Sponsored

Wheel Falls off on Highway After Tire Rotation

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
After I had my tires rotated by a national tire shop I jumped on the freeway and the front driver side tire flew off at about 60 mph. The tire flew past me and bounced over the center divider into incoming traffic. I managed to control my Jeep and pulled over to the right shoulder. Thankfully my the tire didn't hit anyone and no one was injured. It could have been a real bad situation.

I called the company who rotated my tires and they asked I get the Jeep towed to the shop they use. I did that and the Jeep is being looked at.

What type of damage can occur in this situation apart from the obvious that I am able to see? Could the differential itself orbits internals be potentially damaged?
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel Falls off on Highway After Tire Rotation IMG_20200515_195824
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel Falls off on Highway After Tire Rotation IMG_20200515_195458
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel Falls off on Highway After Tire Rotation IMG_20200515_191033
Sponsored

sdiver68

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 4XE, Tesla M3LR, Nissan Sentra
Occupation
Management Consultant/Small Business Owner
Well, seems you lost a wheel not just a tire ;)

Glad you are OK!

I put a wrench on my lugs unless I physically oversee the install. Ive had far too many not tightened lugs in the past. Never lost the whole wheel but have lost lugs in the past.

Last edited:

Jitzy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Occupation
Retired Police, Now Certified Custom Club Fitter
Holy crap, how much did you have to ride on the rotars?

OP
OP
trurob777

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, seems you lost a wheel not just a tire ;)

Glad you are OK!

I put a wrench on my lugs unless I physically oversee the install. Ive had far too many not tightened lugs in the past. Never lost the whole wheel but lost have lost lugs in the past.
Yeah, should have been more specific. The wheel flew off.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
That looks amazingly good for a vehicle that lost a wheel at 60 mph.

I doubt your differential was damaged by the event, but I probably would pull the cover and have a look for any obvious damage to the ring gear.

Much more likely is that your front axle housing is tweaked, the knuckle is damaged/bent, the ball joints, wheelbearings, rotors, track bar and frame mount could be compromised. There's just no way to easily see the metal fatigue this event could have induced.

My guess will be that the tire company will want to replace the lug studs and go from there. I'd be very cautious with that 'fix'.
I’m with Sean. He nailed it

That said it would be going to a shop I choose and would have the front end gone thru along with an alignment. I would want a new hub vs stud as well along with the obvious like rotor and wheel.

Brett

Jitzy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Occupation
Retired Police, Now Certified Custom Club Fitter

I doubt your differential was damaged by the event, but I probably would pull the cover and have a look for any obvious damage to the ring gear.

Much more likely is that your front axle housing is tweaked, the knuckle is damaged/bent, the ball joints, wheelbearings, rotors, track bar and frame mount could be compromised. There's just no way to easily see the metal fatigue this event could have induced.

My guess will be that the tire company will want to replace the lug studs and go from there. I'd be very cautious with that 'fix'.
What he said.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal

I’m with Sean. He nailed it

That said it would be going to a shop I choose and would have the front end gone thru along with an alignment. I would want a new hub vs stud as well along with the obvious like rotor and wheel.

Brett

basically what they said. luckly it wasnt any worst then it did. i've always checked everything after the jeep leaves the shop.

Sponsored

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
At the very least that rotor is ruined, the wheel might have damage from exiting the studs and whatever it hit as it bounced around.
The studs of course.

If it was me, before I accept any settlement, I would have it inspected (on their dime) at a dealership (or a shop that knows jeeps and that you trust).

That tire place will surely want you to say it's all good, but you have to think long term.
6 months from now if something in the front-end breaks, it may be related and you'll have no more recourse.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Great replies above regarding what to demand in your case.

So glad to hear that all you lost was your wheel (and whatever damage may have incurred) rather than your life or the lives of others or bodily injuries.

I never let a shop mount my tires (I'll have them mount the wheel to the tire but that's it). Just too many shops get way too happy w/ the air hammer and over-torque the crap out of them. If not, there's a chance they space something out and you end up w/ a horrible scenario that @trurob777
incurred. And if not that, an impact gone astray and ding your wheels, etc. Just not worth it IMO, and only have a shop mount a wheel if I'm in an emergency, and then be sure to check everything w/ a torque wrench prior to driving it.

I carry a 1/2" torque wrench in my rear storage area.

OP
OP
trurob777

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks all. Lesson learned here. I don't think I can ever trust that lugs are being properly torqued going forward. You've given me some things to look out for. I am going to let them know I want a shop of my choice to vet the condition of the Jeep.

More importantly, I am very glad that no one was injured. I had the wife and kids in the Jeep when this happened. They were shaken up for sure. And the wheel flying into incoming traffic could have seriously injured or killed someone.

I have consulted a friend lawyer to see what my recourse is.

OP
OP
trurob777

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At the very least that rotor is ruined, the wheel might have damage from exiting the studs and whatever it hit as it bounced around.
The studs of course.

If it was me, before I accept any settlement, I would have it inspected (on their dime) at a dealership (or a shop that knows jeeps and that you trust).

That tire place will surely want you to say it's all good, but you have to think long term.
6 months from now if something in the front-end breaks, it may be related and you'll have no more recourse.
Yeah, wheel is toast.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel Falls off on Highway After Tire Rotation IMG_20200515_193928

tcari394

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL (2dr)
Our local shop has had a warning on the receipt to return after a few days after the rotation to check to make sure the lug-nuts haven't come loose. I can't remember when they added it, but I feel like it has been at least a year. We've always kind of laughed it off.. but after seeing this, I just pulled the trigger on a torque wrench to make sure I check periodically.

I'm glad that you and your family are ok and I appreciate you sharing this!
Sponsored