Sponsored

What's your favorite brand of sunglasses?

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
Yea for the motorcycle I buy cheap ones. Bought an expensive pair once and without neck strap attached turned to look behind me before changing lanes and WHOOOSH they flew off my face! LMAO. OK it did not help that I was doing 120 MPH at the time either.....

:cwl:
Kind of a case of « rookie mistake » and « you had it coming your way » kind of thing lol
Wiley X is what you want then. Had a set of these in Afghanistan, tactical/ballistic lenses, come with a set of temples AND a strap to secure them when needed (or ride bikes), come with different color lenses too (clear, tinted and yellow if I remember right) to adjust to activities/daylight.
Sponsored

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
That's how I feel about IPAs. I'm like, doesn't anyone make any other kind of beer anymore? Am I the only one who hates IPAs? But, then again, I like aviators, so go figure...
Same here, hate IPA (why do the have to be trendy ?! Lol), but grew to love aviator glasses. Thought they were silly at first when they brought em back like 10 years ago, but man they offer so much coverage ! And they’re a basic/classic to own too lol

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
+1 on Maui Jim. I LOVE mine. (MJ Sport)

Sponsored

snakevsplane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I always try to talk myself into getting some Raybans, Maui or nice type of Sunglasses that are $100+. But I always back out and go with a $10-20 pair. I just feel like I'm gonna break or lose them lol.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I always try to talk myself into getting some Raybans, Maui or nice type of Sunglasses that are $100+. But I always back out and go with a $10-20 pair. I just feel like I'm gonna break or lose them lol.
Check those earlier posts. You'll find, like most adults, the more you pay for something, the more likely you are to take good care of it. Plus, cheapos, besides not giving adequate UVA and UVB protection, can actually cause more harm to your inner eye. By creating darkness without filtering, they will cause your pupils to open wider and allow more harmful rays into your inner eye. Nature has us squint for a reason...

snakevsplane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm not really an expert but I really feel like I'm just paying for a brand name. I can buy a polarized pair of some offbrand on amazon for $12 that seems ok. Are the big brands really that much better for u?

Sponsored

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
I'm not really an expert but I really feel like I'm just paying for a brand name. I can buy a polarized pair of some offbrand on amazon for $12 that seems ok. Are the big brands really that much better for u?
A quality pair of sunglasses is 1000% worth the price, some are better then others and some garner a premium because of the name but really good optics are expensive and cannot be obtained in a polarized $12 pair of generic plastic... not knocking them, just realize there is a massive difference.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
A quality pair of sunglasses is 1000% worth the price, some are better then others and some garner a premium because of the name but really good optics are expensive and cannot be obtained in a polarized $12 pair of generic plastic... not knocking them, just realize there is a massive difference.
What he said.

The plastics are fine but the plastics can also be warped a bit either brand new or over time. You won't really notice it but it can affect your sight over time. Quality sun glasses are glass which is why they are more expensive. As stated above much better optics that last so long as you take care of them and better for your eyes.

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport S
Maui Jim’s for sure. I’ve had lots of Oakley’s and Raybans over the years but this is my first pair of MJ and they are by far the best I’ve owned. They were the most expensive for sure but the lense clarity and polarization is way better than I’ve ever had from anyone else.

Simulacra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R UL
Ray Bans or Maui Jim. I keep a pair of Maui Jim in the car because the lens is polarized and I can go fishing or camping with them.

Ray Bans for every day because I need dat street cred.

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
Maui Jims. I have hookipa model which has a nice wrap and is great with the Jeep top down.

I have tried many/most brands including Randolph (which is nicely made), Oakleys, Dillons, RayBan and Smiths. When I go outside and do a side by side the Maui's are always the sharpest optics.
Sponsored