Sponsored

When did dealers service centers start treating customers like an inconvenience?

Shark01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392, 2005 Ford GT, 1999 Lamborghini Diablo
Thank you! For every apologist crying the FCA/Jeep has no control over how crappy their dealership network is, I ask why do they allow it if they don’t condone it? Lexus dealerships are independent of the brand as well. I’m sure someone here has a story of their friend’s bus driver’s second cousin who got lousy Lexus dealership service once back in ‘98. But it’s a rare exception rather than the rule. There’s only 3 in Houston and each one strives to one up the others. There’s probably 30 CJDR franchises and the general consensus is average to below average. My personal experience is different, I wouldn’t say my dealership is exceptional but they seem competent.
Lexus dealers in Houston have been stellar for the past 25 years.....if only the SUVs were not sooo boring and ugly I'm sure my wife would have bought one recently.
Sponsored

Banjomule

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JK, JLU
They pay the technician the "warranty" time for a job, which is lower than the "customer pay" or "book" time for the same job. If a typical powertrain parts replacement job pays 12 hours, the warranty time is usually about 1.5 times lower than that.

SO, the tech makes fewer hours. It's gotten cutthroat in the OEM's the last few years, they've even gone back into the times and modified them downwards for cars that are 20 years old. Want to know why? Because they started offering "lifetime" warranty on OEM parts replaced at the dealership. Their fix to the cost of the program, was to take away flat rate, which hurts the dealer and the techs, but barely the OEM since they're buying parts at cost. They have to pay the dealer for the parts, which is at a reduced rate from suggested retail, but they sold it to us at dealer cost, so it's not costing them as much.

In the last 5 years, I've found that small jobs that paid an hour or less (.7-1.0) have been cut back to .3-.4. That's enough to bump your monthly output down 15-20 hours, and thus your paycheck. Our hours are down, because we're doing a MUCH higher percentage of warranty work now.

This is why the master techs are looking for an escape route, without fully retiring.

Just as an FYI, the really skilled techs are fed up with the pay system. There's a reason the skill level at the dealerships is trending downward. I'm a hanger-on at this point. Trying to make it another 3-3.5 years, and then we're done. I get told that I'm doing a great job, but the great job is making them over a million a year from labor and parts sales while they pay me less than 10%. All while training the young guys. If I wasn't getting the labor for training an apprentice, I'd be out of here.

We're actively looking for another situation.
thanks for the explanation. I hope something turns around and they start to recognize the value of a good mechanic!

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Lexus dealers in Houston have been stellar for the past 25 years.....if only the SUVs were not sooo boring and ugly I'm sure my wife would have bought one recently.
I’m of an age and disposition that whether a vehicle is “boring” or “ugly” ranks very low on the “do I care about this when spending $50K?” scale. Many non Jeep people make the same valid argument about Jeeps. Same front end, same simplistic boxy shape for 80 years now.

We are waiting on the arrival of the wife’s new RX350 any day now. The ONLY thing my Jeep is hands down better at is of course when the pavement ends. That’s why I bought it. The RX is lovely in every way. Lexus service means that they’ll call me to pick it up when it arrives (or drive 35 miles to my house to bring me there) or I can choose to have it white glove delivered to our home or her work. They’ll stay as long as we like familiarizing us with every setting and option. They’ll even make sure to seat each fuse securely in the fuse box for us. :CWL: The MSRP on a well equipped 2023 RX350 is $1K less than the MSRP on my 2019 loaded JLUR. And I won’t spend 10’s of thousands of dollars modding it and upgrading it. Its purpose is to make my wife’s 25K miles a year commuting around the greater Houston area comfortable, convenient, and reliable. Anyone that says that a Jeep excels at that needs their head checked or their honesty meter calibrated.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Honestly, the aesthetic and overall vibe of the showroom and the customer waiting area (for service) at my CDJR dealer* is maybe one step removed from what I'd expect to see at a We Finance Everyone! used car seller. The Parts counter is literally at the end of a nondescript hallway with lighting that could be better.

I'd be curious to know if this reality has dissuaded anyone from buying a new Wagoneer or Grand Wagoneer at such a dealer, vis-a-vis the expectations of the customer tier that is willing to spend what they must for a luxury SUV.

*I selected that dealer for my business because my salesman, while kinda clueless, was friendly enough, and because the CDJR dealer that is closer to me has recurringly low ratings. My purchase experience went well enough, as have my annual state inspection appointments, so I'm sticking with what works for now.
We bought a Wagoneer. It's strange how it all worked out. We were going to buy a Grand Wagoneer through the dealer where I bought my Wrangler. The process there was painless and easy in mMay of 2020. The place had changed for the worse in the 2 plus years since I bought it. I got up and walked out when they showed me the trade offer for the Navigator we had. Just took the key and walked out, Covert Jeep in Austin, Tx. The staff at every level there was terrible. They were working hard to get people into used cars and V6 Chargers, but we were somehow a pain in the ass for them.

