Wheels click on sharp/slow turns

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
This could go in the general topic but I figured we hear more things. When I take a sharp turn I hear a double click from the left front when turning left and on the right front when turning right.

Is this normal? With all the reports of loose bolts from the factory It's got me a little concerned. But the clicks don't sound like they are anything going bad.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
This could go in the general topic but I figured we here more things. When I take a sharp turn I hear a double click from the left front when turning left and on the right front when turning right.

Is this normal? With all the reports of loose bolts from the factory It's got me a little concerned. But the clicks don't sound like they are anything going bad.
Mine does the same. I assumed that it was relays/solenoids clicking because the steering seems like it would have to be electric based.

FirstF80InSpace

First Name
F80
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche 911 C4S / 2021 JLUR 4xe
Mine does the same. I had it in for a DRL recall and I asked the service tech to also check to see if anything was loose down there. He said everything was tight. Guess it’s a Jeep thing.

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Rubicon XR
Heard mine do it yesterday for the first time (1,200 miles on ODO). Will keep an ear out for it again, but I assume normal. Stock rubicon.

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Mine does the same. I assumed that it was relays/solenoids clicking because the steering seems like it would have to be electric based.
That's exactly what it sounds like.

I've read of other people bring JLs to the dealer with what sounds like the same description and wind up getting all kinds of crazy stuff replaced. That's actually what got me to worrying. Before that I just thought it was some kind of relay or switching going on.

Sponsored

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Mine does the same. I had it in for a DRL recall and I asked the service tech to also check to see if anything was loose down there. He said everything was tight. Guess it’s a Jeep thing.
There was a DRL recall for Canada?

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I was one of the original members to have the clicking issue and numerous other members had the same thing.

If yours is the same issue as ours it was the ball joint torque values being way under torqued. My dealer couldn't figure it out until I had them check there and boom it was done 3 minutes later.

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Was it a click-click sound as you neared a sharp 45 degree turn? Such as a parking space.

Is this something that can be diy checked and is it serious? I'm going out on a road trip next week.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Was it a click-click sound as you neared a sharp 45 degree turn? Such as a parking space.

Is this something that can be diy checked and is it serious? I'm going out on a road trip next week.
Yes, a very metallic clicking and only at slow, sharp turns. I had a video of it but lost it since it was when I got this one over 3 years ago.

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Yea this ball joint torque issue is not engine/drivetrain specific.