Sponsored

Wheel and tire options advice - JLUR

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Looking for advice from others who have swapped out the factory wheel and tires on a Rubicon. I plan to run 315/70/17 and have narrowed it down to the Ridge Grappler and the BFG K02. (I know there are other good tires, but these are the ones on my short list).

I have narrowed my wheel choices to the Dirty Life DT-1 9303 with a -12 offset, and the Quadratec 41 with the +10 offset.

Has anyone run a similar combo, and what are your thoughts on them? What type of MPG hit did you see?

Here is some rough data on the combos.
DT1 weight - roughly 46lbs
Quadratec 41 - roughly 26lbs
315/70/17 K02 roughly 65lbs
315/70/17 Ridge Grappler roughly 71lbs

Factory wheel and tire weight = roughly 80lbs
DT1 + 315 ko2 111lbs
DT1 + 315 RG 116 lbs
41 + 315 ko2 91lbs
41 + 315 RG 96lbs

I will have the full metalcloak undercloak, front and rear diff skids, lca skids, winch guard, Roam rock sliders, and will have winch. (Quite a bit of added weight)

My main concern is with all the added weight already, should I try to keep the wheel and tire combos as light as I can? I will not be running the dt-1 as a functional beadlock, so no bnifit there as of now. (But can in future if I choose) I also want to make sure the wheels are not too far out. Looking at the specs alone and the online tools the Quadratec 41 with the +10 offset may be a better overall fit for the JLUR, as the -12 pushes the tires out quite a bit. With getting rock chips already with the factory setup, pushing the tires way out seems like a bad idea. Also, will I end up with faster wear on the steering components with -12 leading to a faster onset of death wobble? Also the dt-1 has a larger hub bore, so is this something that may lead to more balance issues?

Looking for anyone's opinion on this that wants to chime in. I am leaning to the Quadratec 41 with the Ridge Grappler, but I always have, and still do like the DT-1.
Sponsored

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Looking for advice from others who have swapped out the factory wheel and tires on a Rubicon. I plan to run 315/70/17 and have narrowed it down to the Ridge Grappler and the BFG K02. (I know there are other good tires, but these are the ones on my short list).

I have narrowed my wheel choices to the Dirty Life DT-1 9303 with a -12 offset, and the Quadratec 41 with the +10 offset.

Has anyone run a similar combo, and what are your thoughts on them? What type of MPG hit did you see?

Here is some rough data on the combos.
DT1 weight - roughly 46lbs
Quadratec 41 - roughly 26lbs
315/70/17 K02 roughly 65lbs
315/70/17 Ridge Grappler roughly 71lbs

Factory wheel and tire weight = roughly 80lbs
DT1 + 315 ko2 111lbs
DT1 + 315 RG 116 lbs
41 + 315 ko2 91lbs
41 + 315 RG 96lbs

I will have the full metalcloak undercloak, front and rear diff skids, lca skids, winch guard, Roam rock sliders, and will have winch. (Quite a bit of added weight)

My main concern is with all the added weight already, should I try to keep the wheel and tire combos as light as I can? I will not be running the dt-1 as a functional beadlock, so no bnifit there as of now. (But can in future if I choose) I also want to make sure the wheels are not too far out. Looking at the specs alone and the online tools the Quadratec 41 with the +10 offset may be a better overall fit for the JLUR, as the -12 pushes the tires out quite a bit. With getting rock chips already with the factory setup, pushing the tires way out seems like a bad idea. Also, will I end up with faster wear on the steering components with -12 leading to a faster onset of death wobble? Also the dt-1 has a larger hub bore, so is this something that may lead to more balance issues?

Looking for anyone's opinion on this that wants to chime in. I am leaning to the Quadratec 41 with the Ridge Grappler, but I always have, and still do like the DT-1.
Here's my take:
- Depending on the lift and how you plan to use the Jeep, the 5.2 backspacing might be a little too much. Yes, it will be tuck'd in, but under full flex, you migh rub.
- You should expect ~2-3MPG hit. Since you are only going 35's it is probably closer to 2. I see about 3 with 37's (Ridge Grapplers, 3.5 lift, steel bumpers, sliders, carrier, winch.)

OP
OP
Cypher

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my take:
- Depending on the lift and how you plan to use the Jeep, the 5.2 backspacing might be a little too much. Yes, it will be tuck'd in, but under full flex, you migh rub.
- You should expect ~2-3MPG hit. Since you are only going 35's it is probably closer to 2. I see about 3 with 37's (Ridge Grapplers, 3.5 lift, steel bumpers, sliders, carrier, winch.)
I thought about rubbing, but people are running the factory wheels with +44 and the 315's and not having issues (a few have said it rubs, many said it does not) and that's why I thought the +10 would be a good overall fit. I also think the AEV wheels are going to be like a +25, so I would assume that they should also support the use of the 315, but maybe I am overthinking it.

I will not have a lift for now, I plan to see how it does first. (May add leveling kit from Teraflex depending on how it sits with all the added weight). Down the road I may move to a 2" lift. (Mopar 2" Springs with Teraflex Alpine arms, or Teraflex springs and Alpine arms.) still working out the final lift plans as I don't want to go any higher than I need to for my usage. I plan to run the Falcon 3.3 shocks, or maybe the Fox Factory racing 2.5s once they are out.

I am hoping to get my Rubicon back from the dealership this week if they are able to fix the coolant leaks, so I hope to order my wheels and tires next week so they are ready when I get back from our 2 week trip we are about to take. I wish I had everything on it now as we will be spending a week in CO and UT.

OP
OP
Cypher

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my take:
Do you know if the -12 offset wheels with 12.5 in wide tires will hit the fenders under flex? I know the +10 with the tire will tuck into the fenders, and I think some have said the -12 works, but it never addresses if they are adding bump stops to keep it from hitting. I don't want to lose up travel. I want to make sure my tire will still tuck at flex. I am ok adding a lift if required, I just don't want to have a tire that sticks out so far it needs massive bump stops to keep it from hitting the outside of the fender. (Won't tuck)

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Do you know if the -12 offset wheels with 12.5 in wide tires will hit the fenders under flex? I know the +10 with the tire will tuck into the fenders, and I think some have said the -12 works, but it never addresses if they are adding bump stops to keep it from hitting. I don't want to lose up travel. I want to make sure my tire will still tuck at flex. I am ok adding a lift if required, I just don't want to have a tire that sticks out so far it needs massive bump stops to keep it from hitting the outside of the fender. (Won't tuck)
I have +10 quadratec wheels running 315/70/17 ko2's and they dont rub when flexing and stickout anout 1.5" past the rubi fenders. Like them alot
Sponsored