-349 oil filter.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I did mine at 298x miles, found a few shiny metal specs in the factory oil filter but not unexpected on a new engine. Added a Gold Plug magnetic drain plug along with 5 quarts of Valvoline High Mileage synthetic 0W-20 (no Valvoline Extended Protection 0W20 on the shelf) and a MO-349 oil filter.
That high mileage oil won't hurt a thing. It is great oil, new or old engine.

I installed a Gold Plug a couple changes ago, too. Works well!

Martial Fartist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Just changed my oil for the first time. Just under 2,300 miles.
There was only about 4.5qts that came out of my 3.6.
Any one else been almost a half quart low with so little miles?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Just changed my oil for the first time. Just under 2,300 miles.
There was only about 4.5qts that came out of my 3.6.
Any one else been almost a half quart low with so little miles?
@Martial Fartist

No big deal seeing 4.5 qts... How long did it sit and drain, did you account for the oil on the filter element, the oil that dripped all over when you as a first timer pulled/removed the element, oil on the sides of your collection pan, oil on the wipe cloth, oil spilled on the garage floor, etc...

Martial Fartist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@Martial Fartist

No big deal seeing 4.5 qts... How long did it sit and drain, did you account for the oil on the filter element, the oil that dripped all over when you as a first timer pulled/removed the element, oil on the sides of your collection pan, oil on the wipe cloth, oil spilled on the garage floor, etc...
Drained for between 5 and 10 minutes. Until it was barely a trickle.
No real spillage, change my other vehicles oil as well. I’m pretty good at keeping the mess to a minimum. 💪🏻
Never paid attention in other vehicles. Just noticed because this was the first change.

Just wanted to check in with the pros here! Thanks!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Drained for between 5 and 10 minutes. Until it was barely a trickle.
No real spillage, change my other vehicles oil as well. I’m pretty good at keeping the mess to a minimum. 💪🏻
Never paid attention in other vehicles. Just noticed because this was the first change.

Just wanted to check in with the pros here! Thanks!
Pentastars are funny that way. If you drain it for an hour, then let it sit all night, you'll see more there in the morning.

I usually let mine drain 10 -15 minutes with the oil filter cap loose and then put a 5 quart jug in it and be done. It always lines up perfectly with the full line on the dip stick (hot engine, checked 5 minutes after shut down, as per the owner's manual.)

If nervous about it, it won't hurt to overfill by 1/2 quart. All FCA designed engines are designed to meet all their testing criteria either 1 quart low or 1 quart overfilled and everywhere inbetween.

davidjs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS
Maybe I missed it but I wanted to mention that you should loosen the oil filter housing before removing the drain plug no matter what engine, if it is on top of your engine (like my 3.6, admittedly I'm not sure if other engines are the same). Oil is in the filter housing and you loosen it before pulling the drain plug so it will drain as well, otherwise it is sealed in the filter housing and will mix with the new oil if you change the filter after draining the oil pan

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
If mine ever gets here.....filter at 1000 and oil at 3000..... and every 3000 after.

Sponsored

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Maybe I missed it but I wanted to mention that you should loosen the oil filter housing before removing the drain plug no matter what engine, if it is on top of your engine (like my 3.6, admittedly I'm not sure if other engines are the same). Oil is in the filter housing and you loosen it before pulling the drain plug so it will drain as well, otherwise it is sealed in the filter housing and will mix with the new oil if you change the filter after draining the oil pan
Huh?

It's more time efficient to remove the drain plug first and while the oil is draining, remove and replace the filter. I don't see how removing the filter before the drain plug would make any difference, other than spending more time than necessary.

davidjs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS
Huh?

It's more time efficient to remove the drain plug first and while the oil is draining, remove and replace the filter. I don't see how removing the filter before the drain plug would make any difference, other than spending more time than necessary.
You worded it better. My point was to not put the drain plug back in before changing the filter

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Huh?

I do what you do. But I think we are splitting hairs. My own feeling is that if the oil fill cap and oil filter cap are loose when draining, most of the oil will drain. At that point drain time is a much bigger factor. So I open the drain plug then loosen the other two and then drain for 20-30 minutes. You never get it all. A Pentastar can drop all night if you let it.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Changed mine today, 2,041 miles. Went with the Mopar filter and Penzoil platinum 0W-20. So much easier than the Hemi in my RAM.
Put in 5 quarts, will check the level in the am to make sure it is good

total time 20 minutes ish

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Changed mine today, 2,041 miles. Went with the Mopar filter and Penzoil platinum 0W-20. So much easier than the Hemi in my RAM.
Put in 5 quarts, will check the level in the am to make sure it is good

total time 20 minutes ish
@Murphydog

If you know you put 5 qts in..... and you are 100% sure you put 5 qts in.... then 5 qts is in there... No need to "make sure it is good", as proper/correct fill is 5 qts.

I never check the dipstick on a JL or JT, after pouring in a 5 qt. jug of oil... What would that accomplish.. I mean you know you just put in 5 qts.. and that is what is required.... daaah.

Since it was your first oil change on your JL and you know you put 5 qts in ...... tomorrow when you pull the dipstick..... before starting the JL ....... DO, mark/etch the dipstick, so you know in the future when you check the oil level... with engine cold.... that you can see where a 5qt. fill registers on the JL's dipstick when engine is cold.

Now, over the weeks and months, til next oil change time, just check the dipstick when the JL is cold. Use your 5 qt, cold engine. known fill line in determining your oil status.

Sponsored