Sponsored

Whelp, it’s back and I’m at wits end

Visible15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Been a few months now since the TSB upgrading my steering box. On the whole was tight and solid.
In the last three days, my slop, bump steer and right drift/pull are back.

It’s so disheartening to think we’re subject to this from now on with a modern vehicle. Just when things seemed good, it reverts back to substandard performance. I’m at a loss and have no clue what to do

2018 JLU Sahara
2” Mopar Lift
Fox ATS steering stabilizer
35” BFG KO2s
TSB completed
Sponsored

Attachments

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
It might not be the steering box this time. These symptoms are often caused by loose or worn components such as tie rod ends and bushings.

If you can get someone to move the steering wheel while you look what is happening on the front end, you might see where the movement is taking place. You don't necessarily have to get after market parts to replace the worn ones.

This video is talking about a more extreme condition than yours but the principles are the same.

You may also find this useful.

And the first 5 minutes of this.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
This is one of my buds. He is the only one that works on my Jeep if I am not doing the work. He is a master at solving Jeep driving issues.

Dr Deathwobble

Watch some of his videos and ask him in the comments about your issues, he will probably point you in the right direction .

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Most vehicles have independent front suspension. Worn ball joints and bushings don't affect the quality of the ride so dramatically.

Wranglers are different. They have one long bar with the wheels attached. Great for off roading. Not so great for street driving.

When all the parts are in good condition and properly tightened, you will get a reasonable ride. When that is not the case, it can get very ugly.

So basically, the technology that makes a Jeep such a great off roader, reduces its appeal as a regular street driver. As a result, more effort than usual is required to get it right for regular street driving.

I hope this information helps to ease your frustration.

Last edited:

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Also, check your steering box bolts. About 5,000 miles after my TSB fix, the vague steering started to come back (or at least I started noticing it again), but this time with some strange shaking. Went underneath and the bolts for the steering box were loose. Re-torquing the bolts made a noticeable difference in my steering.

When I spoke to Jeep during my TSB service, I was told that the (4) bolts need to be replaced and not reused as they are made to stretch. I have new bolts on order (backorder) right now, just to be sure.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Also, check your steering box bolts. About 5,000 miles after my TSB fix, the vague steering started to come back (or at least I started noticing it again), but this time with some strange shaking. Went underneath and the bolts for the steering box were loose. Re-torquing the bolts made a noticeable difference in my steering.

When I spoke to Jeep during my TSB service, I was told that the (4) bolts need to be replaced and not reused as they are made to stretch. I have new bolts on order (backorder) right now, just to be sure.
Yeah, my box was only tightened to the 44 ft lbs, not the additional added degrees to get around 95-100ft lbs :headbang: :no: And they re-used and only half tightened the shaft bolt ( bolt is supposed to ALWAYS be replaced) and left my reservoir cap lying on the side of the motor :( I won't let them touch my Jeep for my Rear Main Seal leak, only imagine what I'll have to re-do on that one!

Good luck @Visible15 hopefully it's an easy remedy.

OP
OP
Visible15

Visible15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Appreciate all your feedback, I suppose I'll start with the "easy" and check the torque of the box bolts first.

Then I'll look to have the tie rod ends/bushings inspected and possibly the ball joints.

Final step is replacing the tie rod and drag link I suppose.

I understand Jeeps are build of off-road etc, it's just frustrating to have to bring this to the dealership so many times for what should not be an issue. I've driven 2019-2021 Jeeps with lifts and non of them have this wander or pull mine does, which is annoying as all can be.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
where did this wind up for you? can we get a follow-up?

curious to hear if you got it all worked out, as while i've not got any Death Wobble, i've been chasing Bump Steer every since i got the Mopar lift and 35s installed.

Appreciate all your feedback, I suppose I'll start with the "easy" and check the torque of the box bolts first.

Then I'll look to have the tie rod ends/bushings inspected and possibly the ball joints.

I understand Jeeps are build of off-road etc, it's just frustrating to have to bring this to the dealership so many times for what should not be an issue. I've driven 2019-2021 Jeeps with lifts and non of them have this wander or pull mine does, which is annoying as all can be.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

Where is your caster? Are you running the factory track bars and steering components? There are so many things that the Mopar lift does not address.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
follow-up to my situation; took out the front Track Bar Relocation Bracket i'd mistakenly thought i needed and my Bump Steer is history.

17K miles now, and it drives perfectly.
Sponsored