simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Alright - JL Rubicon.

Stock 33" tires. 17" x 8.5" wheel. What would be a reasonable offset/backspace to make them protrude a bit more over stock?

I remember seeing the stock backspacing spec for the original wheels somewhere but I cannot find it now.
Sponsored

brantb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ram 1500, charger daytona 392
Alright - JL Rubicon.

Stock 33" tires. 17" x 8.5" wheel. What would be a reasonable offset/backspace to make them protrude a bit more over stock?

I remember seeing the stock backspacing spec for the original wheels somewhere but I cannot find it now.
If i recall right it was 44.45mm, so 1.75 inches. On a 7.5 wheel that would most likely be 5.5 inches of backspacing, I doubt they would go the other way.

To answer, you would want less then 44.45. How much i dont know, but on a 8.5 if you got 0 that would put you at 4.25.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Itā€™s 6 or 6.5 is what I did when researching. Anything less than that number they will protrude.
Meyers distributing has thereā€™s on instagram with 4.5 and it sticks out quite a bit.
Make sure to check your state laws. I have to stick with stock backspacing because mine cannot stock past fender in Maine. So I did a lot of researching on this.

merilm

First Name
Meril
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 FJ Cruiser (sold), 2018 White JLU Sahara ordered, 2013 HD Softtail Deluxe w/ a little extra chrome.
Occupation
semi-retired
Alright - JL Rubicon.

I had been using the rimsntires.com to try and figure-out what I am planning for my soon to arrive Sahara, but came across this online fitter which actually overlay's how the original vs. new tire size looks/protrudes with varying offset, etc. in a more clear visual fashion : tiresize.com.

Sponsored

OP
OP
simpleJL

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I ended up going 17x9 with a -12mm offset. Comes out to 4.5" backspace.

Should be nice

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Itā€™s 6 or 6.5 is what I did when researching. Anything less than that number they will protrude.
Meyers distributing has thereā€™s on instagram with 4.5 and it sticks out quite a bit.
Make sure to check your state laws. I have to stick with stock backspacing because mine cannot stock past fender in Maine. So I did a lot of researching on this.
Is this for stopping getting pulled over, or for a state inspection?

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Is this for stopping getting pulled over, or for a state inspection?
Both, local 4x4 shops said if pulled over they will pull your inspection sticker and make you get re-inspected which at that point you won't get sticker either. I live in Kennebunk, average age is like 55, not that it is a bad thing, but people up here do not seem very friendly towards large vehicles.

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Both, local 4x4 shops said if pulled over they will pull your inspection sticker and make you get re-inspected which at that point you won't get sticker either. I live in Kennebunk, average age is like 55, not that it is a bad thing, but people up here do not seem very friendly towards large vehicles.
You need a magical fender that extends when the cops come by,

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
You need a magical fender that extends when the cops come by,
I'm over it, I was pissed at first. Honestly the stock wheels look great for now and free up some money I was ready to drop on methods with OMF rings for a nice bumper and winch...

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Yikes. That is strict.
Sponsored