Sponsored

Wheel Locks for JL (Especially the Spare)?

TN-FL Jeep Guy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I just purchased a 2018 JL Unlimited Sport 4X4 with 17" aluminum wheels.

I have read various opinions about wheel locks here, but I have used them of for years on vehicles with nice wheels that may be attractive to thieves. However, this is my first vehicle to have an outside mounted spare on the back, seemingly ready made for someone to rip off (along with the camera in the center). I am frankly more concerned about that wheel & tire than the ones on the ground, but still want to secure all of them.

As it understand it the JL went to metric 14mm X 1.5 threads whereas the JK was 1/2" SAE. The only wheel locks I have found online come in packs of 4 with a key. If I buy 2 packs, they may have different keys, plus have to spend more money.

Does anyone have a recommendation to accomplish my goal of locking all the wheels, including the spare?

Thanks,
Gary
Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmmm... mine actually came from the dealer with wheel locks installed on all wheels including the spare. Might check with your dealer and see if they have a 5 piece set available.

Mugzzzee

First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired since 2004
Hmmmm... mine actually came from the dealer with wheel locks installed on all wheels including the spare. Might check with your dealer and see if they have a 5 piece set available.
Mine did as well!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Personally, I would not use/want the Mopar Wheel Locks on my JL, even if you gave them to me. Very ugly (look like a big friggin, sore thumb) and they are very easily defeated by some nitwit lets say. They are better then nothing... kinda.

IF you are going to bother with trying to protect your wheels (I do) your might want to consider a Gorilla Automotive, Factory Style Wheel Lock System (14mm x 1.50 Thread Size, 24-Pack)

These can be had in chrome and black chrome. Many JL owner's have installed them. Yes, the set runs a tad over $100.

In order to remove any of the splined lugs, you need a key tool.

Sure, like any wheel lock, a nitwit can remove if he tries hard enough, but with this system he has to remove all 5 splined lugs and not just one in order to get the wheel. This takes time and effort and hopefully, the nitwit will pass your JL by.

YES, reality is, best bet is to have good vehicle insurance coverage. If nitwit wants them he will get them..

8161zA72lbL._SX522_.jpg

vvv.JPG

blacklug-wheel.jpg

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
Personally, I would not use/want the Mopar Wheel Locks on my JL, even if you gave them to me. Very ugly (look like a big friggin, sore thumb) and they are very easily defeated by some nitwit lets say. They are better then nothing... kinda.

IF you are going to bother with trying to protect your wheels (I do) your might want to consider a Gorilla Automotive, Factory Style Wheel Lock System (14mm x 1.50 Thread Size, 24-Pack)

These can be had in chrome and black chrome. Many JL owner's have installed them. Yes, the set runs a tad over $100.

In order to remove any of the splined lugs, you need a key tool.

Sure, like any wheel lock, a nitwit can remove if he tries hard enough, but with this system he has to remove all 5 splined lugs and not just one in order to get the wheel. This takes time and effort and hopefully, the nitwit will pass your JL by.

YES, reality is, best bet is to have good vehicle insurance coverage. If nitwit wants them he will get them..

8161zA72lbL._SX522_.jpg

vvv.JPG

blacklug-wheel.jpg
Can you link this? All I can find are these: https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-76644NBC-Thread-Chrome/dp/B00SF8ES8E which appear to be longer

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
I have the Mopar wheel locks. Look and work great! :like:

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
They're all junk. Torqued by hand to specs, three of mine cracked longitudinally and the nipples broke off on the other two. Oh, and they were made in America by the same company that supplies them to Mopar.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oooooh... I LIKE those! Gimme gimme gimme!!!

Great... now I have lug nut envy... :facepalm:

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Lol you want these

unnamed1_copy_1024x1024-jpg.jpg
Ha! NICE! I get your point (or points as the case may be here)... see what I did there? :giggle:

With these I'd be well equipped for any chariot races I may encounter!!! (Ben Hur reference for you young'uns out there).

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all junk. Torqued by hand to specs, three of mine cracked longitudinally and the nipples broke off on the other two. Oh, and they were made in America by the same company that supplies them to Mopar.
Learn how to use a wrench and you won't have such issues.