Sponsored

Wheeling on the Beach in Long Island for the first time. Need tips from experts to prevent over heating.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
With my Jeep at the beach as we speak. I’m aired down (I think 15/16 all around) and 4 high. Have encountered zero issues the past few days, and we have 4 adults and a packed cargo area.

I do have a stick, so I just pick a gear (2nd typically) and let it ride.

Only bad thing: my Viair 88p shit itself on the first day, so I’m beholden to air stations.

Good luck!
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheeling on the Beach in Long Island for the first time. Need tips from experts to prevent over heating. 7A12F4B8-BBB9-4F4A-B854-7FEB9EDBDC32
Sponsored

OP
OP
Punjabi New Yorker

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
With my Jeep at the beach as we speak. I’m aired down (I think 15/16 all around) and 4 high. Have encountered zero issues the past few days, and we have 4 adults and a packed cargo area.

I do have a stick, so I just pick a gear (2nd typically) and let it ride.

Only bad thing: my Viair 88p shit itself on the first day, so I’m beholden to air stations.

Good luck!
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheeling on the Beach in Long Island for the first time. Need tips from experts to prevent over heating. 7A12F4B8-BBB9-4F4A-B854-7FEB9EDBDC32
My Viar 450P Auto has been a champ so far. It is rather pricey but has a very long life

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
In short? Yes. You'll be fine. Everything you've outlined here is perfectly fine and within the normal range of operation for the Jeep. 4 Low, 15spi or lower, you should be fine.

Hell, I just got back from a trip to Rausch Creek with my JLUR. 70mph on the highway for 4.5 hours, then crawling all day in 4 low at the park with no break between in 90 degree heat with a bunch of camp gear and my top/doors. There were guys in JLUR's more loaded down than I was in my group. No issues whatsoever.

Just make sure that if you start to bog down and your tires start to dig, you let some air out of them. I had this issue in Cape Cod with my little 04 Rubi a few years back. I had to get down to 5psi before I was able to float over the sand properly.
Where did you go in Cape Cod to go wheeling?

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Viar 450P Auto has been a champ so far. It is rather pricey but has a very long life
I'm a tad gun shy with the Viair brand at the moment, but that seems to be the model to get. I guess I got what I paid for with the 88p.

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Where did you go in Cape Cod to go wheeling?
Race Point Beach National Seashore. Love that place. There are a few other beaches but they're run by the towns they're in an the permits are more expensive and more restrictive.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
4lo vs 4hi totally depends on the sand. just generally saying one way or the other is bad advice.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4lo vs 4hi totally depends on the sand. just generally saying one way or the other is bad advice.
The problem with anything is you have to start somewhere and unless you’ve walked the path/area/trail, the best you could do is an educated guess. I start with 4hi and go from there. I don’t think that’s the wrong approach, at least it hasn’t been in my experience. I start with 4hi in sand because sand driving is all about momentum, and I find 4hi to be the better option with that most of the time.

Obviously, it won’t be the perfect solution for every situation. But for sand, I think it’s the best solution for my own personal experiences.
Sponsored