Sponsored

Wheel spacers required with Mopar lift on JL Rubicon?

coloshoveler

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 4runner, 2007 corvette
I scheduled a Mopar lift to be installed on my 2019 2DR Rubicon at the local Jeep dealer yesterday. On arrival for the appointment, the service writer informed me that the lift install using stock Rubicon wheels and tires requires spacers ($400) to be stable and she did not want me to have an unstable vehicle after the lift installation. I was surprised as there was no mentioned of this when the lift install price was quoted a few days earlier. I declined the lift installation due to the significant price increase. Later looking for information, I can find no reference to this spacer being needed but it does seem that most Mopar lifts are installed with new over-sized wheels and tires. Has any one heard of this need for a spacer on a Mopar lift when using stock Rubicon Wheels and tires? Anyone with a Mopar lift running Stock Rubicon Wheels/tires with no spacers? Thanks for any insight.
Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
I scheduled a Mopar lift to be installed on my 2019 2DR Rubicon at the local Jeep dealer yesterday. On arrival for the appointment, the service writer informed me that the lift install using stock Rubicon wheels and tires requires spacers ($400) to be stable and she did not want me to have an unstable vehicle after the lift installation. I was surprised as there was no mentioned of this when the lift install price was quoted a few days earlier. I declined the lift installation due to the significant price increase. Later looking for information, I can find no reference to this spacer being needed but it does seem that most Mopar lifts are installed with new over-sized wheels and tires. Has any one heard of this need for a spacer on a Mopar lift when using stock Rubicon Wheels and tires? Anyone with a Mopar lift running Stock Rubicon Wheels/tires with no spacers? Thanks for any insight.
No. Not needed. What dealer, Perkins? Also, you can run 35" tires without a lift so you might just consider that instead of a lift if you're going to keep your stock wheels.

Mopar lift on stock wheels and tires. No spacers.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel spacers required with Mopar lift on JL Rubicon? IMG_2983

Storminā€™ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Thatā€™s BS

OP
OP
coloshoveler

coloshoveler

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for your insights. The dealer involved is the Faricy Boys, I had issues in the past with Perkins Jeep doing an oil change and tire rotation and won't be back there. Faricy did my clutch recall and it was done properly, so based on that I chose them for the lift install. The lift install has been re-scheduled for next week. After that is done and sorted I will upgrade the wheels and tires but am struggling on the 35" vs. 37" decision.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Thanks for your insights. The dealer involved is the Faricy Boys, I had issues in the past with Perkins Jeep doing an oil change and tire rotation and won't be back there. Faricy did my clutch recall and it was done properly, so based on that I chose them for the lift install. The lift install has been re-scheduled for next week. After that is done and sorted I will upgrade the wheels and tires but am struggling on the 35" vs. 37" decision.
Is it a daily driver? If so, I say 35ā€™s. If itā€™s a weekend warrior, 37ā€™s.

Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Perhaps this will help.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If youā€™re going to 37s, and plan to use them for off-road, then you ā€œshouldā€ think about new wheels. Spacers are not a long term solution but do work in a ā€œpennyā€ pinch. As long as your transmission is calibrated for the larger tires, tazer or dealer calibrated, youā€™re good either way between 35s or 37s. Iā€™m running 37s with a Tazer and it drives and shifts fine. I see 8th and get 20+MPG on the freeway.

5B8C49AD-8F22-40A7-A194-B14FC28935A2.jpeg

HappyJeeper

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '09 Tundra 5.7 4x4, '21 Prius
Occupation
Soils engineering/geology
I'm running 37s with stock wheels and no spacers. I wanted that rubber to stay stuffed up under the fenders.

IMG_1567.jpeg

IMG_1673.jpeg

OP
OP
coloshoveler

coloshoveler

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many thanks to all for the excellent info, clearly the service writer at the dealer is wrong on the need for backspacing on stock wheels with the Mopar lift.
New wheels and tires are definitely in my near future. I am leaning towards 37's with my only concern being the loss of 4LO, 1st gear (manual transmission) performance which is so good in stock trim.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many thanks to all for the excellent info, clearly the service writer at the dealer is wrong on the need for backspacing on stock wheels with the Mopar lift.
New wheels and tires are definitely in my near future. I am leaning towards 37's with my only concern being the loss of 4LO, 1st gear (manual transmission) performance which is so good in stock trim.
No loss. If anything itā€™ll get better. Iā€™ve a 6-spd 2DR JLR and 8-SPD auto with 37s. The JLR 6-SPD has a lower crawl ratio than the auto so youā€™re good. The auto hasnā€™t let me down anywhere itā€™s been.

AA45E31A-37A3-4C08-BA3E-17E63D1225A1.jpeg
Sponsored