Sponsored

What's your favourite type of transmission?

• Total voters

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Sponsored

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I found a great video explaining how eCVTs work (like in Prius/Pacifica):

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
For those that like manuals, why don't you just get an automatic or dct that lets you shift manually?

What's so great about having to operate a clutch pedal?

Help me to understand.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
For those that like manuals, why don't you just get an automatic or dct that lets you shift manually?

Help me to understand.
For some it's about control: we like to be the boss. Clutch not only gives you complete control over the gear, but also gives you gradations on a gear as you move the pedal: engaged, disengaged, and partially engaged.

More tactile and audio feedback on changing gears than you get with a paddle shifter. (I've only tried them once and found them unsatisfying, but maybe with more time...no, sorry, just no.)

Neutral becomes a tool, not just a brief blip between forward and reverse.

For me, it just makes driving driving. I understand it's not for everyone, but if you forced me to choose between an auto Wrangler and a manual coupe, I'd have to think long and hard despite my passion for open air driving.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
For me it’s about the relaxed state of use. Manual in heavy traffic especially on many hills is a PITA, but at the cottage, you can enjoy it tooling around on winding roads etc.

On longer drivers it doesn’t really matter, one in OD neither gets much action.

If I could only have one, I’d take a good shiftable auto, but I also want to hold on to my all-manual cottage Wrangler as long as I can, because it reminds me of my YJ from HS and is fun AF to drive.

Sponsored

CantThinkOfAHandle

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 RAV4, 2015 BMW Diesel Sports Wagon
I never owned an auto until three years ago, when it was the only transmission offered on my new wagon. I quickly discovered that autos are much nicer for hilly Seattle, and did not diminish the fun factor on paved highways. The wagon can be manually shifted with the knob or paddles, but I never use them.

For a Wrangler on back- and off-roads, I thought I would need and want a manual, for control and fun, but now I have my doubts on both accounts. If, as the first reviews seem to indicate, FCA has put more attention into improving the soft top than the manual, I'll get the auto. Which would be a shame, because I'm looking for a more active driving experience than my wagon can offer. I hope the in-depth reviews, with the supposedly fixed clutch issue, are more positive.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I prefer manual, but right now my Jeep has the 8 speed Auto. The "Manual" mode really isn't good for anything other than limiting my top gear while going down hill... and saps the fun out of actually shifting the gears yourself.

I usually just leave it in Drive and let it be an automatic. Its the same with the CVT in the Accord.

AdHerp

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jk -> 2018 JL

Help me to understand.
Similar to someone who likes to use hand tools versus power tools. Just the satisfaction in the work and added control, and automatics are sooo fricking boring!

i64X

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Golf GTI SE, 2015 Ducati Diavel Carbon, 2019 Ducati Panigale 959 Corse, 2019 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
Vehicle Showcase
Manual, depending on who makes it.

The manual in my current MX-5 and all of the Hondas/Acuras and Mazdas I've owned have been great.

The manual in my TJ was the biggest piece of garbage transmission ever. Sloppy as all get out. I drove a C5 Corvette with a manual once too, and that wasn't great.

Scott D Hall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sting-Gray Rubicon 2.0L Turbo, 2.5" Mopar Lift w/Fox Shocks, Rock-Slider PowerSteps, BigBoy Seat Rails / 2013 Jeep Rubicon 10th Anniversary (Son's car) / 2019 Porsche Cayenne (Wife's Rocket) / 2019 Skeeter SX250
You know all of the car makers are getting better at making a good automatic. However, there are some that still need work. I have owned a late model Toyota Sequoia and Nissan Armada both are gone, but the transmission was very lazy on the downshifts. I am through with manuals, just because I am lazy in my 40ish age, but I think the new JL transmission is pretty good for an auto...

I do think it is hard to beat a dual clutch for 0-60 times though...

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual

Help me to understand.
Had a PDK (Porsche dual clutch) in my dad's old Boxster, and I've had a Mustang with paddles

Might as well be asking what's so great about sex when you can masturbate, its basically the same thing.

I assume you don't know stick and haven't read if you do, but once ya learn and drive it, you'll understand
Sponsored