Sponsored

Wheel offsets driving me nuts. I need some expert advise.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Hi folks, I can look at all the tire size/offset calculator pictures online, but they still don't answer my question. I've narrowed down 2 wheels, one 17x8 +30 and the other 17x9 +20. The tire size will be 285/70R17's. Which one, or will both keep the treads of the tire under the fender? It's OK if the sidewall protrudes a bit, but I would like the treads to stay under. Any help will appreciated. Pictures, if possible, would be even more appreciated. I'm a simple man, and as they say pictures speak louder than....well, you know the rest. :)

Jim
Sponsored

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
The first setup (17x8 + 30 and 285/70/17) will be inset approximately .5” from the edge of the fender.
The second setup 17x9 + 20 and 285/70/17) will extend approximately .5” past the fender.
I used your provided wheel and tire sizes and compared them to mine for the approximate measurements. I will try to find you some pics.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Do you plan to lift or do four wheeling where you'll be flexing the suspension quite a bit? If so having the tire a bit more outside the fender would work better. If you don't plan to run tires bigger than those 285/70s both wheels will work pretty well as far as mounting that tire size. I think I'd lean to the 9" +20s to give me a bit more options in tires if I were to go wider down the road.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
The first setup (17x8 + 30 and 285/70/17) will be inset approximately .5” from the edge of the fender.
The second setup 17x9 + 20 and 285/70/17) will extend approximately .5” past the fender.
I used your provided wheel and tire sizes and compared them to mine for the approximate measurements. I will try to find you some pics.
Those two setups will be 0.4" different from each other. The wheel width really doesn't matter as 285 tires are wider than both of them. Only the offset matters.

OP - with my 285/70 K02's on a sport and -6 offset wheels, the portion of the tread that runs parallel (touches) to the road sticks out 1", and the sidewall bubble/side tread adds about another 1" for 2" total. Your +20MM rim should bring the tread pretty flush and with the outermost sticking out about 1". The +30MM should bring everything in another .4"?

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks guys, my minimal off roading experience keeps me pretty much on easy trails, and back roads. So, I won't need a lift. I decided I wanted to change the looks of my "Mall Crawler" Edition, and the wife agreed. Growing up we had like a dozen different wheels to choose from, and maybe a half dozen tire manufactueres. There's so many now it took awhile to make a decision. :)

Once again I appreciate the help. Looks like the 30 offset will do the job.

@Hucke_250 I would love to see some pictures if you get a chance. Thank you for the offer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
Thanks guys, my minimal off roading experience keeps me pretty much on easy trails, and back roads. So, I won't need a lift. I decided I wanted to change the looks of my "Mall Crawler" Edition, and the wife agreed. Growing up we had like a dozen different wheels to choose from, and maybe a half dozen tire manufactueres. There's so many now it took awhile to make a decision. :)

Once again I appreciate the help. Looks like the 30 offset will do the job.

@Hucke_250 I would love to see some pictures if you get a chance. Thank you for the offer.
Unfortunately this is the best I can do for now. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-s-with-285-70-17-tires-on-stock-wheels.3924/
They are stock wheels 17x7.5 +44 with 285/70/17 tires. A 17x8+30 will stick out an extra 3/4 of an inch further than those posted in the thread.

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase