Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I hate to beat a dead horse, but is there only 1 bent lug in this picture?

Is it possible only 1 lug nut was put on?

This is the most interesting thing I have to discuss right now. :CWL:

IMG_20200515_195458.jpg
Sponsored

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I drove around on 35s with 4 not 5 lug nuts for 3 years because I sheared one off thanks to stupid locktite.

There's no way it was only 1 lugnut.

They may have only been handtight. Even if they were tightened to a descent amount this shouldn't have happened.

Agreed! :like:

tampahoosier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD and 2005 TJ
Unreal that no one was hurt, especially considering you had a wheel shoot off on the highway! I had a similar situation happen 2 years ago. I went in for a tire rotate and alignment and they forgot to tighten down the lugs. My 8 month pregnant wife was following me home in her car when the tire shot off and she confirmed what I thought I felt... She saw the rear right wheel completely off the ground immediately after the tire came off at 45mph.
You can see in the pictures from the jeep lean how close I probably was to rolling it. I felt VERY lucky.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel Falls off on Highway After Tire Rotation IMG_1258
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel Falls off on Highway After Tire Rotation IMG_1255

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

What about them brakes? Looks like he went a bit long to replace pads.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The hazard of a loose wheel/tire on a high speed highway brought up a memory from many years ago. I was in my 79 El Camino on the 405 northbound. It was afternoon traffic, heavy, close, but moving 60 ish. I saw something out of wack in front of me, it was a 22 semi truck wheel/tire falling out of a stakebed in front of me. It bounce once and I swerved to the next lane. The guy following close behind me in a little Jap econocar wasn't so lucky. He centerpunched the tire at speed. I saw the whole front end of that car cave in. I'm sure it totalled that car.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Geez!

Glad to hear no one got hurt.

I have been going to Discount Tire for years, both when I lived in California and here in Washington State.

My guess is an issue like this goes back to the store manager.

I got a new set of wheels and tires for my Fiat Spider three months ago: they were very diligent with the torquing part of the install. They followed a very deliberate procedure: two people were involved; one torqued the wheels; the other went over with a wrench double checking the torque on each lug nut.

They even called me a month later to bring in the car to re-torque all lug nuts, free of charge.

If these procedures weren’t followed at your store, chances are the manager is not taking safety procedures with the seriousness they deserve and not enforcing them.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Geez!

Glad to hear no one got hurt.

I have been going to Discount Tire for years, both when I lived in California and here in Washington State.

My guess is an issue like this goes back to the store manager.

I got a new set of wheels and tires for my Fiat Spider three months ago: they were very diligent with the torquing part of the install. You could tell they observe, rehearse and follow a specific procedure; two people were involved: one torqued the wheels; the other went over with a wrench double checking the torque on each lug nut.

They even called me a month later to bring in the car to re-torque all lug nuts, free of charge.

If these procedures weren’t followed at your store, chances are the manager is not taking these procedures with the seriousness they deserve and is not enforcing them.
Sounds like they've had a lesson in the past. Wonder if that process is corporate policy or are these stores franchises?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like they've had a lesson in the past. Wonder if that process is corporate policy or are these stores franchises?
Indeed.

Given that the stores are owned by Discount Tire, as opposed to independently owned franchises, my guess would be that these are corporate-wide best-practice safety procedures.

I saw similar diligence at my Discount Tire store in San Pedro, California, where I went to for years.

Sponsored

tampahoosier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD and 2005 TJ
Indeed.

Given that the stores are owned by Discount Tire, as opposed to independently owned franchises, my guess would be that these are corporate-wide best-practice safety procedures.

I saw similar diligence at my Discount Tire store in San Pedro, California, where I went to for years.
See that is smart, what extra does that really cost them?? It does have the added customer service benefit though, I would be happy to frequent a shop that had the level of detail you've seen. I was at Mavis, I felt bad for the guy he clearly screwed up and they fired him for it. I told the manager I didn't want someone to lose their job over this because no one go hurt and he understandably said it was a risk the store wouldn't take for it to happen again.

OP
OP
trurob777

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
What about them brakes? Looks like he went a bit long to replace pads.
Had some work done at the dealership not too long ago and they said breaks were at 10 mm and not needing to be replaced yet.. I asked them to check because I was hearing some squeaking on the trail. They said it was likely due to dust.

OP
OP
trurob777

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Unreal that no one was hurt, especially considering you had a wheel shoot off on the highway! I had a similar situation happen 2 years ago. I went in for a tire rotate and alignment and they forgot to tighten down the lugs. My 8 month pregnant wife was following me home in her car when the tire shot off and she confirmed what I thought I felt... She saw the rear right wheel completely off the ground immediately after the tire came off at 45mph.
You can see in the pictures from the jeep lean how close I probably was to rolling it. I felt VERY lucky.
Holy smokes.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
After I had my tires rotated by a national tire shop I jumped on the freeway and the front driver side tire flew off at about 60 mph. The tire flew past me and bounced over the center divider into incoming traffic. I managed to control my Jeep and pulled over to the right shoulder. Thankfully my the tire didn't hit anyone and no one was injured. It could have been a real bad situation.

I called the company who rotated my tires and they asked I get the Jeep towed to the shop they use. I did that and the Jeep is being looked at.

What type of damage can occur in this situation apart from the obvious that I am able to see? Could the differential itself orbits internals be potentially damaged?
Any reason why the name of the national tire shop isn't being mentioned?

ivo

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLU

IMG_20200515_195458.jpg
Having only one bent stud with no other major damage to others is impressive! Typically studs brake off clean in these situations.

It looks like the lugs were just hand tightened but never torqued when lowered and all but one managed to stayed on until he hit high speeds.

Every time I go to DT or any tire shop, I even bring my own lug nut socket because apparently they don't care marring your rims at all. Tire techs like use air impact gun as if he is on the front line of Vietnam.

Im in the market for some thin wall deep sockets for my wheels. How do you like this brand?
Sponsored