Sponsored

What's Your Most Overpriced Part Or Accessory?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a research hound, so I've got to agree with Scott above. Every part that I've gotten was scrutinized for hours, before I pulled the trigger.

The buy once cry once mentality has me always picking off the top shelf, so yeah, the tallied up carts can occasionally seem high. It's when I'm holding the parts and installing them, that I see where the extra coin has gone.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Factor 55 flat link: it’s pretty, but it’s unnecessary
I've got their Ultrahook. It's certainly well made and very attractive, but I wouldn't deem it unnecessary. I would go as far as saying that it's a bit overkill for most anyone who isn't doing recoveries on a regular basis. It'd take away some of the sting, if the rope guard was included.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
What's Your Most Overpriced Part Or Accessory?

Probably my 7" Mopar LED off road lights. They are pricey. But they are amazing.

But worse than that is the stuff I bought and for whatever reason, it just didn't work out. Sometimes one accessory will not play nice with another accessory. So I have a box in my garage of these types of accessories.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
AEV in general is extremely over priced for their stuff. as well as Warn winches. i will not pay 2000 bucks for a damn winch. i know the argument of you get what you pay for but my lord....... 2K Just my opinion dont bash me to hard LOL
Agree. I think it gets lost in the translation that winch motors, stoves, refrigerators,tv’s etc.are made by a hand full of manufacturers. It’s not uncommon to purchase an item, let’s say a lawn mower, if you look close the parts are the same even on more popular brands. Check out who made the parts.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I've got their Ultrahook. It's certainly well made and very attractive, but I wouldn't deem it unnecessary. I would go as far as saying that it's a bit overkill for most anyone who isn't doing recoveries on a regular basis. It'd take away some of the sting, if the rope guard was included.
I respectfully disagree. It’s clearly overkill for the sake of being overkill. Even if you make a living doing recovery it’s a nice to have but it’s function is to attach winch cable to recovery straps. A simple hook has been sufficient for decades.

Sponsored

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
My Ursa minor top - spec'd base model with me doing the electrical wiring to save on install cost about 7600. That was a big envelope of money fo sho.

OP
OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
My Ursa minor top - spec'd base model with me doing the electrical wiring to save on install cost about 7600. That was a big envelope of money fo sho.
Yea, but now you can rent the Jeep out on both Turo and Airbnb!

Last edited:

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Other than greed, there’s no good reason a $52,000* Sahara should have come without LEDs.

I had previously been pricing out an RST Z71 Chevy Silverado before switching to Jeep. For approximately the same price I paid for my Sahara Altitude, the Silverado has WAAAAAY more "creature comforts".

LED lights all the way around and inside, heated AND cooled seats, HUD, auto-up windows, power seats, the list goes on. Seemingly basic things.

I understand that Wranglers and Silverados, despite the similar naming themes, are different vehicles, but you'd think at least a Sahara trim would include more of those types of things.

I still love my Jeep, but this was a pretty tough pill to swallow.

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Like others have mentioned, I research ad nauseum. And then a research some more. But if I had to pick something off the Jeep I would say the Metalcloak fenders and liners. I do my best to live by 'lockers before lights' and avoid mods if they are aesthetic only before functional mods are complete. Fenders were not on the "lockers" list, but they were the first mod done. Those stock dumbo ears are not for me.

Sponsored

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I respectfully disagree. It’s clearly overkill for the sake of being overkill. Even if you make a living doing recovery it’s a nice to have but it’s function is to attach winch cable to recovery straps. A simple hook has been sufficient for decades.
I agree with you about almost all of the f55 parts as being unnecessary. In fact, any hook is entirely unneeded and is a potential failure point. The only parts that I would consider are a thimble (not the tube garbage that deforms so easily) or just leave them off and splice a loop at the end like I did. As far as a thimble, I'd more likely choose the original safety thimble although the f55 version isn't too bad for an imitation.

As for overpriced adds, I made the mistake on my previous Jeep and that is why I am very choosy about what I plan to do with my Jeep. Nothing, including the Warn M8000, is going to be overpriced. I believe that quality trumps cheap and inexpensive and although I don't plan to throw money away, I will not cheap out with crap parts.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Probably the $1500 Rockhard 4x4 aluminum bumper. But I wouldn't put a big heavy steel bumper on it. So this was the choice I made.
Same. Mine will be here Tuesday

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I believe that quality trumps cheap and inexpensive and although I don't plan to throw money away, I will not cheap out with crap parts.
The problem I'm having with my mods researching is telling the difference between "this costs more so it must be good" and "this is actually high-quality and justifies the price because of x, y, or z"

It'd be pretty easy to just buy the most expensive option and not necessarily have the best quality.

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
I'm one of those who order my Wranglers from the factory as I will drive it, that is stock, or only from what I can get from the factory. I do admit, I do add a 2" receiver hitch from etrailer, about $85.00. I will be ordering a new 2022 2dr Willys, it's all I need, or should I say all I ever needed. I feel added accessories will not increase the value of a Wrangler, that is the money you spend out of your pocket for accessories. A stock resale Wrangler will always bring top dollar and mine are just like new with low mileage, so accessories do nothing for me.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
^^^ this X 1000!

My repeated purchases must have paid for Warn’s new facility!

I drank the Warn Kool-Aid for decades. No doubt they make great winches, but they have priced themselves out of the market.

If you want a Warn winch that is made in USA you have to pay over $1,200. Anything below that price is made in China, so you are just paying for the name.

I couldn’t justify paying $2,000 for another Warn winch, so I did some research and ended up up buying a Quadratec Stealth-10 winch. For $600 I got 10,000 lbs of pulling power, a compact, one-piece cast body (like the Warn 9.5ti...one of my all-time favorite winches); both wired AND wireless controls, synthetic rope, and it even has a built-in LED light above the roller so I can see what I am doing in the dark. The controls, the electric motor and the body all have a high-quality look and feel to them, which is more than I can say about a made-in-China Warn VR-10 I bought a few years back.
Sponsored