Sponsored

When crossing water, at what depth should water seep into the cabin?

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
On the plus side, I went through a carwash with the Rugged Ridge entry guards and no water!

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
all bets are off when the valves go underwater
... Luckily the vehicle will be in for service this Friday, so I'll make sure they check the diff fluids at that time. Already drove 1500 miles on them through so hopefully no damage if water did leak in.
Yeah, but remember the context. Those check valves are located above the fording depth. Your original question was just around door-sill-seepage, and the sills are considerably lower.

So as far as checking/changing diff fluid goes, if I just had water above the door sills, and had some seepage of, as you said, one or two cups of water under the doors onto the floor mats, I wouldn't be concerned at all about differential intrusion.

A dealer is probably gonna hit you for 400 or more for a front/rear diff fluid change. No need to incur that expense prematurely or over-complicate your life.

OP
OP
A Sober Animal

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

Yeah, but remember the context. Those check valves are located above the fording depth. Your original question was just around door-sill-seepage, and the sills are considerably lower.

So as far as checking/changing diff fluid goes, if I just had water above the door sills, and had some seepage of, as you said, one or two cups of water under the doors onto the floor mats, I wouldn't be concerned at all about differential intrusion.

A dealer is probably gonna hit you for 400 or more for a front/rear diff fluid change. No need to incur that expense prematurely or over-complicate your life.
Was quoted $450 to have this completed, and was told that they can't check diff fluid because once some comes out, they need to refill it and they would need to charge me, at a minimum the $65 for the smallest size of diff fluid plus labor.

I'm just going to wait at this point given the fact I've already driven 1500 miles on it since it happened, and I never fully drove through the deep part where this could of been an issue. Immediately stopped and reversed out, so while there may be a minimal risk that the front valve was under water, it would of been for barely a few seconds.

I now plan to just have all of my fluids replaced early when I hit 30k miles (which is only 6k miles away).

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Check you own diffs. Pull the fill plugs and shove your pinky in there. If there’s water in there, your see milky crap on your finger. There’s no need to drain and refill. Who ever is telling you that they can’t check the fluid without a full drain, go somewhere else.

Just because you already drove 1500 miles makes no difference. You could have been tearing up your gears for that 1500 miles and will continue to do so if there’s water in there.

Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
This isn't really true. Snorkels aren't just for water, they also help the Jeep breathe cleaner air in very dusty environments like following other vehicles down dirt roads. But I do agree that most people that run them do it for the look instead of an actual need, kind of like a farm jack. Can't tell you how many of those I see, usually color matched to the Jeep, on Jeeps that have nowhere to actually use them on the Jeep.
I don’t really buy into the cleaner air in dusty environments either. From off roading in dry conditions, the dust is 20 feet in the air. It’s everywhere. I guess if the snorkel air intake was spun to face the rear of the Jeep it may help some.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Usually the jeep is pretty water proof, not guaranteed though. Some people get leakage. Hit or miss. Also a quick splash through, probably be okay, swimming around in waterbkong term. More likely to get water.
And it's a real problem every time you have to stop and move a log out of your way.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I did a trip a couple years back. Had the Jeep in water deep enough it was half way between the door hinges. Had minor water near the doors on the carpet nothing more than just damp flooring. No issues from it at all

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Contrary to popular belief, the drain plugs are not "one-way". Surprisingly, water can come in through them also. Who knew?🤷‍♂️
And for the vast majority of Jeepers, snorkels are just for show. There are some legit reasons for one but almost no one has those use cases.
Hopefully the drain plugs are "zero-way". The drain holes, however, are a different matter ;)

ZigZag

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR (Hellayella)
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

Hopefully the drain plugs are "zero-way". The drain holes, however, are a different matter ;)
The one-way drain plugs was joke from my TJR which had the plugs removed and never replaced. If I crossed a stream or a lake water would come in and the kids would say we were sinking. It old them that was nonsense. They are drains and only drain one-way. Not to worry until the water came in through the doors (which were off at the time).
Sponsored