David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Glad no one was injured but I have to ask how long did u drive with an obvious hellacious vibration after knowing u just had the tires rotated?
This is the real question. There was almost certainly obvious signs the lugs were loose that OP ignored.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
This is the real question. There was almost certainly obvious signs the lugs were loose that OP ignored.
Probably was something somewhat different, but OP just got new wheels/tires so there's that feeling of "is this what the new tires sound like and handle going down the road?"
And before you know it chit hit the fan :(

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I would tell them not to touch it, you are going to take it to a certified mechanic and also calling a lawyer to file a lawsuit. There is not a court in the land that wouldn't award you the case. Who was the last person to touch and mechanically alter the vehicle. OMG that is like stealing a 12 pack in front of a cop. Dont talk to them, I think I would want a new Jeep, I cant trust this one.... You will get what you want.
I also would take it elsewhere for the mechanical repairs. Probably a dealer or a trusted 4 wheel shop.

If you can't trust a vehicle that has been thru this event, after properly repaired, it would certainly be your choice to sell it. But, nobody is getting a free new Jeep out of this.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: GtX

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
head to Harbor freight and buy a torque wrench they are like $10-$20 bucks and a socket that fits your wheel lugs and put it in the back of your jeep and every time you get your wheels changed just set it to 130lbs and torque your lugs before you leave.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
head to Harbor freight and buy a torque wrench they are like $10-$20 bucks and a socket that fits your wheel lugs and put it in the back of your jeep and every time you get your wheels changed just set it to 130lbs and torque your lugs before you leave.
Yep, got that exact one in my storage area behind the back seat :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
trurob777

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Didn't notice anything until I got up to speed merging on the freeway. Jeep started shacking. Felt like a flat. Immediately let off the accelerator and that's when the wheel flew off.

OP
OP
trurob777

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I also would take it elsewhere for the mechanical repairs. Probably a dealer or a trusted 4 wheel shop.

If you can't trust a vehicle that has been thru this event, after properly repaired, it would certainly be your choice to sell it. But, nobody is getting a free new Jeep out of this.
[/QUOTE]
Will be taking it to a local Jeep Only Dealer to vet the repairs and do their own diagnosis.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'd trust a breaker bar and my gut before I trusted a $20 torque wrench.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Remarkably, independent test results of the HF torque wrenches have shown that they are pretty darn accurate.
There's some pretty bad reviews of the Pittsburg 1/2". About 10% of the buyers gave 2 stars or below. About 7% were 1 star. One guy got 5 non-functioning torque wrenches in a row. Who knows what the accuracy is statistically, since nearly nobody has their torque wrenches checked. The problem with a no-name Chi-com product is they have no skin in the game. They trash their rep under one brand and they move on to another. But, that's good enough for some people. I'll pass.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
There's some pretty bad reviews of the Pittsburg 1/2". About 10% of the buyers gave 2 stars or below. About 7% were 1 star. One guy got 5 non-functioning torque wrenches in a row. Who knows what the accuracy is statistically, since nearly nobody has their torque wrenches checked. The problem with a no-name Chi-com product is they have no skin in the game. They trash their rep under one brand and they move on to another. But, that's good enough for some people. I'll pass.
I just keep that one as an emergency tool, even if the thing isn't extremely accurate it will get them tight when you're in a jam, and fits well in that storage bin :)
Got my tried&true old man Craftsman for garage duty :)

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
so if it brakes and yes it will you take it back it has a life time no questions ask warranty can't say that about 90% of the other torque wrenches out there at that price.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
so if it brakes and yes it will you take it back it has a life time no questions ask warranty can't say that about 90% of the other torque wrenches out there at that price.
A torque wrench's value is that it's a measuring instrument. I don't think you'd want the mechanics at the airline of your choice to be using one of these. At least, I sure don't.
Sponsored