Sponsored

Wheel Falls off on Highway After Tire Rotation

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Sorry to hear this. I was very close to this situation last week as well, even though with the rear passenger wheel.

Dont mean to hijack the thread, but I am hoping the questions are relevant.

Questions for experts: DT is replacing the wheel and they have said they have a local shop they work with to replace the studs. Is replacing the studs a good way to handle this? Should I insist that this be done at a dealership? Anything else to look out for?

IMG_2376 2.jpg

IMG_9463.JPG
Yeah you oughtta be alright...I'd rather do it myself to know if any of the stud bores wallowed, but likely not.

Once you get it back remove that wheel, reinstall and retorque to ~130. If the studs don't spin and it drives ok, move on to more important things like being a good subordinate citizen panicking about viruses that have a tenth-of-a-percent chance of hurting you.

In fact, according to CNN you really should just run those studs as they are..... honestly man they just don't look THAT bad but COVID IS that bad, so you really should prioritize your panic. Jeesh, such irresponsible citizens on this forum...

If this were a front I'd insist on a complete new wb assy, but given that your situation is a rear axle I think just replacing studs is reasonable
Sponsored

NewTXJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Yeah you oughtta be alright...I'd rather do it myself to know if any of the stud bores wallowed, but likely not.

Once you get it back remove that wheel, reinstall and retorque to ~130. If the studs don't spin and it drives ok, move on to more important things like being a good subordinate citizen panicking about viruses that have a tenth-of-a-percent chance of hurting you.

In fact, according to CNN you really should just run those studs as they are..... honestly man they just don't look THAT bad but COVID IS that bad, so you really should prioritize your panic. Jeesh, such irresponsible citizens on this forum...

If this were a front I'd insist on a complete new wb assy, but given that your situation is a rear axle I think just replacing studs is reasonable
lol, thanks for your advice. Not sure what Covid has to do with this, but whatever.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Every time I go to DT or any tire shop, I even bring my own lug nut socket because apparently they don't care marring your rims at all. Tire techs like use air impact gun as if he is on the front line of Vietnam.

71UUuO1HkqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
What kind of vehicle are you going to buy with your lawsuit settlement?

I don't let another person work on my car unless absolutely essential. Depending on your area the local Jeep dealer might or might not be more competent than the average national tire chain. It is always good to find a local independent shop that you trust. (My family has owned an independent garage for 60 years so I have my own opinion based on that.)

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
Whatever you do, dont do anything yourself. The minute you get involved in this it can remove their liability. I would have them do whatever work they are saying they will do. to fix the problem. Then inform them you will be taking the Jeep to a dealership and have it inspected for any other possible damage and they will be responsible for the diagnostic bill along with any additional damages occurred.

At a minimum the wheel hub will need replaced, rotors, pads, wheel of course. You can see the studs are bent. so new hub will be needed.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Jeep dealerships. are great. Apparently they can't do a tire rotation correctly or put the right amount of oil in Jeep. They do not instill confidence.
It wasn't a Jeep dealer that did this stupid shit :facepalm: ... OP just said a national tire shop. Wonder which one?

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
It wasn't a Jeep dealer that did this stupid shit :facepalm: ... OP just said a national tire shop. Wonder which one?
And the second person said that his happened after a visit to DT. I wonder if that is a dealer or also a national chain.

Later,
Johnny

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Just as FYI - those are the WRONG lug nuts for the OEM JL wheels.... which I'm not sure if you have or not. The JL's use a 14mm x 1.50 "BULGE" style seat. If you want to have a locking system for OEM wheels, Gorilla has the correct lugs. Part number is 96644BDX

NewTXJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Just as FYI - those are the WRONG lug nuts for the OEM JL wheels.... which I'm not sure if you have or not. The JL's use a 14mm x 1.50 "BULGE" style seat. If you want to have a locking system for OEM wheels, Gorilla has the correct lugs. Part number is 96644BDX
If this is meant for me..I have Icon Rebounds and lug nuts were supplied by DT.

Sponsored

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
After I had my tires rotated by a national tire shop I jumped on the freeway and the front driver side tire flew off at about 60 mph. The tire flew past me and bounced over the center divider into incoming traffic. I managed to control my Jeep and pulled over to the right shoulder. Thankfully my the tire didn't hit anyone and no one was injured. It could have been a real bad situation.

I called the company who rotated my tires and they asked I get the Jeep towed to the shop they use. I did that and the Jeep is being looked at.

What type of damage can occur in this situation apart from the obvious that I am able to see? Could the differential itself orbits internals be potentially damaged?
Literally had the exact same thing happen years ago with my '98 TJ Sport on the interstate, same wheel and everything. Watching your own wheel bounce across the highway as sparks fly is certainly a surreal experience.

I was young at the time but sent a very sternly worded letter to the dealership that serviced my vehicle. They brought me in to a high-level meeting as I think they were afraid of a lawsuit. I got them to agree to repair anything at all related to the incident, free loaner vehicle, and a few years of free basic service visits in exchange for signing a declaration that I wouldn't sue them.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
If this is meant for me..I have Icon Rebounds and lug nuts were supplied by DT.
My post was intended for the community. You should also check - I wouldn't automatically assume you received the correct lug nuts. The OEM (Jeep) went to a larger "bulge" seat to have increased contact surface area knowing that wheel/tires are often MUCH heavier than normal passenger car tires and the fact that the Jeep "only" has 5 lugs.

Ironically, when owners choose to "upgrade" their wheel tires they often unwittingly "downgrade" the lug nuts - back to the much more common and readily available "small" lug nut. IMO, those wheels that have been engineered to retain the OEM bulge lug nuts are going to be superior to those who don't.

NewTXJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
My post was intended for the community. You should also check - I wouldn't automatically assume you received the correct lug nuts. The OEM (Jeep) went to a larger "bulge" seat to have increased contact surface area knowing that wheel/tires are often MUCH heavier than normal passenger car tires and the fact that the Jeep "only" has 5 lugs.

Ironically, when owners choose to "upgrade" their wheel tires they often unwittingly "downgrade" the lug nuts - back to the much more common and readily available "small" lug nut. IMO, those wheels that have been engineered to retain the OEM bulge lug nuts are going to be superior to those who don't.
I agree. hours and hours on wheel/ tire research and I didn't even think about the lug nuts. I relied on DT to take care of this for me. My bad.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
At a minimum the wheel hub will need replaced, rotors, pads, wheel of course. You can see the studs are bent. so new hub will be needed.
The studs can be easily replaced. The concern I would have has more to do with peening the bearing from the shock of hitting the pavement. That might shorten the life of the hub bearings. Might not. Rotor (singular) ought to be replaced, probably ask for a backing plate, and , of course, wheel and pads. Nobody mentioned any body (flare) damage. I'd certainly have a good look at the flare and other body parts.
Sponsored

Last edited: