Sponsored

What's your favorite brand of sunglasses?

tcadaniel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi
Hey all,

Today is my birthday(49) and I'm thinking of a new pair or sunglasses. I usually buy Oakleys but they seem so cheap for the money. What does everyone here like???
Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Something cheap from target or similar. Mainly so I can throw them in holders/travel bag and not worry.

Funny though, I never wore sunglasses. Wife got me wearing them a couple years ago, now I HAVE to wear them driving or outside. I just broke that pair and had to pick from a limited selection at the store. Hash tag seriously first world problems.

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
Persol. Strong, hold up well. And sides don't stretch out from heat or use.

Sponsored

JDP

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Really like Native! They have a no matter what happens warranty they replace them for 35 bucks! Plus the glasses and especially the lenses are really durable. They are also made by Costa

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Hey all,

Today is my birthday(49) and I'm thinking of a new pair or sunglasses. I usually buy Oakleys but they seem so cheap for the money. What does everyone here like???
Randolph Sunglasses. They're made in Massachusetts to military spec (originally made for military pilots) and the lenses are heavy duty. Each pair comes with a little repair kit (double screwdriver, screws, nose pads), so they're kinda Jeep-like. Once you get a pair, you'll notice how many you see on TV (Ray Donovan was the first time I saw mine) on shows or on military personnel. In my opinion, the standard issue Aviators are the most bad ass and the finest sunglasses I've ever owned at any price (I've had them all).

Depending on the style, prices are on par with Oakley's and Ray Ban's (same company) or Maui Jim's and you get a much better, American made product than you ever will from those brands (which used to be made in the US, now many styles/components made in China). Get on the mailing list before Fathers' Day and you may get a promo. https://www.randolphusa.com/

AF5R663.jpg

Last edited:

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
All mine are polarized, my eyes are really
light sensitive after a couple decades of welding.. I like Revo because they have a couple pairs that are designed to repel water. Also as mentioned above Maui Jim.. Main thing is what you intend to use them for..... Ray Ban’s are pretty durable and they run pretty large. I like my Oakley’s but they seem to scratch easy... when I’m fishing its either Maui Jim or Revo, I have a pair for bright sun which is Revo and Maui Jim is for overcast days... if you’re wheelin with the windshield down in your Jeep you’ll want a pair that’s shatter proof as well.. ANSI rated to I believe Z80.3-2018...last thing is cost, don’t buy a pair you can’t afford to break or lose and NEVER let the wife get ahold of your Sunglass Hut card!!! ... LOL.... I can’t count how many pairs I’ve seen go overboard in the summer off my ski boat!!

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
Randolph Sunglasses. They're made in Massachusetts to military spec (originally made for military pilots) and the lenses are heavy duty. Each pair comes with a little repair kit (double screwdriver, screws, nose pads), so they're kinda Jeep-like. Once you get a pair, you'll notice how many you see on TV (Ray Donovan was the first time I saw mine) on shows or on military personnel. In my opinion, the standard issue Aviators are the most bad ass and the finest sunglasses I've ever owned at any price (I've had them all).

Depending on the style, prices are on par with Oakley's and Ray Ban's (same company) or Maui Jim's and you get a much better, American made product than you ever will from those brands (which used to be made in the US, now many styles/components made in China). Get on the mailing list before Fathers' Day and you may get a promo. https://www.randolphusa.com/

AF5R663.jpg
Haven’t tried these yet...look like a good option!!

LennyV

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl
Check out Dillon optics. I don't have a pair because I have to many sunglasses now but have been wanting a pair for a while.

Sponsored

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
love Randolphs... they basically replaced RayBan for quality American made aviators. but they are expensive.
a much cheaper option that is just as good is American Optical. made in USA, mil spec aviators and vastly customizeable.
https://aoeyewear.com/

JDMRN81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU, 2018 GC Altitude
Occupation
RN, doctoral student
Another vote for Maui Jim. I'm also a Ray-Ban aviator fan.....but you must have the right facial structure to pull them off.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
love Randolphs... they basically replaced RayBan for quality American made aviators. but they are expensive.
a much cheaper option that is just as good is American Optical. made in USA, mil spec aviators and vastly customizeable.
https://aoeyewear.com/
Yeah, but once you start customizing the aviators with polarized, polycarbonate lenses and matte chrome frames, you're back above $140, which is where the Randolphs are anyway. I agree, AO gives you the lower priced options that Randolph doesn't, but who's buying the lower end ones anyway? It's a lot like getting a JL Sport S over a Rubicon: once you're done with the add-ons, you have to figure out which is the better value.

Plus: AO warranty-1 year. Randolph warranty-Lifetime (and they mean it)
https://www.andytraveler.com/digital-nomad-blog/randolph-engineering-vs-american-optical/
https://dappered.com/2015/07/the-difference-between-randolph-engineering-and-ao-sunglasses/

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
As an Optician, I’d say Maui Jim is ahead of others on lens quality...
The main question is which style you want.
Oakleys are good, I have a fee pair of these, but their lenses (polycarbonate renamed in « Plutonite » to make it sound cooler and less cheap lol) will never beat MJ’s.
Never carried owned or sold the Randolph so I couldn’t speak of these, but their style is nice, and you got me interested here lol; even if my wife would kill me if I was buying some, I have like 20 pairs (Just sunglasses, about as much or more of clear Rx glasses lol)
BUT GUYS, get polarized ! I actually mentioned to my wife last night as we were driving to the restaurant to celebrate the delivery of the JL, with those flat hoods (JLUR are a bit better with the vents), when you drive west at the end of the day, or East in the morning, the sun is gonna reflect on these and I was happy to have mine on ;)
Sponsored