Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Chalk test is great for a baseline, but I’ve found (after 50,000+ miles on a set of tires), it causes you to set pressure just a little too low for even wear. What this test doesn’t account for is extra pressure on the outsides of the treads while turning and cornering. The edges will wear too much, need to go up 5 psi or so after getting an even chalk pattern.
Well nobody has to worry about after 50,000 miles if they are running milestar patagonia tires. They will be getting ready to put their 3rd set on by then.
Sponsored

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
at the moment my tires are at 36 mainly to keep the tire pressure light from coming on. Before this jeep, my 07 JK was at 22 for the most part.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
This is cold. They warm up to 29 on the road. Off Road, I run 10 psi on the trail and in the sand I will run 6 to 8 psi. depending on the condition of the sand. On Rocks, usually about 10 psi.
You might want to mention you have beadlocks.

Without beadlocks, the front bead is much more likely to break than the rear. I have my JT Brooks defators set to 13 front, 10 rear.

See bt39.com (Bit Tire 39's)for footprint vs pressure.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Well nobody has to worry about after 50,000 miles if they are running milestar patagonia tires. They will be getting ready to put their 3rd set on by then.
That's because they're soft, sticky, and grip better than most except trep stickies & redlines.

Chalk test is great for a baseline
Chalk test leads to intuitive and wrong conclusions like Bernoulli's principle.

That being said, I run 32x12 tires @ 30 cold/32-33 warm. Its normal for tires to heat up and increase in PSI about 10%. Obviously with summer temps it is about 4 psi, in winter about 2 psi. If your PSI goes up much more than this after driving awhile at highway speeds...........you may be a little under inflated causing the tires to overheat a bit.

If I had stock tires and no cargo I would likely try around 32 cold/35=36 warm.
IMO if you are not loaded down going with 36-37 cold puts you around 40+ warm and is a bit too stiff.
I would rather get a bit more even tire wear and better ride and sacrifice a little mpg. Also having tires stiffer makes the steering a little more twitchy. Too soft is similar and I have found I can tell the difference of being 2-3 psi high or low with my given tire type, brand, and load rating.
Higher pressure = less friction and less wear on the tires.

Have you ever noticed the majority of worn out tires you see at a tire shop are always worn out in the center more than the edges. As long as you are not getting 5-6 psi increase after driving awhile you are likely fine going with a few psi less than recommended and you will get a little more life from your tires.
But they lasted twice as many miles as under inflated tires.

If you want more mileage out of your tires, more pressure. If you want better traction in dirt, rocks, sand, and usually mud, lower the pressure. In snow, more pressure.

Sponsored

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
That's because they're soft, sticky, and grip better than most except trep stickies & redlines.

Chalk test leads to intuitive and wrong conclusions like Bernoulli's principle.

Higher pressure = less friction and less wear on the tires.

But they lasted twice as many miles as under inflated tires.

If you want more mileage out of your tires, more pressure. If you want better traction in dirt, rocks, sand, and usually mud, lower the pressure. In snow, more pressure.
Taking part of my response out of context makes you sound like a fool trying to be an expert. Do you work for CNN by chance?

zw470

First Name
McFly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR
315/70 STT Pros

32f/28r keeps it nice and even with the winch and heavy bumper up front, and I usually air down to 14 off-road.

wsly14

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Clubs

I aired my factory Falken MTs down to 32 PSI and thought it rode nice. And then one cooler morning a few months later the TPMS system was alerting me that they were all at 30 and too low. I have a hard time just ignoring that warning light in my face, so I had to take them all the way back up to 37 to make the TPMS happy.

What does everyone running low pressures do about the annoying TPMS warning? I don’t want to buy a tazer just for that, but I may have to.

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
I aired my factory Falken MTs down to 32 PSI and thought it rode nice. And then one cooler morning a few months later the TPMS system was alerting me that they were all at 30 and too low. I have a hard time just ignoring that warning light in my face, so I had to take them all the way back up to 37 to make the TPMS happy.

What does everyone running low pressures do about the annoying TPMS warning? I don’t want to buy a tazer just for that, but I may have to.
Mine is doing that now that it's getting colder, I just ignore it.

Sponsored

ABRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR
I find the warning handy actually. Tire message pops up telling me pressures. Push button, message goes away. 30is psi is plenty for a stock Rubicon. Over inflating causes tires to wear faster and actually increases rolling resistance.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I find the warning handy actually. Tire message pops up telling me pressures. Push button, message goes away. 30is psi is plenty for a stock Rubicon. Over inflating causes tires to wear faster and actually increases rolling resistance.
Obviously false. Have you ever ridden a bicycle? How could more inflation cause more rolling resistance? Have you ever measure the increase?

Trini

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Clubs

33 is perfect. The recommended tire pressure is 37 and I feel every single bump in the road when I do that.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Been running the stock 33" KO2 at 37psi cold (~38 to 39 warm) for rural highway driving. Tried a few pounds lower and I think I prefer the handling/ride of the recommended pressure better.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
wibornz said:

I have a different opinion about Milestar Patagonia tires. Yes, I did own a set of them. I found Milestar Patagonia tires to be horrible. Like the worst tires I have ever owned. They were so terrible, that my old XJ with about 105 hp at the rear wheel would spin them on the roll with stock gearing in a 33x12.5r15 Patagonia tire. On damp pavement, it would spin them by accident. Remember an old XJ does not have traction control or anti lock brakes, or stability control like our new fancy Jeeps. So the XJ showed how horrible these tires really are because all the electronic controls would not mask their short comings like our new Jeeps do.

Literally they are so terrible, I would have to change the way I drove in wet conditions. Like the stock tiny brakes would lock up easily causing the XJ to go into a skid. The stock drum brakes, YES stock drum brakes would often overwhelm the Pats braking ability often even on dry pavement. So rain and snow they were horrible to the point that I would have to completely adjust my driving for their poor performance.

They are terrible in the mud compared to a quality tire like a Cooper STT PRO. So much so that an easy climb with the STT PRO, a Jeep with the Pats have to take another line because it can't make the climb.

A simple climb All three JLURs are aired down to 10 or twelve pounds, the only difference is the STT PRO are a 37x12.5r17 the the Pats are 35x12.5R17. So taller, but the same width of tire. All three Jeeps have their lockers on.

STT PRO

STT PROs and he even stops and re-starts not he climb with no problem

The JLUR on the Pats, never makes the climb and well I got tired of filming his failures.

I have easily got 50,000+ miles out of the Cooper STT PRO tires, or about twice the average mileage that people are getting out of a set of Patagonia tires. Meaning that a better tire that cost more is the actual value.

Whenever I see someone defending the terrible Milestar tires all I can think is good thing your Jeep has traction control and anti lock brakes because if you actually had to drive with those tire with no computer assistance, your opinion would change in a heart beat.

Sure Milestar sponsors many YouTubers and they give them great review because why, they are free. It is like watching Matts Off Road Recovery channel, he sings the praise for the Milestart tires, then you watch the channel and he is getting flats, sidewall failures, pulling them off the bead and so on and so on. But hey when you have new ones that you can throw on for free.......

I find it funny that Trail Recon ran them for a minute and then switched away from them. So did the Epic Family Adventure channel, and well so did Lite Brite.

Now Milestar are down sponsoring small Chanel YouTubers to stay relevant.

Sponsored

Last edited: