Sponsored

When are you using 4H and 4L on your Wrangler?

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Hello there, bonjour.

So life has its ways and my '21 Willys got rear ended before I had the opportunity to drive it during our cold and harsh Quebec winters. So basically, I'm pretty sure I didn't even touch the transfer case lever once before it got wrecked by a semi.

So my question is: when are you using 4H? 4L is pretty self explaining but I wonder on what surface and at which speed you're putting it on 4H.

Opinions seems to differ by the owner. But is it safe to say that are snowy and icy roads, at less than 62MPH, 4H is the way to go? Also, is it safe to switch it from 2H to 4H while you're rolling? (I know you have to stop and put it on neutral to engage 4L)

Thanks for your cues.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I use 4H as soon as I hit the trailhead; 4L when the dirt road gets heavily rutted or steep ā€”either climbing or descending.

In my case, I use 4A the rest of the time, especially in rain or snow, but ONLY on pavement. Selec-Trac 4A does NOT like loose surfaces; the clutch pack overheats unnecessarily. Donā€™t ask how I know.

Jeep Wrangler JL When are you using 4H and 4L on your Wrangler? 1623516270546

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
I use 4H as soon as I hit the trailhead; 4L when the dirt road gets heavily rutted or steep ā€”either up or down.

In my case, I use 4A the rest of the time, especially in rain or snow, but only on pavement. Selec-Trac 4A does NOT like loose surfaces; the clutch pack overheats unnecessarily. Donā€™t ask how I know.
I don't have a Sahara so 4A is not even on my transfer case lever. But yeah, I have a wild guess on what happened. ;)

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Unless it is a really good dirt road or beach, I usually shift into 4H immediately when we leave pavement.
4L for obstacles or any time we are going to be driving slow for a long distance. If a dirt road is too crap for me to be driving any faster than 5-10mph, I'll put it into low. It makes it easier for me to drive smoother on those bouncy bouncy damn rocks and ruts.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I limit myself to 3rd gear in 4H. If I need more than the rear wheels for traction, I donā€™t think I should be doing more than 35 mph. I donā€™t use it in the rain, but sometimes in snow if it is a dirt road. I just deal with the oversteer in 2H when it is wet.
I do stay in 4H when Iā€™m off-road. I donā€™t like slipping and digging ruts just because I ā€œcanā€ get around in 2H.

Sponsored

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
Whenever we get off road I always switch to 4hi, primarily for use of the disconnecting swaybar and it's comfort adding qualities. It would seem as if some have some sort of macho attitude about 4 wheel drive usage because "I didn't even need to take it out of 2wd" is a common phrase that can be heard out here.
When we go to Ouray/Silverton/Telluride we are in 4 low the entire time on the trails. It just controls speed better which is crucial for those steep downhill sections, if you have an auto it keeps your trans temps in check because of not slipping the converter the whole time, if you have a manual it saves your clutch from having to slip the hell out of it in certain situations, saves your brakes when going downhill, keeps loads lower on engine thus keep oil/coolant temps in check, etc. For me it just makes everything less stressful and more easygoing.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
We donā€™t have many true off-road opportunities nearby. The closest off-road park is ~3 hrs away. So I try to shift into 4H whenever we hit a gravel road. Not because I need it but because I want to get some wear on those parts of the driveline. Seems to make shifting in and out of 4H easier with some wear on them.

sorry to hear about your Jeep. Hope everyone was ok.

Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Last winter I needed 4Hi to get out of my garage and down the driveway.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I use 4H as soon as I hit the trailhead; 4L when the dirt road gets heavily rutted or steep ā€”either climbing or descending.

In my case, I use 4A the rest of the time, especially in rain or snow, but ONLY on pavement. Selec-Trac 4A does NOT like loose surfaces; the clutch pack overheats unnecessarily. Donā€™t ask how I know.

Jeep Wrangler JL When are you using 4H and 4L on your Wrangler? 1623516270546
I agree with what Aldo says.

2H & 4A for pavement

4H & 4L for off pavement.

I have Selec track on my JLUS & ordered the full time 4WD option on my new Rubicon.

for winters up in ā€œthe great white northā€ i would highly recommend the Sahara with Selec trac, or the Rubicon with the full time 4WD Rock trac.

just throwing it out there.

if those are not realistic options for you, at least ensure you get the LSD.

I also have the LSD on my Sahara, and will say that it is awesome in slick pavement conditions. I almost never even needed 4A here in Nebraska during the last 2 winters, including the snow.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We donā€™t have many true off-road opportunities nearby. The closest off-road park is ~3 hrs away. So I try to shift into 4H whenever we hit a gravel road. Not because I need it but because I want to get some wear on those parts of the driveline. Seems to make shifting in and out of 4H easier with some wear on them.

sorry to hear about your Jeep. Hope everyone was ok.
Yea, DFW is kind of Trail landlocked. Really no public land like elsewhere to see all these photos on here from. Most land in Texas is privately owned. :swear:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yea, DFW is kind of Trail landlocked. Really no public land like elsewhere to see all these photos on here from. Most land in Texas is privately owned. :swear:
Unfortunately, we have the same issue here in Washington State. Most of the land is owned by the logging companies and the first thing they do is put a big beefy gate at the trail entrance to keep everyone out. It is very disappointing.

I was spoiled in California. I had access to great trails in every direction. Whether the land is owned by the Federal government or the State, public access is usually assured. And the trails range from easy to triple black diamonds, often times accompanied with awesome vistas.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, we have the same issue here in Washington State. Most of the land is owned by the logging companies and the first thing they do is put a big beefy gate at the trail entrance to keep everyone out. It is very disappointing.

I was spoiled in California. I had access to great trails in every direction. Whether the land is owned by the Federal government or the State, public access is usually assured. And the trails range from easy to triple black diamonds, often times accompanied with awesome vistas.
Where are the photos taken off your showcase.
Sponsored