Wheel Falls off on Highway After Tire Rotation

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've always rotated my own tires and done winter tire change overs myself. Had a flat one time and the garage over tightened the nuts so much I had to have the car towed. Wound up stripping several lug nuts getting them off!!!
Been going on since the air impact was invented. I watched a tire jockey wring off a lug stud with an impact. I never saw anyone put a torque wrench on a lug nut until the past 20 years or so.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Air impacts used w/ torque sticks that are less than the torque spec is ok, if they do the final snug down w/ a hand torque wrench. But I doubt most shops would do that, just grab the impact & go!

And impacts can really ding the crap out of the lug bores if they use sockets that are close to the bore walls, or the socket slips off the nut :( :(

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Our local shop has had a warning on the receipt to return after a few days after the rotation to check to make sure the lug-nuts haven't come loose. I can't remember when they added it, but I feel like it has been at least a year. We've always kind of laughed it off.. but after seeing this, I just pulled the trigger on a torque wrench to make sure I check periodically.

I'm glad that you and your family are ok and I appreciate you sharing this!
Discount tire and Costco both remind customers to come back for a complimentary wheel lug torque after they do work.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Been going on since the air impact was invented. I watched a tire jockey wring off a lug stud with an impact. I never saw anyone put a torque wrench on a lug nut until the past 20 years or so.
I have seen guys break studs also. There are still a lot of prima donnas doing things wrong. It's slowly changing with continuing education. Tire companies like Michelin offers training for wheel techs on proper procedures. Some tire shops like Discount Tires and even Costco teach their techs proper procedures and protocols. They use torque sticks and finish up with torque wrenches. They ask you to come back for inspections.

Of course it all does not mean anything if management, techs, do not follow proper procedure. lol.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Discount tire and Costco both remind customers to come back for a complimentary wheel lug torque after they do work.
They need to be told... you fronting rap sangers, be creamy like a Zanger. You ain't from the manager, boy, but you gets the middle finger. When Big Bun come danger, playa, ring your alarm. Sexy thang on my arm, cup of drank in my palm ...

Sponsored

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I'm compelled to chime in again.... I really think EVERYONE (JL owners) need to pay attention to the type of lug nut that is used! To me, the op's lug nuts look like inexpensive (aluminum?) lug nuts that are SUPER common in the aftermarket - but they do not resemble the much more robust "bulge" type lug nut which comes as OEM. The tapered contact surface area of the newer, "bulge" lugs is maybe 2X that of the more common, inexpensive, traditional lugs. Previously mentioned is the torque spec from Jeep of 130 ft-lbs.... but that assumes the correct lug nuts and that same 130 ft-lb spec may very well exceed the spec of those crappy smaller lug nuts.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm compelled to chime in again.... I really think EVERYONE (JL owners) need to pay attention to the type of lug nut that is used! To me, the op's lug nuts look like inexpensive (aluminum?) lug nuts that are SUPER common in the aftermarket - but they do not resemble the much more robust "bulge" type lug nut which comes as OEM. The tapered contact surface area of the newer, "bulge" lugs is maybe 2X that of the more common, inexpensive, traditional lugs. Previously mentioned is the torque spec from Jeep of 130 ft-lbs.... but that assumes the correct lug nuts and that same 130 ft-lb spec may very well exceed the spec of those crappy smaller lug nuts.
True that!
Here's a thread I posted on that subject
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/looking-for-better-safer-lug-nuts.43461/

Bravo

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0, 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega CTD, 2019 Roadglide Special, 2015 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 2019 Skidoo Summit X 165, and 2018 Skidoo Summit X 154
Glad no one was injured but I have to ask how long did u drive with an obvious hellacious vibration after knowing u just had the tires rotated?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
To add to CT's comment, coming from machinist and engineering careers, I can tell you the "class" of fit is important in any threaded connection. There are tolerances of the stud pitch diameter as well as the nut pitch diameter, that must be met or the fit will be tight or loose. If it's too tight, obviously it won't fit. But when its too loose it can strip the threads below the rated torque or clamping capability. Cheaply made threaded parts often have out of tolerance threads. Dont buy cheap lug nuts. Buy the best reputable name brand you can find.

Sponsored

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I would have them replace the entire rotor and Bearings, or someone that has some brains.
I would tell them not to touch it, you are going to take it to a certified mechanic and also calling a lawyer to file a lawsuit. There is not a court in the land that wouldn't award you the case. Who was the last person to touch and mechanically alter the vehicle. OMG that is like stealing a 12 pack in front of a cop. Dont talk to them, I think I would want a new Jeep, I cant trust this one.... You will get what you want.

• Haha
Reactions: GtX

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
The problem is most aftermarket wheels have a smaller bore hole for the lugs. With that, stock style and size lugs physically won’t fit. I see an issue with it but when the wheel manufacturer says it’s good to go and customers want that wheel, it’s hard to have a work around besides those splined lugs you see.

Brett

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The problem is most aftermarket wheels have a smaller bore hole for the lugs. With that, stock style and size lugs physically won’t fit. I see an issue with it but when the wheel manufacturer says it’s good to go and customers want that wheel, it’s hard to have a work around besides those splined lugs you see.

Brett
That's true Brett, but check my thread, there are some viable options.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/looking-for-better-safer-lug-nuts.43461/

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350