Sponsored

Wheel Locks for JL (Especially the Spare)?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Been using a torque wrench a lot longer than you, skippy.
Yup, could be. I'm only 70. Maybe you are older ........... and just to old to do it right, now. ;)

Anyway, been using the Gorrilla's for a few years and if you keep them away from an impact gun and don't get crazy with them, they do not do as you mentioned. Sure they could, but I have never had this happen.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I have some and just threw them away after looking into them more. They seem like more trouble than they're worth. Wait till you're on the side of the highway with a flat tire and the locking lug nut fails (or you can't find the key or the key fails).
Unless you're consistently parking in a high crime area, I'd avoid them. Even then, they are so easy to defeat they're probably not worth it. Just the conclusion I came to, YMMV, etc.

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
I'm looking for a 5 PC set also. I've seen some videos showing the Mopar ones are easy to defeat. They are tall enough that you can grab them with a pair of channel locks and remove them. Thinking about getting the Gorilla 5 PC set. They have good reviews.

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all junk. Torqued by hand to specs, three of mine cracked longitudinally and the nipples broke off on the other two. Oh, and they were made in America by the same company that supplies them to Mopar.
Sounds like the ones you tried were to short for the studs.

Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered these last night. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...ucFyJMEq1zcy6ONFbsLNtHw7ugwlfBUxoC-twQAvD_BwE
All 23 are keyed so they should slow a thief down. I ordered black because I think they will look good with the Rubicon wheela.
@Greg H

Yes, slows the nitwit down and will make the frucker work harder...

24 in that set. They do look very good on the stock JL wheel. For that reason alone, they would be worth buying.

Consider using the extra lugs in the system to add an additional two lugs to the spare .... ya know the two empties presently on the spare. Can tell you the additional two lugs on the spare will dress it up so to speak.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Greg H

Be sure when you open the Gorilla System box to be on the lookout so to speak for a little piece of paper with the wheel lock code #. You will need this to get a spare or a replacement wheel lock key from gorilla. You lose the paper and yoy lose the key itself and you will be scrambling lets say.

Something like this is a positive thing to buy/use. I have one. Costs little/ $3.52+-, cutesy and might keep you from losing/misplacing the key.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COMXCM/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51Y8wp0anyL.jpg

Sponsored

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Greg H

Be sure when you open the Gorilla System box to be on the lookout so to speak for a little piece of paper with the wheel lock code #. You will need this to get a spare or a replacement wheel lock key from gorilla. You lose the paper and yoy lose the key itself and you will be scrambling lets say.

Something like this is a positive thing to buy/use. I have one. Costs little/ $3.52+-, cutesy and might keep you from losing/misplacing the key.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COMXCM/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51Y8wp0anyL.jpg
I ordered that bag from Summit Racing with the locks. It was a dollar more than Amazon. But Amazon required a $25 minimum purchase with it. It was free shipping on the locks and bag from Summit Racing.

Thanks for the advice.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Greg H

I hear ya..

By the way, the black chrome on the Gorrilla's is very nice. They wash up nice with a soft cloth and car wash soap. I use a leaf blower to dry the wheels and the lugs after they are cleaned/rinsed.

You can't easily wax the splined lugs to keep them looking good and to protect their finish.

SO, I wax the wheel and then spray, Original Pig Spit on the splined lugs. Spray on and let it dry. Looks great and pretty long lasting protection.

So, consider Pig Spit or some other spray on protector so those lugs stay looking decent.. I have been using Pig Spit on my Harley's for years.. terrific stuff.
PigSpit.jpg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Having a Soccer Mom tire for your spare is a better deterrent than any lock :)

100_4042.JPG

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
If only you knew how easy those Gorilla locks are to defeat. Imagine a socket like this: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-So...ocphy=9031042&hvtargid=pla-762596499112&psc=1

Though when I've had to remove them without the key a regular socket and a nail or two is sufficient.

As for the Mopar ones, anyone who works at a dealer may have access to a locking lug key kit, which may include all the keys. Also, these are mostly readily available online, if you're in that "business."

Yes, locks keep the honest people honest. Just make sure to claim your custom wheels on your insurance.

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If only you knew how easy those Gorilla locks are to defeat. Imagine a socket like this: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-So...ocphy=9031042&hvtargid=pla-762596499112&psc=1
Though when I've had to remove them without the key a regular socket and a nail or two is sufficient.

As for the Mopar ones, anyone who works at a dealer may have access to a locking lug key kit, which may include all the keys (not a lot, I'd bet - 5-9?).
@2Wheel-Lee

No brainer, knowing that wheel locks, regardless of brand can easily be defeated.

5 wheel locks on each wheel will in fact slow guys like you down a bit, at least.... and make you work for your haul.
Sponsored