A couple weeks later we went to Maxwell Jeep, a few miles down the highway. The experience was much, much better. It still had the CDJR vibe about it, but the place was much cleaner and the staff was a lot better. We bought a Wagoneer, level III for $20k less than the Grand was going to cost and gave up very few options do go that route. Also, the deal was far more in our favor with no four square, circle on a paper, lines with initials if you buy now and all of the assorted bullshit that many dealers try to rope you into.

Oh, I changed the oil myself. It wont go to the dealer unless something breaks that I can't fix.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
thanks for the explanation. I hope something turns around and they start to recognize the value of a good mechanic!
They recognize them in non-monetary ways usually! Corporate is really good at handing you gear from time to time like an extra USB battery, or a thermos, but the dealer writes the paychecks and they aren't bumping pay right now.

Sponsored

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
I bought a 23 Wrangler 392 from Autonation in Spring TX. I'm having a issue with my power one touch lifting on the passenger side when doing 75mph. Called to have my 3 week old jeep looked at and was told I would have to give them my jeep for 5 to 7 days so it could sit on the lot till they have time to look at it. So I guess I am expected to just deal with having no vehicle for a week plus?
Most dealerships of any make or model have been back logged for 2 to four weeks for 3 years now. It’s nature of the game currently/unfortunately…

OP
OP
Cajunali

Cajunali

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Yukon XL Denali
Most dealerships of any make or model have been back logged for 2 to four weeks for 3 years now. It’s nature of the game currently/unfortunately…
That doesn’t bother me my issue is they want me to make an appointment to drop it off for a week just to diagnose it when they have time.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Most luxury brand dealerships will provide a comparable loaner and many offer concierge services where they’ll pick yours up and drop off the loaner at your home or work. Jeep is not a luxury brand.
And Mercedes now sells reasonably priced $35k cars and SUVs, while Jeep now has models pushing well over $100k, with base Wranglers starting at $35k and your average-spec Rubicon easily running $50 to $60k.

OP bought a brand new $80k+ vehicle, so "luxury brand" or not, Jeep needs to step up their shit asap and figure out a way for their QA, warranty and dealership service network to better reflect their continuously skyrocketing prices that keep jumping multiple times each year, year after year.

Shark01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392, 2005 Ford GT, 1999 Lamborghini Diablo
I’m of an age and disposition that whether a vehicle is “boring” or “ugly” ranks very low on the “do I care about this when spending $50K?” scale. Many non Jeep people make the same valid argument about Jeeps. Same front end, same simplistic boxy shape for 80 years now.

We are waiting on the arrival of the wife’s new RX350 any day now. The ONLY thing my Jeep is hands down better at is of course when the pavement ends. That’s why I bought it. The RX is lovely in every way. Lexus service means that they’ll call me to pick it up when it arrives (or drive 35 miles to my house to bring me there) or I can choose to have it white glove delivered to our home or her work. They’ll stay as long as we like familiarizing us with every setting and option. They’ll even make sure to seat each fuse securely in the fuse box for us. :CWL: The MSRP on a well equipped 2023 RX350 is $1K less than the MSRP on my 2019 loaded JLUR. And I won’t spend 10’s of thousands of dollars modding it and upgrading it. Its purpose is to make my wife’s 25K miles a year commuting around the greater Houston area comfortable, convenient, and reliable. Anyone that says that a Jeep excels at that needs their head checked or their honesty meter calibrated.
Life is too short not to commute in something fun and that looks good. I put up with an already 3 year old Ford Escape for 6 years so I could buy a Ford GT.

So now ready to have a fun commute again with a 392. The wife ended up with an Acura MDX Type S, which is also very entertaining.......especially in Sport+, hauls total ass.

Sponsored

caraholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taycan Turbo, 392XR, 981S, F430
I bought a 23 Wrangler 392 from Autonation in Spring TX. I'm having a issue with my power one touch lifting on the passenger side when doing 75mph. Called to have my 3 week old jeep looked at and was told I would have to give them my jeep for 5 to 7 days so it could sit on the lot till they have time to look at it. So I guess I am expected to just deal with having no vehicle for a week plus?
I have the same issue with my 392 and it’s so annoying to have to deal with a whistle. I was told by my dealer 10 days on the lot before they could even look at it with no rental car. It’s beyond me how this even makes sense. If the back loaf is that much call me the day beforethe shop can take it and I’ll drop it off. This the main reason I hate owning an American vehicle.

caraholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taycan Turbo, 392XR, 981S, F430
I get it, but what they're saying is, we're loaded down with appointments, from customers that made an appointment ahead of you, and yours is about a week out if you want a rush order instead of waiting in the 3-4 week line that other people are waiting in. If you make an appointment 3 weeks away, then you don't need to drop off your car and wait a week to hear anything.

