Wheeling on Spacer lift

JeepRubiCan

First Name
Case
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Thoughts on general to moderate wheeling with a spacer lift? Im getting too anxious waiting for RK. Based on the current capabilities of the stock JL suspension, is it even necessary to do a full lift?

Or would spacers, control arms, and a track bar suffice?

Thoughts ? Running 37s no lift currently and do light to moderate wheeling in CO.
Sponsored

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Pics of the 37's with no lift please. Did you use the stock wheels

Pressurized

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
The stock JL actually has great articulation. It scores the same as many "common" 2.5" lift kits on Jk's do on the CTI trailer. That's pretty stout!

If you lift with a spacer lift that has all the components, bump stops and shock extensions, you should maintain that flex and also now have clearance for bigger tires. So even without adding new longer shocks on the JL, it will wheel as good as a JK with a nice full 2.5" lift kit.

The JL also has much better traction capabilities... Barlow did a little video showing the JL's vast improvement in traction over the JK's. I'll see if I can find it.

OP
OP
JeepRubiCan

JeepRubiCan

First Name
Case
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Last edited:
OP
OP
JeepRubiCan

JeepRubiCan

First Name
Case
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
The stock JL actually has great articulation. It scores the same as many "common" 2.5" lift kits on Jk's do on the CTI trailer. That's pretty stout!

If you lift with a spacer lift that has all the components, bump stops and shock extensions, you should maintain that flex and also now have clearance for bigger tires. So even without adding new longer shocks on the JL, it will wheel as good as a JK with a nice full 2.5" lift kit.

The JL also has much better traction capabilities... Barlow did a little video showing the JL's vast improvement in traction over the JK's. I'll see if I can find it.

I agree with you.Any big negatives wheeling with spacers other than your friends giving you the stink eye? haha Also saving about 6-700 bucks doesn't hurt. Considering it. Could go spacer until RK ships I suppose

Sponsored

Pressurized

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with you.Any big negatives wheeling with spacers other than your friends giving you the stink eye? haha Also saving about 6-700 bucks doesn't hurt. Considering it. Could go spacer until RK ships I suppose
No real downside to wheeling with a spacer lift on a JL. The negative on them for the JL is that you are still on stock spring rates and when you armor up the Jeep with bumpers, skids, tire carrier and winch, those stock springs are not going to support the weight very well.

You basically had the same problem with the JK's, but worse with the JK's is the lack of articulation with the stock shocks. But that's not a problem with the JL.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Thoughts on general to moderate wheeling with a spacer lift? Im getting too anxious waiting for RK. Based on the current capabilities of the stock JL suspension, is it even necessary to do a full lift?
Or would spacers, control arms, and a track bar suffice?
Thoughts ? Running 37s no lift currently and do light to moderate wheeling in CO.
With 37s to do any moderate wheeling you will need some form of lift - in looking at your picture you don’t have much if any upward travel - looks pretty stuffed. For moderate I would install at least a 2.5” suspension lift to your liking that way you wouldn’t have to modify the driveline.

OP
OP
JeepRubiCan

JeepRubiCan

First Name
Case
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
With 37s to do any moderate wheeling you will need some form of lift - in looking at your picture you don’t have much if any upward travel - looks pretty stuffed. For moderate I would install at least a 2.5” suspension lift to your liking that way you wouldn’t have to modify the driveline.
You are correct. It is very stuffed and I will not be wheeling as it sits. Just don't want to wait 2-3 more months for Rock Krawler to launch. First world problems. The struggle is real. I guess all in all if the Rubi is more than capable with spacers I may give it a go.

SwrvnMrvin

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2015 Jeep Renegade Lattitude
Not trying to derail this thread but what lift is everyone waiting for from RK? I just ordered a 2.5 Stock Mod kit and some Evo shock extensions (I'll use them until RK comes out with shocks) and stuff has already shipped. In fact, there's a few boxes at my house right now waiting for me to get off of work and more arriving tomorrow.

OP
OP
JeepRubiCan

JeepRubiCan

First Name
Case
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Bet it’s not RK... heard there was a delay in shipping. Waiting on the flex

Sponsored

SwrvnMrvin

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bet it’s not RK... heard there was a delay in shipping. Waiting on the flex
My wife is at home looking at some boxes that say Rock Krawler on it so I'm pretty sure it is RK. Hopefully it's the right stuff. Invoice and everything is for a JL 2.5 Stock Mod kit and Evo extensions. I guess I'll find out when I get home.

OP
OP
JeepRubiCan

JeepRubiCan

First Name
Case
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Send pics or it didn’t happen haha. Hope they are bud!

SwrvnMrvin

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Send pics or it didn’t happen haha. Hope they are bud!
I'm thinking everyone is waiting for control arms with the other kits. The Stock Mod is super basic with basically springs and track bar. I still need to buy bump stops. Figured I'd get arms when money allows. I'll take pics once I'm home. Where were you planning on ordering your RK kit from?

OP
OP
JeepRubiCan

JeepRubiCan

First Name
Case
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I pre-ordered with RiverCity Offroad. Marcus is a great guy to deal with BTW!!

SwrvnMrvin

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I pre-ordered with RiverCity Offroad. Marcus is a great guy to deal with BTW!!
Oh yeah I've ordered from RCO many times when I had a JK. I mainly used RCO and Northridge. I got my RK lift for the JL from Northridge. Well I received front springs and Evo extensions so far. More packages on the way! Everything is right so far. Part numbers for the springs are correct with what's in the kit.

20180502_171729.jpg
Sponsored