Sponsored

When and Where to use different types of 4x4?

Zucco

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JLU
Hello,

I have recently bought a JLU wrangler coming from a ford mustang I am not sure on when or in what conditions to use 4x4. I have read a lot of things online on how you should never drive on roads in 4wheel drive due to torsion in your drive shafts. I am confused because unless you are loosing traction shouldn't you never be in 4 wheel drive? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sponsored

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
You are pretty much correct, any 4WD 4H or 4L Dry pavement is a no-no. In a straight line no problem it's turning that causes the problem, one wheel needs to slip. 4H, wet, snow covered pavement or dirt roads only. Really same with 4L except speed becomes a factor too! You'll know if your on dry pavement in 4H by the movement of the steering wheel when you make a turn!!

Unless you have a Wrangler that has 4 Full Time, dry pavement is basically a no-no! I'm sure there will be other comments so hold on!

Go Jeep!!!

OP
OP

Zucco

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JLU
You are pretty much correct, any 4WD 4H or 4L Dry pavement is a no-no. In a straight line no problem it's turning that causes the problem, one wheel needs to slip. 4H, wet, snow covered pavement or dirt roads only. Really same with 4L except speed becomes a factor too! You'll know if your on dry pavement in 4H by the movement of the steering wheel when you make a turn!!

Unless you have a Wrangler that has 4 Full Time, dry pavement is basically a no-no! I'm sure there will be other comments so hold on!

Go Jeep!!!
So what if you are on a dirt road or off-road and not loosing traction in 4H would that still cause damage? Should you wait to get stuck before shifting into 4WD?

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Zucco,

Nope, wet or loose traction (dirt road) so even if you are not loosing traction, your OK. If it's decent traction dirt road you might even feel a bit of steering feedback, but as long as there is some slippage on the dirt you'll be good! If you're off road and loose traction it might be too late to choose 4H so you want to be ready! Off road 4H is good most of the time when getting into mud and rock 4L probably should be selected. Really have to read the terrain and make a decision, you'll learn.

Go Jeep!!!

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have nothing of value to add to the comments above.

Besides that Jeep now offers Selec-Trac, which allows you to leave it engaged in Auto 4H, permanently if you want, and let the Jeep take care of things.

Living here in the Pacific Northwest, where driving conditions can change from dry to wet to snow to icy back to dry, all within one mile, Selec-Trac is a godsend.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I agree Selec-Trac is great!!! Now available in Rubicon as it was in Europe!

Go Jeep!!!

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
For me it’s 4L when driving on trails where there’s uneven trails, holes and fallen tree limbs.
If the trail is fairly even or driving a field then 4H.
In winter 4H only when the roads are white. Highway or local.
Every other time 2WD

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,

I have recently bought a JLU wrangler coming from a ford mustang I am not sure on when or in what conditions to use 4x4. I have read a lot of things online on how you should never drive on roads in 4wheel drive due to torsion in your drive shafts. I am confused because unless you are loosing traction shouldn't you never be in 4 wheel drive? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Just stay in 2wd until you lose traction or come up on an obstacle that’s obvious you need 4wd. You’ll figure it out as you go along. 4 wd low is rarely needed unless your rock crawling or descending a steep decline, or climbing steep incline, or lose traction in 4H. Also for obstacles that require finesse rather than speed.
Sponsored

Last edited: