Wheel Falls off on Highway After Tire Rotation

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
Thanks for this post I replaced my tires three weeks ago and I am gonna bust out the tire iron and make sure all are tight.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks for this post I replaced my tires three weeks ago and I am gonna bust out the tire iron and make sure all are tight.
Funny thing, I just bought a battery powered impact a couple days back and tried it out on a few lugs on the truck. Then, of course, I needed to torque them. I tightened/torqued the ones I had loosened, but something told me to check all the (6) lugs on that wheel. I did and found one was pretty loose. So, I went around the truck and found one or two other were notably looser than the required torque. I know I did the last rotation and torquing. And I always go around the lugs twice with the torque wrench to be sure I didn't miss one. So, there's some truth to needing re-torquing after a period of use, which I never subscribed to in the past. Learned something new...and I'm old and have worked on cars all my life.

Duck Dodgers

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 door
Sometimes those shops with the waiting rooms and TV’s and shirts with names on them just DKWTFTAD same for a few dealerships I’ve had the pleasure of dealing with.

Great piece of driving by the way.

RedRockRubicon

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.redrockrubicon.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR named Lucy, 2018 Bright White JLUR named Dru, 2020 Hella Yella JLUR named Stuart, 2000 TJ Bright Silver Metallic name Gru. 2020 Gladiator name Kassandra
Occupation
Jeep Tours/rentals
Yeah, wheel is toast.
IMG_20200515_193928.jpg
First, I'm so glad you are okay. This picture is fascinating. The studs really chewed up the wheel in the fraction of a second they were sharing the same space. Amazing.

Midwestguy

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
After I had my tires rotated by a national tire shop I jumped on the freeway and the front driver side tire flew off at about 60 mph. The tire flew past me and bounced over the center divider into incoming traffic. I managed to control my Jeep and pulled over to the right shoulder. Thankfully my the tire didn't hit anyone and no one was injured. It could have been a real bad situation.

I called the company who rotated my tires and they asked I get the Jeep towed to the shop they use. I did that and the Jeep is being looked at.

What type of damage can occur in this situation apart from the obvious that I am able to see? Could the differential itself orbits internals be potentially damaged?
IMG_20200515_195824.jpg
IMG_20200515_195458.jpg
IMG_20200515_191033.jpg
Wow. Looks like they forgot to put the lug nuts on it - correct?

The MINIMUM i would do is new factory rotor, studs, wheel and full thrust alignment.
What I would also include/ask for = tires/road hazard/alignments for life on that vehicle.

Sponsored

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
My regional tire shop always recommends that I come back at 25 miles and 250 miles to have my lugs re-torqued after a rotation on Jeeps specifically. I re-torque them myself at those intervals now.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My regional tire shop always recommends that I come back at 25 miles and 250 miles to have my lugs re-torqued after a rotation on Jeeps specifically. I re-torque them myself at those intervals now.
Do you ever find significant lower torque lugs?

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

this is why i dont like to let any shops touch my wheels. i take my wheels and tires to the tire shop and have them to the mount/balance and then i take them back home and install them myself.

especially for something as simple as a tire rotation...

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Scary stuff and a miracle it didn't hit an oncoming car. I couldn't imagine an 80lb wheel and tire bouncing through your windshield at 60+ mph going all to well.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
This is why I despise "Tire Guys"! Just last weekend I had to replace the wheel studs on my sisters car because some Idiot doesn't know how to use an air wrench. Car had one broken stud and two cross-threaded out of four lug-nuts. She said it made an awful noise and asked if I would check it for her.
Gregj

Sponsored

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
This is why I despise "Tire Guys"! Just last weekend I had to replace the wheel studs on my sisters car because some Idiot doesn't know how to use an air wrench. Car had one broken stud and two cross-threaded out of four lug-nuts. She said it made an awful noise and asked if I would check it for her.
Gregj

Yep... took about 4 hours to change my dad's ties last week due to over-torqued lugs that caused me to strip the lock nut key....

Had to use a 12 point socket and heat to remove the lugs....

DUMMIES!:mad:

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
After I had my tires rotated by a national tire shop I jumped on the freeway and the front driver side tire flew off at about 60 mph. The tire flew past me and bounced over the center divider into incoming traffic. I managed to control my Jeep and pulled over to the right shoulder. Thankfully my the tire didn't hit anyone and no one was injured. It could have been a real bad situation.

I called the company who rotated my tires and they asked I get the Jeep towed to the shop they use. I did that and the Jeep is being looked at.

What type of damage can occur in this situation apart from the obvious that I am able to see? Could the differential itself orbits internals be potentially damaged?
IMG_20200515_195824.jpg
IMG_20200515_195458.jpg
IMG_20200515_191033.jpg
I was in a similar situation after an oil change. I went to a mom and pop oil change place in my previous vehicle, they never properly replaced the oil plug. 10 minutes after driving away my engine seized and was a total loss. Their insurance paid for everything. Obviously you vehicle will not be a total loss, but the shop needs to make you whole. Sorry about that, but glad you and everyone else are safe.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
This is why I change my own oil, rotate my own tires, install my own lift kits and with Hutchinson bead locks I actually mount my own tires. Discount tire sells me tires I mount them and take them back for spin balance on a trailer.

Nobody cares about your Jeep like you do, or your life for that matter.

Glad you were not injured in this potentially deadly mishap.

OP
OP
trurob777

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Sorry to hear this. I was very close to this situation last week as well, even though with the rear passenger wheel.

Dont mean to hijack the thread, but I am hoping the questions are relevant.

Questions for experts: DT is replacing the wheel and they have said they have a local shop they work with to replace the studs. Is replacing the studs a good way to handle this? Should I insist that this be done at a dealership? Anything else to look out for?

IMG_2376 2.jpg

IMG_9463.JPG
It wasn't a Jeep dealer that did this stupid shit :facepalm: ... OP just said a national tire shop. Wonder which one?
I didn't want to put them on blast ,buuuut it was Discount Tire.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Damn! Glad you're ok :like:
How in the hell do people not put lugnuts on correctly? :angry:
I take mine to a place that has to check air pressure and actually use a Torque wrench (half these places dont even have one). Once they are done they walk around and check at least one lug on each wheel before they let you leave. My friend takes his truck to a place (National) down the street because he claims its cheaper. Same thing happened to him. He didnt get past the stop light and his rear wheel fell off. I would make them replace axle, bearings, everything!
Sponsored