It sounds like "you could just look at my car as it's probably simple". What you're saying when you say this, is butt me into the line of people that already have their cars here for service, already have appointments, and are waiting for their cars. Would you want someone to bump your service/warranty/repair appointment for someone with a non-critical issue? If you're willing to drop something off, they'll look at it when they have an opening. Sometimes that can take days. Sometimes it happens the same day. Depends on who shows up, who cancels, how quickly jobs get done. We tell people the same thing, drop it off and it will probably be looked at in a week.

We try to prioritize tow-ins here for newer vehicles, but the scheduled work MUST BE DONE the day that it was scheduled. We get torn up on surveys otherwise, and the OEM's are crazy about surveys. It doesn't matter if it's a critical problem or an annoying one, the backlog is what it is at this point, and waiting in line behind other people ahead of you, is the way that things have worked forever. Patience goes a long ways towards a happy outcome. Understand that shops are busy, have been busy, and it isn't looking like they won't be for some time. It's not a matter of techs always, a lot of the shops have full bays of techs. Experienced techs, well that's another matter.
This is not the case at all, at least for me. I will have to wait a couple weeks to bring my car in for its appointment. Then on my appointment date it would be 10 days out before they could even look at it. Had this happen with my wife’s wrangler last year. Waited three weeks for my appointment. Then after I dropped off my car it wasn’t even looked at till a week later. Im sorry but thats completely unacceptable for any tier of vehicle. Especially when you consider that a loaner is also not available. I’m not asking for special treatment or someone to get bumped. Im just asking if i’m waiting weeks to get my vehicle in then you look at it within a day that I drop it off. If you are still backed up at that stage then reschedule the appointment.

RocNRol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity Sport S
Occupation
Tacos
We bought a Wagoneer. It's strange how it all worked out. We were going to buy a Grand Wagoneer through the dealer where I bought my Wrangler. The process there was painless and easy in mMay of 2020. The place had changed for the worse in the 2 plus years since I bought it. I got up and walked out when they showed me the trade offer for the Navigator we had. Just took the key and walked out, Covert Jeep in Austin, Tx. The staff at every level there was terrible. They were working hard to get people into used cars and V6 Chargers, but we were somehow a pain in the ass for them.

A couple weeks later we went to Maxwell Jeep, a few miles down the highway. The experience was much, much better. It still had the CDJR vibe about it, but the place was much cleaner and the staff was a lot better. We bought a Wagoneer, level III for $20k less than the Grand was going to cost and gave up very few options do go that route. Also, the deal was far more in our favor with no four square, circle on a paper, lines with initials if you buy now and all of the assorted bullshit that many dealers try to rope you into.

Oh, I changed the oil myself. It wont go to the dealer unless something breaks that I can't fix.
Yep. Test drove Jeeps at Covert and they confirmed I could get below MSRP pricing. When it was time to order, they said MSRP was the only option. That call lasted 2 minutes. Southpoint and San Marcos Jeep did the same, also. 5th dealership I contacted offered below invoice, so I went with them. Covert also tried to push a $3,000+ ceramic coating and cold air intake on me.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, the dealer business model is broken. But it is easy for the automakers to sit back and blame dealers for everything that is wrong with customer treatment as if they, the automakers, didn't have anything to do with it.

Ford may want to get rid of its dealers, but the sad reality is that a big part of the reason Ford dealers suck is because Ford treats them like shit.

If Ford gets rid of its dealers, little is going to improve until Ford itself changes. And I don't see that happening any time soon.

The same is true of most legacy automakers.

Dan28

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR, '17 HD FLHXS, '22 Honda CRF450RL
Yep, seems like the go-to excuse everywhere nowadays. It was a valid reason in 2020, 2021, and maybe even into 2022, but having a hard time believing everything is still cocked up due to Covid alone. I'm sure there's still some lingering impact but it gets old when every poor experience is blamed on the Rona.
Does seem like I'm hearing the same excuse from a bunch of different places. Had a warm day a couple weeks ago and rode the Harley to work. On the way home, pot hole and severly bent rim, not fixable and have to replace. Go to Harley's website to order rim, cant find it. Go to dealer, its on back order with no ETA for when it will even come in. This is the stock wheel off their highest selling bike and was placed on pretty much all their touring bikes for multiple years. I ended up going to ebay and buying a take off, which ended up saving me money anyway. Talking to the guys in their service department and its basically the same story that tons of parts are on backorder still and covid was the supposed reason. Maybe its just a convienient excuse, but that's a whole separate company and parts channel having similar issues.
Sponsored