Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Sahara with a 2" spacer lift and Rubi rims/tires. My wife wants fatter tires so they stick out past the fenders a little. I said "well that is going to take another 40,000 more miles but you could get spacers".
So the questions are...
- What are the best spacers?
- What is the safest size to go with?
- Does this strain the axle or hub?
- Do I use locktite when installing (I've heard it both ways).
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
JMHO... I never liked the idea of spacers, from my understanding into looking at them when I did my lift and tires you have to occasionally check and torque the spacer nuts but not sure that’s correct for all of them and then I spoke to a few guys like @TTEChris and some guys I know and discount tire and all of them suggested I sell my Sahara wheels and just get wheels with a negative offset to push them out further so I don’t have to deal with spacers so I did just that and went to a 17” -12 offset wheel and sold my complete Sahara setup and so far have had no issues

silverbullet

First Name
Keaton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 JLU Rubi
Spidertrax, Synergy, Teraflex, G2 are all brands to live by with regard to spacers. 1.5" hub-centric is the industry standard.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Spidertrax, Synergy, Teraflex, G2 are all brands to live by with regard to spacers. 1.5" hub-centric is the industry standard.
As noted by the other poster regarding offset rims, is there a disadvantage to spacing instead?

Sponsored

Icepak

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
As noted by the other poster regarding offset rims, is there a disadvantage to spacing instead?
Everything I’ve learned about the differences come down to preference and price. Obviously it’s cheaper to go with spacers versus replacing all the rims. I’m considering spacers as I just got some Rubicon wheels for my Sahara as well.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Spidertrax and Synergy are the top tier brands. Either will be fine. Spidertrax comes in 1.75 and Synergy in 1 5/8.

Install tips:

1. Remove rotor retainer rings
2. Use provided loctite
3. Use hand tools/torque wrench

Bob502000

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I decided to spend some money on a bumper and winch and just put spacers on for now. E-bay one and a half inch spacer for 109.00 bucks. The studs stick threw about an eighth of an inch but this style of wheel has cut outs on the mounting surface for that. Looks better than the stock setup and some 315s would be better. I'm not one to get rid of a new set of expensive tires.

View attachment 125648

jeep4.JPG

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I decided to spend some money on a bumper and winch and just put spacers on for now. E-bay one and a half inch spacer for 109.00 bucks. The studs stick threw about an eighth of an inch but this style of wheel has cut outs on the mounting surface for that. Looks better than the stock setup and some 315s would be better. I'm not one to get rid of a new set of expensive tires.

View attachment 125648
Few questions:
Are the Rubi fenders wider than the Sahara's?
Could you measure the width of the fender from the hood/metal fender to the outer edge of the plastic for me?
Could you take a pic from the position above but squat down so I can get a better visual?
I'm trying to see how far off these will stick and look. I can take a block of 1.75" wood and see as well but if you could help I'd appreciate it.

Bob502000

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Few questions:
Could you measure the width of the fender from the hood/metal fender to the outer edge of the plastic for me?
Could you take a pic from the position above but squat down so I can get a better visual?
I'm trying to see how far off these will stick and look. I can take a block of 1.75" wood and see as well but if you could help I'd appreciate it.
I got to go to work but the rubicons fenders are mounted about two inches higher than the other models, also I think they have wider dana 60 axels of about three quarters of an inch per side.

Sponsored

Bob502000

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Few questions:
You have to be very careful with spacers as well. When I got mine the first thing I did was stick it on to make sure the lugs aren't sticking threw the spacer. Mine where sticking threw about an eighth of an inch so I started to send it back but looked at the wheel and THIS style has cut outs between the lug holes that are about a quarter of an inch deep, so I went ahead and mounted them. I think the one and five eighths spacer that people have talked about would be a better choice.

Bob502000

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Few questions:
You want plenty of turns on the lug nuts as well, mine where 14 turns which is plenty.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Spidertrax is the right answer. Only spacers I have ever run on my Jeeps. Don’t go to ebay or cheap out on spacers you will regret it. 285/75/17 Ridge Grapplers

CFC2127E-B78E-4D10-92C7-203C32E851B7.jpeg

F57DC825-345E-4FF1-A6E8-BAA89DD8D98C.jpeg

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I got to go to work but the rubicons fenders are mounted about two inches higher than the other models, also I think they have wider dana 60 axels of about three quarters of an inch per side.
Dana 40s. If you think the Rubi was expensive the way it is it would be considerably higher with Dana 60s from the factory :)

Bob502000

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Dana 40s. If you think the Rubi was expensive the way it is it would be considerably higher with Dana 60s from the factory :)
Dana 44 is what I have and I think they are three quarters of an inch wider per side.
Sponsored