Wheeling with (big) dogs

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
My 55lbs border collie, Loki, loved coming on trips with me in the Jeep. But after we did one trail that suddenly got unexpectedly intense, he got a bit freaked out (which is totally fair, I was a little white knuckled on that one too, lol). He was getting older by then, as well. As he aged, he got a little more nervous and less bold than he was in his younger days. So even a dog who is cool with heavy trails at one time may eventually grow not to like them.

Afterwards I kept to gentler trails and camping trips (which he LOVED) when he was aboard.

Sadly, he passed away about a month or so ago, but he was my trail companion and best buddy for many years.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wheeling with (big) dogs 6893170108_06976773cc_4k
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Cute little guy, Min Pin?
Thanks! I picked him up in Korea, they said he's a Min Pin and he's got papers (in Hangul) but he's quite small for a normal Min Pin, only about 11 lbs. So I think, and if you ever tell him I said this I will flat out deny it, that he may be crossbred with a Chihuahua. Either that or his line was bred to be small, small dogs are very popular over there, it's an high rise apartment culture for the most part. Either way this little dude is probably my favorite dog I've ever owned and I've had Shepards, Berneses, labs, pointers. He's very well behaved, intelligent, curious and comedic (this dog makes me laugh every day, no matter how bad of a day it is). I crate trained him from day one, he knows what's his and doesn't mess with anything else, has only had two accidents in the house in 14 years (sick). The only negative is that this dog won't poop in his own yard, nuh uh not gonna do it, so I've had to walk him 2-3 times a day (and pick up his turds) for 14 years no matter what. I'm ok with it but sometimes its tough when the weather is bad or I don't feel well myself. Sorry, starting to ramble but he's my little buddy and i'm always up to talk about him. So, if he asks here's what I said...
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheeling with (big) dogs output001

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the big dogs thread.

Reactions: apb

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
2 x 65lbs Pitbull mixes 1 trip on moderate trails and they wouldn't come near the Jeep for a month :LOL:. at one point I had 1 of them in my lap as I was attempting an obstacle and before anyone pipes in, the obstacle wasn't difficult and there was no risk to dog, myself or rig. I won't take them on trail runs ever again, because even moderate trails can turn bad in different weather conditions.

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! I picked him up in Korea, they said he's a Min Pin and he's got papers (in Hangul) but he's quite small for a normal Min Pin, only about 11 lbs. So I think, and if you ever tell him I said this I will flat out deny it, that he may be crossbred with a Chihuahua. Either that or his line was bred to be small, small dogs are very popular over there, it's an high rise apartment culture for the most part. Either way this little dude is probably my favorite dog I've ever owned and I've had Shepards, Berneses, labs, pointers. He's very well behaved, intelligent, curious and comedic (this dog makes me laugh every day, no matter how bad of a day it is). I crate trained him from day one, he knows what's his and doesn't mess with anything else, has only had two accidents in the house in 14 years (sick). The only negative is that this dog won't poop in his own yard, nuh uh not gonna do it, so I've had to walk him 2-3 times a day (and pick up his turds) for 14 years no matter what. I'm ok with it but sometimes its tough when the weather is bad or I don't feel well myself. Sorry, starting to ramble but he's my little buddy and i'm always up to talk about him. So, if he asks here's what I said...

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the big dogs thread.
Haha, won't poop in his own yard definitely made me laugh. That's got to be frustrating at times. Loved hearing about the pooch though, thanks for sharing. I guess we shouldn't derail the thread any longer... 🐶

TheKeither

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Willy's Sport
Nice! My Neapolitan Mastiff hates riding anywhere in any vehicle. We just brought home an English Mastiff (Brindle, just like yours) in February that doesn't seem to mind riding in the Jeep.
Haha. Ours was that size last year. Its sooooo crazy to watch them grow...OVERNIGHT! He was a bit afraid of the jeep at first, but once we got going, he was so happy he refused to get out!

Sponsored

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
My big guy got his first ride with the top off. He was a bit afraid of the Jeep at first....now when he sees it, he gets excited!
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheeling with (big) dogs PXL_20210420_154518505.MP
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheeling with (big) dogs PXL_20210420_154518505.MP
he's such a stud!
Q: where's all the drool!?!? :CWL:

NMPirate

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old go-cart from 1973
Occupation
King Shit of Turd Island
Tiny Jeep dogs are awesome! I used to hate small dogs until I realized alot of them behave poorly because they were never trained the right way. Trained this little dude just like the many big dogs I have owned in the past.
20190608_143334.jpg
20190710_142030.jpg
20190401_084928.jpg
So is that a Doberman-Chihuahua mix? I just got a red Doberman puppy a few weeks ago. I can't wait until he gets bigger an I get the Jeep!

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
So is that a Doberman-Chihuahua mix? I just got a red Doberman puppy a few weeks ago. I can't wait until he gets bigger an I get the Jeep!
He's supposed to be a min-pin which is a different breed than either a Chihuahua or Doberman, but I have my suspicions. One thing is for sure, after 14 years he isn't getting any bigger, I haven't tried the inflation valve at the back though. I always thought it would be cool to get a full size Doberman and teach him to run around on its back barking at stuff as it walked around. Enjoy your new Jeep and pup!

Sponsored

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
My dogs, dogs I trained, have made felony arrests, taken part in S&Rs and saved lives. My dogs go with me or the wife whenever humanly possible.

BTW, dog threads are always interesting.. "Dogs Stories from the Trial" 🤔

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
found something for all of us with big dogs: rear door covers for your JLU or JT. just ordered mine. Will post when I receive them. I ordered those that also protect the handles.

www.thinskinz.com

NMPirate

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old go-cart from 1973
Occupation
King Shit of Turd Island
found something for all of us with big dogs: rear door covers for your JLU or JT. just ordered mine. Will post when I receive them. I ordered those that also protect the handles.

www.thinskinz.com

Now that's a good way to save the door panels! Can't wait to hear how well they stay on. Thanks for the tip!