Sponsored

When are you using 4H and 4L on your Wrangler?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Where are the photos taken off your showcase.
That’s Twin Lakes trail, on the North Cascades mountains.

The good news is that it is a gorgeous trail only 45 mins from my front door.

The bad news is that’s one of the very few trails like it that the public can access in all western Washington.

Thankfully, British Columbia, which is only 20 mins north of here, has plenty of trails with public access. I can’t wait for the border to reopen!
Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
Simple, yet effective explanation, thanks! Are you good to go over 70 with 4H?
The Jeep technically can go 70+ in 4H, but if there is enough snow on the ground to warrant 4H I wouldn't recommend doing it.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The Jeep technically can go 70+ in 4H, but if there is enough snow on the ground to warrant 4H I wouldn't recommend doing it.
The OP was using Km/h, which is roughly 45 MPH.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

How does traction control factor in on all this? I would assume 2H and traction control would be helpful on pavement with wet or light snow on the road?

Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That’s Twin Lakes trail, on the North Cascades mountains.

The good news is that it is a gorgeous trail only 45 mins from my front door.

The bad news is that’s one of the very few trails like it that the public can access in all western Washington.

Thankfully, British Columbia, which is only 20 mins north of here, has plenty of trails with public access. I can’t wait for the border to reopen!
Nice, the plans are when Covid19 is better and it's all good we plan on taking a road trip Westward
and making the west coast and driving up Highway 1 into Alaska and Canada.

Not sure if Highway 1 is reopened yet. Somewhere around Monterry the mountainside gave way and took the highway with it. For sure during winter times, not summer.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
You can also run 4H in heavy rain w/out issues. 4H requires some “slippage” when you are turning. Dry or semi dry will not allow that and will cause it to “bind”. In heavy rain/standing water/snow it’s a non issue

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Nice, the plans are when Covid19 is better and it's all good we plan on taking a road trip Westward
and making the west coast and driving up Highway 1 into Alaska and Canada.

Not sure if Highway 1 is reopened yet. Somewhere around Monterry the mountainside gave way and took the highway with it. For sure during winter times, not summer.
CA-1 gets slides constantly. They are usually pretty good at reopening it.

CA-1 makes for one gorgeous drive. But keep in mind that it makes for a VERY slow drive. After you do Los Angeles to San Francisco, the section from San Francisco north through the Redwood forests seems interminable. Still worth it at least once.

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
Paved Roads - 2H
Gravel Travel - 4H Auto
Off Roading dunes and deep sand - 4H Part Time
Off Roading rocks, steep inclines, 4X4 Trails - 4L

No snow, ice torrential rain where I live.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
CA-1 gets slides constantly. They are usually pretty good at reopening it. This just wasn't a slide. The highway fell away totally with the ground underneath it. The road was gone. Happened like early winter. I saw it on the news here. Really not sure how they would fix that since the mountainside gave way. I guess they would recut into the mountainside and make a new road.

CA-1 makes for one gorgeous drive. But keep in mind that it makes for a VERY slow drive. Never been to West Coast. Do you mean slow drive as scenery or Speed? After you do Los Angeles to San Francisco, the section from San Francisco north through the Redwood forests seems interminable. That long of a drive. You will always have the ocean on your side still. Still worth it at least once. Yea, one of the retirement bucket list. lol

Sponsored

MILT

First Name
Milt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Honda technician
In the winter here I mostly use 2wd.

if it’s very snowy/icy I’ll use 4H; or for instance merging on a busy road when it’s slick start in 4H and then shift out into 2H when I’m at 20-30mph

i will use 4L in very bad weather 6-8+ in of snow.

when off-roading in the snow I might use 4H in deep snow for more wheel spin vs 4L for low speed crawling obstacles

best thing is to play around and see what works best for your setup

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
CA-1 gets slides constantly. They are usually pretty good at reopening it. This just wasn't a slide. The highway fell away totally with the ground underneath it. The road was gone. Happened like early winter. I saw it on the news here. Really not sure how they would fix that since the mountainside gave way. I guess they would recut into the mountainside and make a new road.
It's such a massive tourist draw, they will do what it takes to keep it open. Looks like it reopened at the end of April. Set some time aside to overnight at least in Monterey on the southern section. Don't just rip through. I was out there for a conference years ago and there had been a similar massive collapse, had to take the inland route down to Monterey. Pretty, but not quite the same. They fixed that one pretty quickly too.

CA-1 makes for one gorgeous drive. But keep in mind that it makes for a VERY slow drive. Never been to West Coast. Do you mean slow drive as scenery or Speed? After you do Los Angeles to San Francisco, the section from San Francisco north through the Redwood forests seems interminable. That long of a drive. You will always have the ocean on your side still. Still worth it at least once. Yea, one of the retirement bucket list. lol
You probably won't be going very fast for long. I've driven LA to SF twice and you always seem to end up behind someone in an RV or that just isn't comfortable driving fast on the curves. Plus, you'll want to stop, a lot. There's all kinds of little beaches and stuff just off the roadside. I haven't continued past SF yet, someday...

Phantasos

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Wrangler 4xe Sahara
Occupation
Software
Yea, DFW is kind of Trail landlocked. Really no public land like elsewhere to see all these photos on here from. Most land in Texas is privately owned. :swear:
May be a bit less landlocked now. A trail park has just opened in Grand Prairie. I went by and chatted with one of the guys out there a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't in my Jeep, so can't speak to quality of trails. It is in floodplain area, and he said it is very wet right now. Looking at their maps, appears to be a couple of water crossings on some trails.

Lone Star Off Road Park

Might be something to try out or keep an eye on.

Edit: Typo

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
How does traction control factor in on all this? I would assume 2H and traction control would be helpful on pavement with wet or light snow on the road?
Glad you brought this up- I was going to say that traction control is a useful tool to be able to turn off occasionally. For example, going through a mud puddle in 4H with traction control off can help you get through it.
Sponsored