Wheel hop issues

Sasquash

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 2 door, 1996 ZJ, 1976 SkiDoo Everest 440E
I have a 2020 2 door soft top 3.6 and 6 speed that I get to take out into sand dunes pretty much on the regular.​
I'm currently running Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 AT, but I have tried other tires, and a 4 door hard top Rubi take off suspension.​
As long as I stay in the flats or on the not so steep stuff the Jeep does fine. The whoops are brutal even creeping along at 25mph but I think as soon as I get some hydraulic bump stops it can smooth those out.​
Problem is as soon as I try the steeper stuff there is a lot of wheel hop. I've tried taking the tires down to 8 PSI (that's where I popped the bead off). Anybody know how to fix the wheel hop? I'd hate to drop 5 to 6k on something like coilovers and long arms and still have the same problem.​

3267.jpeg

3269.jpeg
Sponsored

5280Sapper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Disabled Veteran
there is a lot of factors.. tire construction: load range and pressure. shocks and springs.. all these things combined make a suspension work. how the control arms sit... biggest down fall on my current suspension is the control arms length and position. the lower brackets will perform better if they are on the axle center line. and obviously more parallel the the jeep and ground.

Nick p

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Land Rover
I think with that much lift on a 2 dr that your running out of down travel particularly on the front. I put front 4 dr rubicon springs on my 2 dr Rubicon and had that issue. Put some longer Fox shocks on it and it transformed the off road ride and hill climbing ability.

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
You are running stock shocks right? A set of tuned shocks will help out a lot. Adding air bumps will not solve your problem.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Jeep stock suspension/steering and shocks suck in the desert, whether it's off a Rubicon or not. Good shocks would definitely help, a proper lift kit probably would also. I personally wouldn't go long arms for what you are doing, I don't think it is necessary (my opinion). Also if you are getting a lot of wheel spin on the steeper stuff traction control and BLD may be working against you, 4-Lo disables some of the traction control nannies. I've read that you can hold the button longer and disable most of the traction control stuff, but I haven't tried it myself.
Sponsored