OP
OP
trurob777

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Having only one bent stud with no other major damage to others is impressive! Typically studs brake off clean in these situations.

It looks like the lugs were just hand tightened but never torqued when lowered and all but one managed to stayed on until he hit high speeds.

Im in the market for some thin wall deep sockets for my wheels. How do you like this brand?
Can you post a link to that socket? (Not you if you did previously. )

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
That freaks me out. I use them exclusively
I don't think its any more likely to happen at DT than most other places. Just depends on where this guy gets his next job. Probably get corporate systemic action if the OP's lawyer writes a letter or files a suit. If no suit, not likely they fix anything other than fire the mechanic.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Sometimes accidents are just that. This happened to a tech I know, and he had a piece of faulty equipment. I don't remember the whole story because I really wasn't paying attention, but the dealership called everyone that had their car worked on by him for the past week. They didn't know when his piece of equipment malfunctioned, so they wanted to check everyone out. So far as I know, they made it right with the guy that lost his wheel. :like:

joeyjoejoe285

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara - Granite Crystal Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Glad you're ok. The same thing happened to me last year after a tire rotation at the dealer. I was lucky not to be on the freeway and luckier still for it to have happened in front of another Jeeper's house (in picture).

Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel Falls off on Highway After Tire Rotation IMG_6424.JPG

NewTXJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Glad you're ok. The same thing happened to me last year after a tire rotation at the dealer. I was lucky not to be on the freeway and luckier still for it to have happened in front of another Jeeper's house (in picture).

This thread should renamed to - Wheel fails!!!

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
After I had my tires rotated by a national tire shop I jumped on the freeway and the front driver side tire flew off at about 60 mph. The tire flew past me and bounced over the center divider into incoming traffic. I managed to control my Jeep and pulled over to the right shoulder. Thankfully my the tire didn't hit anyone and no one was injured. It could have been a real bad situation.

I called the company who rotated my tires and they asked I get the Jeep towed to the shop they use. I did that and the Jeep is being looked at.

What type of damage can occur in this situation apart from the obvious that I am able to see? Could the differential itself orbits internals be potentially damaged?
Met someone on the trail on Saturday that this happened to. Their wheel went flying into the creek. They lost all their lug nuts as well.

When the Jeep dealership rotated my tires with the Wave oil change, they only tightened to 100 lb-ft, and had no idea it was supposed to be 130 (per the manual, and the Factory Service Manual, which they didn't have access to)

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
My Dad taught me to rotate tires when I was under ten years old. He believed in torquing all lug nuts to hernia levels. I still don't use a torque wrench and have to hold my personal lug nuts when removing my tires. Note that none have ever fallen off (of the cars).

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
After I had my tires rotated by a national tire shop I jumped on the freeway and the front driver side tire flew off at about 60 mph. The tire flew past me and bounced over the center divider into incoming traffic. I managed to control my Jeep and pulled over to the right shoulder. Thankfully my the tire didn't hit anyone and no one was injured. It could have been a real bad situation.

I called the company who rotated my tires and they asked I get the Jeep towed to the shop they use. I did that and the Jeep is being looked at.
I was wondering what to do in CA about a situation like this. We have the Bureau of Automotive Repair.

In NV, DMV licenses and regulates auto repair shops and handles complaints. They have an online form. Then there's the BBB, state AG office, etc. But, the DMV complaint would get the record down so this doesn't get buried and no corrective actions are taken. The next time might not be just parts that get broken.

Last edited:

Healthybaker

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
I've always rotated my own tires and done winter tire change overs myself. Had a flat one time and the garage over tightened the nuts so much I had to have the car towed. Wound up stripping several lug nuts getting them off!!!
Sponsored