Sponsored

When did you do your first oil change.....?

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
David,

Yes in a way. There is a Mopar smartphone app that registers your Jeep (by VIN) and shows you it's corporate maintenance record. It supports both official (dealership) entries as well as letting you input your own. My oil change entries show the date, oil and filter type, the amount and any notes. It seems official enough. Of course I keep all my receipts as proof. However, if nothing else it's a great way to maintain a log of your vehicle's service and maintenance actions.

Just search your Apple or Google store apps for 'Jeep'. You'll have to prove that you are indeed the owner, via DMV, original title or dealership sales records. Once that's been established, they give you access to that VIN's corporate maintenance records. Of course it's very filtered and just from a very high summary level. But it is a way for you to manually insert your own (self-provided) maintenance activity.

Hope this helps.
Jay
Thanks so much for this helpful info Jay! I have that app and I have previously skimmed through it and I do remember a section about recalls and maintenance records! Very glad to hear that we can input our own maintenance records through that!
Thanks again!
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I have 1800 miles on my new Rubicon JLR which an oil change appointment for this Friday... I have seen some Jeepers get an oil change like me as old school at 2k or 3k miles and the dealer said 7k...

So tell me what you did....

Miles?
Type of oil/filters?
Did you do the dealer freebee?
Why or Remarks?

If the forum owner (Bill?) could you make this a vote with comments. I see some folks talking about this and with more and more JL owners are getting to this point will need to know.
2.0L Etorque

- 10,000 miles (computer said 10% oil life remaining)
- Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5/30
- Royal Purple Extended Life filter P/N: 20-500 (This is about 1.5 inches longer than factory but not a clearance issue)
- Did myself
- Gets changed when computer says 25% life remaining. Trust the computer as the life varies greatly depending on how vehicle is used. A weekend of off road crawling can drop this by 5%. A month of highway driving maybe only 2%.

I used to be a "1500 mile first change" guy from my old pushrod V8 days. But had a couple Audi's that had ring seat issues by doing so - synthetic too soon is not good for low friction rings as they take time to seat. I am now a firm believer in not being too early to change the first oil fill.

Deleted member 59098

My first was at 4K performed myself, I'm now at 16K with a total of either 4 or 6 changes (depending if you're into the phenomena of counting using 'new' math at the dealerhips).

I've personally performed 4 oil changes. However, I was stupid enough to have let the dealership perform two. Specifically, two different dealers one each. After they 'both' installed 6 quarts, even after I explicitly stated 5 on the second visit, I'm absolutely done with their ineptitude. Both times, I drove home, drained and refilled with the proper 5 quarts on both occasions, essentially getting two free engine oil flushes.

The second dealer even lied to my face that they put in 5 quarts. Before driving away, I had shown the Express Lane write-up rep and her manager the oil was past the full mark and a good 1/4 inch up on the dipstick cable. After showing them the page in the owner's manual that JL's require only 5 quarts they offered to drain the overfill. I politely but adamantly declined at ever letting them touch my Jeep again.

So if you too want the chance to perform an oil flush, use the Jeep wave thingy. When they overfill it go perform it correctly. My gosh, it's almost 2021, almost three full years since the JL's have been on the market. If it was only the blind incompetence of a single dealer that would be one thing, but two different dealerships, wow!

In addition to the Jeep Wave misery, both offered the free tire rotations. But only 4 wheels. It was an extra 'up' charge for rotating the fifth (spare) at both dealers. Both times I declined and taken it to the local Sam's Club tire shop. They rotate all five including a computerized rebalance on each wheel (all five) for free. No upcharge whatsoever.

FCA Dealership lube shops are trying they're very best to be the very last place on the planet to take your JL. I'm not going to take a chance on a third dealer. They'll have to pay me handsomely to ever go back. Even then, I'm confident it will just be yet another flush while performing even more dealership 'new' math.

Jay
I’ve never been to a dealer, except for recalls. I can see why they overfill, since the 3.6 in the WK2 and likely many other FCA vehicles takes 6 qts. This is the easiest engine ever to do an oil change. The filter is right on top and there’s no plastic crap to remove. I love the 5 quart aspect, you can put the recycle oil all in one jug.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Mopar Filter after 5,000 miles, 6 months. I’m no efficiando at this type of thing but looks like it held up very good even for light driving.
Jeep Wrangler JL When did you do your first oil change.....? EC41C207-BB69-4A19-AD35-50B48445F5D9

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
First oil change. 5k miles, Super Tech 0/20 full synthetic, Fram oil filter.
No dealer, afraid of what they would do to it not to mention I don’t have the time to waste.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Did oil change and differentials myself at 5000 miles. 20 Rubicon.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Changed at 1500 for m1 extended 0w20 and filter.

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JL Rubicon, 03 Honda XR650L
Just did my first change tonight, 3.6l 4000 miles. New mopar filter and 0/20 pennzoil platinum full syn made from natty gas. Diffs will be done in the next 1000miles

Fredtp

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Stingray
Occupation
Retired
Did mine at 1000 miles Mobil 1 filter and Valvoline 5w-30 Full Synthetic.
Will do diff"s at 2000 miles.

Sponsored

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
My first change was at 7000 miles with 5% still left, used Pennzoil synthetic and a Wix filter.

Deleted member 59098

I’m about to do my first oil change at 4,500. I’ll do the rear differential as well. Do you guys think I should do the front diff as well? My guesstimate is I’ve probably been less than 100 miles in 4WD.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Just did the Oil, Filter, Rear Dif, and 5 tire rotation at 5K. So easy to work on this thing.
Fluids came out pretty black after 5K so I'm glad I did it. Did the rear dif with Royal Purple, Mobile -1 in the engine, and Mopar filter. Also installed a Stahlbus Oil Drain Valve Plug, so extra easy next time.

G.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
I just did my first oil change and 5 tire rotation myself, in my garage. Had done the 4 free Jeep wave ones at the dealership and had been looking forward to this for some time, 3.6 17k miles. Previously had done both front and read diffs plus transfer case fluids as well, so this was a cake walk.