Sponsored

Wheel/Tire Combination on the JLU Sport S?

lsmaverick

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
We are looking to upgrade the wheels/tires on our JLU Sport S. Currently, we're using the stock combination (with the Goodyear A/Ts), but we're looking to go to Mud Terrains and 33's. Browsing this forum, it looks like Discount Tire Direct is among the best options for decently priced wheels and tires.

We narrowed down our search to a specific combination, but try as we might, we're having issues understanding some of the specs. Specifically, we are looking to get this combo:

1) BF Goodrich M/T KM2 LT255/80 R17: https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/bfgoodrich-mud-terrain-t-a-km2/p/38005

2) American Outlaw Lonestar 17x8.5: https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-wheels/american-outlaw-lonestar/p/53096

My main question is whether this combination will cause the tire to stick out past the fender on the stock JLU Sport and, if so, to what extent? Conversely, would the wider tire cause rubbing issues against axle?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Fast forward to 0:52 in this video to see them. This is with 285/75 tires. The ones you're looking at are the same height but slightly narrower than these. I would recommend a 285 width minimum for these 8.5" wide wheels.

OP
OP
lsmaverick

lsmaverick

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Fast forward to 0:52 in this video to see them. This is with 285/75 tires. The ones you're looking at are the same height but slightly narrower than these. I would recommend a 285 width minimum for these 8.5" wide wheels.

Thanks so much for this, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Jeepneck

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepnecks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
Occupation
Real Estate Professional
Vehicle Showcase
I see in your profile you have a 2.5" lift. You think this size tire would work on stock Sport S? It's a daily driver, but we'll probably put a 2.5" lift on later. Has your lift changed the handling much? I'm looking at this wheel at Discount Tire and possibly powder coating lime green.

wheel_black rhino-warlord_dark-grey_matte.png

Wheel-starwood-motors-project-green-shadow.jpg

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I see in your profile you have a 2.5" lift. You think this size tire would work on stock Sport S? It's a daily driver, but we'll probably put a 2.5" lift on later. Has your lift changed the handling much? I'm looking at this wheel at Discount Tire and possibly powder coating lime green.

A 285/70-17 will fit a Sport perfectly, as it is only 0.25" taller than the stock tires when mounted on the Jeep. I have measured my 245/75 Bridgestone Dueler HT stock tires against the 285/70 BFG KO2 Rubicon tires and there is very minimal difference. So, no issues there at all.

A 285/75-17 measures out a full 33.0" while mounted on the Jeep, so at that point you're getting pretty tight on stock suspension. You can do it, if you don't go offroad and flex the Jeep out, but it's tight. A 2" lift is recommended to get back that clearance you need at the inner fender liners.

Regardless of what any company tells you, your ride and handling WILL be affected with a lift kit. That doesn't mean it'll be bad. But it will be different. How much different depends on how high you lift. I did 2.5" front/2.0" rear (which is how the RC lift kit comes) and the slight geometry change in my track bars and control arms did stiffen the ride up just a tad. But, the most noticeable change is the yawl the vehicle now has. Any dips in the road, curves, etc. cause the Jeep to toss side to side a little more harshly and it is definitely noticeable. It's something you have to get used to. Later down the road, I plan to install track bar and control arm relocation brackets to correct the geometry and get most of my ride quality back.
Sponsored